Thread: [HELP] Kali Linux - Macbook Pro 2015

Angry [HELP] Kali Linux - Macbook Pro 2015

Hey Kali forums,

I'm having a bunch of issues and I really don't know what is going wrong. I'm trying to Live Boot kali linux (1.1 & 2.0) on my macbook pro 2015 running yosemite 10.10.3. The past couple days have been a struggle to say the least.
    I first tried following the steps found here. With 1.1 I would just get a black screen when I would try to run it. However I just attempted again recently with 2.0 and I got a very small bootup screen in the top left corner. I could move the selection around but when ever I hit ENTER, the screen would go black and nothing would happen.
    Here are some images I took of that (apologize for the blur)

http://i.imgur.com/HegIqDZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Kzama60.png

I haven't tried doing these on 2.0, but I've tried doing this with 1.1:
    - Using Mac Linux USB Loader
    - Converting the .iso to .dmg and using the dd command in terminal
    - Converting the .iso to .img and using the dd command in terminal

I really need help on this, if anyone could help me in the slightest it's really appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungletoe View Post
    Hey Kali forums,

I'm having a bunch of issues and I really don't know what is going wrong. I'm trying to Live Boot kali linux (1.1 & 2.0) on my macbook pro 2015 running yosemite 10.10.3. The past couple days have been a struggle to say the least.
    I first tried following the steps found here. With 1.1 I would just get a black screen when I would try to run it. However I just attempted again recently with 2.0 and I got a very small bootup screen in the top left corner. I could move the selection around but when ever I hit ENTER, the screen would go black and nothing would happen.
    Here are some images I took of that (apologize for the blur)

http://i.imgur.com/HegIqDZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Kzama60.png

I haven't tried doing these on 2.0, but I've tried doing this with 1.1:
    - Using Mac Linux USB Loader
    - Converting the .iso to .dmg and using the dd command in terminal
    - Converting the .iso to .img and using the dd command in terminal

I really need help on this, if anyone could help me in the slightest it's really appreciated!
    After following the instructions under the title "Creating a Bootable Kali USB Drive on OS X" from the link you posted, all you should have to do is reboot with the usb drive still in your Mac. When you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key. You should see Apple boot menu and select the drive that says "Windows". From there you should see the Grub boot menu and just select the live option.

I tried that. It didn't say windows it said 'EFI' but when I tried to run that it would display the menu in top left (however it was a lot smaller as shown in the pictures) and when I selected live boot, I would just get a black screen and nothing would happen.

My macbooks specs are -
    Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB
    Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

If you have any other ideas, please help me!

I had a Windows drive and an EFI drive but I also have windows installed. Clicking the windows drive starts up windows. Clicking the EFI drive freeze my computer.

Please update this thread if you find a solution! Have the same issue, just even without keyboard support.

I'm not sure if its the way you created the usb drive or not but you should have the highlighted option (photo1) available to select. After selecting that option, I'm able to boot successfully (photo2).

I'm on a mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro; Core i7 2.5 GHz; 16 GB RAM

photo1.jpg
    photo2.jpg

I'm having the exact same issue as Jungletoe. What process did you follow to create the bootable USB, sil3ntcor3?

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntcor3 View Post
    I'm not sure if its the way you created the usb drive or not but you should have the highlighted option (photo1) available to select. After selecting that option, I'm able to boot successfully (photo2).

I'm on a mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro; Core i7 2.5 GHz; 16 GB RAM

photo1.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    When I option-boot my 2015 Retina iMac with Kali 2.0 on USB, I see the 'Windows' option as in your first photo and the Kali boot options menu as in your second photo. However, when I option-boot with the same Kali USB on my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro, I only see the EFI drive and the Kali boot options menu looks like Jungletoe's (in a small block at the top left of a dark screen), that is if it even loads at all.

Am I missing something to make this work properly on my MacBook?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue as Jungletoe. What process did you follow to create the bootable USB, sil3ntcor3?
    I'm using the process located here ... http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install ... under the heading "Creating a Bootable Kali USB Drive on OS X". The only thing I'm doing different, and it shouldn't affect the end result, is i use bs=4096k so that the process goes a bit quicker.

I'll try doing that, did you use the .iso? I don't get a windows option, just the efi.

I still haven't found a solution guys but I won't give up. If anyone finds one, PLEASE take the time and come to this thread and reply. It will help a lot of people!

I'll try doing that, did you use the .iso? I don't get a windows option, just the efi.

I still haven't found a solution guys but I won't give up. If anyone finds one, PLEASE take the time and come to this thread and reply. It will help a lot of people!
    Yes ... I used the following iso ... http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2.0/kal...-2.0-amd64.iso.

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntcor3 View Post
    Yes ... I used the following iso ... http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2.0/kal...-2.0-amd64.iso.
    Ok I'm going to re-try it. I think I'm going to purchase a new usb. I don't know if that would cause any problems but it's worth a shot. I might have to run this in VM and get a network adapter.

I'm using MBP 2015 and had this problem too. I solved this problem by booting with both Ubuntu (any UEFI bootable Linux usb drive except Kali) and Kali live usb plugged in, and after installing we have to deal with network driver.

need a bit of guidance ..
    I was using Kali on Macbook pro , but now as 2.0 is out i want to do a clean install rather than updating it ..
    SO i followed the procedure
    1. created a Live USB ..
    2. Turned off macbook , pressed the power button and imed pressed the Options key
    3. It launched the boot options .. plugged in the USB .
    4. It popped up the new boot option with label "Windows" and having the USB ICon on drive ..
    so i selected that ..
    5. IT just shows a Blank screen with a blinking cursor on top left and no progress at all ..

so this is where i am boggled , where i am going wrong here ?

Thanks in advance .. even any links or small hints will be great help for me :/

although the same USB works fine if i boot it on VM or from a PC .. why not in macbook :/

Quote Originally Posted by yzh503 View Post
    I'm using MBP 2015 and had this problem too. I solved this problem by booting with both Ubuntu (any UEFI bootable Linux usb drive except Kali) and Kali live usb plugged in, and after installing we have to deal with network driver.
    I wonder how this works? But I'm going to try that. My MBP 2015 only has one usb port, so I'm going to use one of those external ports to plug in both usb's. Thanks for the reply! Will update with results.

I wonder how this works? But I'm going to try that. My MBP 2015 only has one usb port, so I'm going to use one of those external ports to plug in both usb's. Thanks for the reply! Will update with results.
    I'm not sure whether this approach works on extended port. I guess the cause of freezing boot loader is that when bootROM passes control to boot loader, boot loader could not find driver and kernel extensions in certain cache. BUT if ubuntu's linux driver and kernel extensions was loaded into the cache, the kali boot loader would be able to find something that it needs to boot linux. This guess is based on apple kernel development guide https://developer.apple.com/library/...g/booting.html

Here is how I got it working on Macbook Pro 2015. And as yzh503 said, we will have to deal with network drivers after the install.

1) Download and install rEFind with the following command (use without quotes).
    "sudo ./install.sh --notesp"

2) Create a bootable USB using the following tutorial.
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

3) Restart the machine and keep holding "Option" Key until you see the boot menu.

4) Select the "EFI Boot" or whatever the name of your bootable device is.

Voila!!! You should now be able to live boot or install Kali Linux 2.0 on your machine.