Thread: Kali 2.0 black screen after boot menu

Kali 2.0 black screen after boot menu

Hi !

I have a problem with the new Kali 2.0 release. I can get to Kali boot menu and select to boot from usb.
    The screen goes plain black and stucked there, no GUI/terminal can be accessed. Ctrl + Alt + F1 dont work. There's no any blinking cursor, but i noticed the backlight of the screen is working. I use usb 2.0 and with Kali 1.1.0a version all works fine. I can`t install it to see the logs because i don`t have a hdd in laptop.

My lapotp is Asus k53u :
    - AuthenticAMD E-350
    - Radeon HD 6310
    - 2048mb synchronous 1333 MHz
    - no hdd

What can i do to make it work ?

Quote Originally Posted by freshy2k View Post
    Hi !

I have a problem with the new Kali 2.0 release. I can get to Kali boot menu and select to boot from usb.
    The screen goes plain black and stucked there, no GUI/terminal can be accessed. Ctrl + Alt + F1 dont work. There's no any blinking cursor, but i noticed the backlight of the screen is working. I use usb 2.0 and with Kali 1.1.0a version all works fine. I can`t install it to see the logs because i don`t have a hdd in laptop.

My lapotp is Asus k53u :
    - AuthenticAMD E-350
    - Radeon HD 6310
    - no hdd

I struggled with this all evening when trying to install Kali 2.0. I believe the problem has to do with discrete graphics in some laptops; mine has Intel HD4000 & Nvidia NVS5200 via Optimus technology. To resolve the issue i had to add "vga=868" as a boot option before I could boot into the graphical install. Once installed, everything ran fine and I didn't need to make that a permanent change in grub. I ran into 'other' issues installing KALI 2.0 however; grub installation issues and /cdrom not being detected etc etc etc etc etc.....lots of dropping to the shell, chrooting, mounting the usb as cdrom, manually installing grub etc to resolve my issues.

I get the same issue, No matter which selection i take on the main menu on the boot. I either hang at the main menu with no screen change or just go to black screen and hang there. I even tried letting it sit and it did nothing for 30 minutes on a Dell Precision M4800 workstation class laptop.

I'm having the exact same problem. I installed it twice on two different hard drives. I can get the GUI selector screen to pop up and then I get /dev1/sda1: clean, 340018/30015488 files, 3926736/120034048 blocks. And then it goes black screen and I get absolutely nothing.

Brand new laptop Elitebook 8570p, 2 brand new HD's 1SSD and other regular 7500rpm 500gb. Both Graphical installs, utilizing the entire disk.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with the first Kali Linux Version on 2013. Maybe this will help you http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by X0rCode View Post
    I had the same problem with the first Kali Linux Version on 2013. Maybe this will help you http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

Good Luck
    YOU sir have saved me valuable hours worth of downtime. I very much appreciate the help.

Now to figure out what the default login is since I definitely do not remember creating user accounts during setup

Quote Originally Posted by c0ntra View Post
    To resolve the issue i had to add "vga=868" as a boot option before I could boot into the graphical install. Once installed, everything ran fine and I didn't need to make that a permanent change in grub.
    I tryed but i dosen`t work for live boot. The graphical install works, but i don`t have a hdd for it ..

Good Luck
    Salut ! Thank you for the replay but is not working for me . All i succeed was to see a blurry-blue Kali image on the top of the monitor for about 2 seconds.

Can you turn of your Radeon HD 6310 in BIOS ? Mostly this will help too.

use the live option? graphical install didn't work for me neither, go live and install that way worked around

Save changes to Grub?

Good Luck
    That worked for me but is there anyway to save the changes to the grub? I hate having to enter those commands each time I boot up Kali.

@X0rCode Thank you very much Sir ! After i enable high usb speed from usb i finally run kali 2.0 .

Now i just to figure out why network is not woking.

l.e:
    for networking :

Code:
    systemctl enable NetworkManager.service ;
    /etc/init.d/network-manager start ;
    /etc/init.d/networking start ;
    Last edited by freshy2k; 2015-08-14 at 15:11.

I struggled with this all evening when trying to install Kali 2.0. I believe the problem has to do with discrete graphics in some laptops; mine has Intel HD4000 & Nvidia NVS5200 via Optimus technology. To resolve the issue i had to add "vga=868" as a boot option before I could boot into the graphical install. Once installed, everything ran fine and I didn't need to make that a permanent change in grub. I ran into 'other' issues installing KALI 2.0 however; grub installation issues and /cdrom not being detected etc etc etc etc etc.....lots of dropping to the shell, chrooting, mounting the usb as cdrom, manually installing grub etc to resolve my issues.
    man, can you explain this process to me more clearly and detailed? I have this problem-black screen-please, I need help.

Can you explain the procedure you did with more clarity and details? I have this problem-black screen, I need help. Please.

i have the same problemem, but im booting from a dvd, on a uefi windows 8.1 , black screed , nothing , happens , try , tried to enable,disable nvidia card , still not working . what can i do , pls help me .
    Last edited by Dottieee; 2015-08-15 at 18:12.

Good Luck

I followed the tutorial to the letter link and, in part, solved my problem. The system starts when I add "radeon.modeset=0" on the command line, however, too slow, as if he were running Live. I tried putting "radeonhd.modeset=0." However, with this command the system doesn't teach. Know how to solve this problem? I'm going crazy with this =D

Hi,

I tried working on the problem following the tutorial posted above but no luck. In the end I solved the problem, not sure how it worked but I'm gonna describe the process hoping it helps someone else.

So after booting both from live and persistent install, I kept getting the black screen and white cursor on top:

It worked for me by booting into rescue mode, and apt-upgrade the system and rebooting! It sounds stupid but it worked.

Additional info: I don't think apt-upgrade was crucial to this, but rather booting into rescue mode changed something..and it worked, twice!

Worth a shot!

Hey Guys,

I found a solution!

My issue was once selecting boot from disc, it was just a black screen. No mouse or anything.

After messing with everything, literally everything for hours I found a solution that worked for me. Just install the minimal version of KALI, once installed run "sudo apt-get install kali-linux-full".

Hope this helps some of you

Quote Originally Posted by freshy2k View Post
    Hi !

My lapotp is Asus k53u :
    - AuthenticAMD E-350
    - Radeon HD 6310
    - no hdd

Only thing you did wrong was you choose the install grub loader to be "Enter device manually". Choose "/dev/sda" during installation.

Capture.jpg
    See the picture above

Hate to necro, but I spent a good portion of the night fighting with this issue, so I thought I'd share my fix.

In my case, it was the fact that the Nvidia display drivers either weren't installed, or weren't working properly. I installed Kali with Unetbootin, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. Also, my monitor is pretty high res, 2560x1440 (144hz), running off a GTX 970.

Anyway, pretty easy fix. I just had to change the primary display adapter to the onboard one in the BIOS, and plug the monitor into the onboard graphics card. This got me into Kali, then I updated the whole machine with:

update-grub
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt install -y ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit

Restarted, changed the display adapter back to the GTX970 in the BIOS, and everything is running fine.