Thread: Kali 2.0 good or bad?

Question Kali 2.0 good or bad?

I was all excited about it. It looks pretty. I've been running Kali since it first came out and before that Backtrack. A few problems here and there but nothing like 2.0. Its noticeably slower for me than 1.1.0. A bunch of things are broken and its just making me want to pee my pants and cry. I'm going to try it out awhile but if it keeps misbehaving and not playing well with my system I will send it to the land of format and go back to 1.1.0.

Whats your experience with it so far?

If its slower for you - switch from Kali (GNOME) to Kali Light (XFCE) - then install the rest of the tool set apt-get install kali-linux-full.
    I've personally been using XFCE since Kali 1.x - https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ky-Sys-Monitor

What things are broken?
    If you don't report them - they will not get fixed.
    That's why we have a bug tracker - https://bugs.kali.org/
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-08-14 at 07:33.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

[QUOTE=g0tmi1k;47901]I switch from Kali (GNOME) to Kali Light (XFCE) - then install the rest of the tool set apt-get install kali-linux-full.

This method does not work

I really like 2.0, I think it is so amazing they put in tons of work added a bunch of stuff that wasnt there before that should have been. I' am dual booting kali with win 10 on a lenovo yoga 2 11, and 1.1.0 didnt work well at all on the yoga 2 11. I think kali 2.0 is way more compatible with this machine. I would have given anything for 1.1.0 to work as good as it does now. My trackpad scrolling works, a bunch of missing drivers are now there and so forth. Im sorry you are having an ehhh experience but I love it. For sure any bugs make sure to report them please.

I didn't use Kali very much, I am a bit used to BackBox, Ubuntu and Windows and I didn't find the Kali 2.0 interface very user friendly.

• I cannot properly switch from one window to another, only by ALT+TAB or by moving cursor to left side of the screen and wait for the small dock menu to show up there, then select a window.
    • The top taskbar is not very informative and on a quick look I cannot find a way to customize it, it has no right click menu, in BackBox for example I have active windows there, I can add network traffic and other indicators there.
    • On Lenovo Thinkpad, I cannot scroll with middle Thinkpad button, from on Ubuntu this worked by default, on BackBoox too I think with latest updates.
    • 2.0 Feels very slow for some reason.
    • I do like that you have a search box for all programs, you can easy jump to any program, almost easy because that search box is a few clicks away.
    • I like that it has many tools available, many more than BackBox from what I can tell.
    • The community (and forums, tutorials) is much larger than what BackBox has but that is a general Kali thing (not a 2.0 specific thing).

is possible to install old style ?

How to run Kali 2.0 without fail potassium that? My every error ak

@ g0tmi1k
    Correct me if i'm wrong but with "Kali Light" you mean installing the mini iso (with XFCE in that case), right? Because this is what i would recommend too. and i'm relativ new to kali linux. i work for my company as a sysadmin and from time to time i scan webs for vulnerabilities via script in burp suite etc. the point is that pentesting is a known subject for me and kali is not. nevertheless i dont use a fully loaded kali on most of my devices or virtual machines, not anymore. because after you left the "play arround" thing behind you, kali should not be the place to save private things or uses where you better take a "standard" pc with capabilities to install software without blowing up the system. or in other words: using kali as daily office work system is like you make a house moving with a Ferrari
    so if you want to use this serious then build small versions via metapacks and see if the performance is adequate. kali is an armory for many cool projects, but dont take to much with you if it not absolutly unnecessary. this leads to flexibility, less on vulnerability and better understanding of attacking hardened and specilized systems

p.s. sry my english may not be the best

I think that with its new ..... is good but a bit slow and there are some problems, for example, the firewall does not work correctly even if you update your system look deep into this video
    https://vimeo.com/137000753
    In the previous release there were quick ways to open ports such as HTTP 80 and SSL 21 and service metasploit and service postgresql
    but only now service beef and service dradis and openvas
    but in general I'm seeing good

Quote Originally Posted by fruchttiger00x0 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but with "Kali Light" you mean installing the mini iso (with XFCE in that case), right?
    yes. In this version of Kali you can install only what you need and want to use.
    This is good options for someone who wants to use only few specific tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Frankenstein View Post
    I was all excited about it. It looks pretty. I've been running Kali since it first came out and before that Backtrack. A few problems here and there but nothing like 2.0. Its noticeably slower for me than 1.1.0. A bunch of things are broken and its just making me want to pee my pants and cry. I'm going to try it out awhile but if it keeps misbehaving and not playing well with my system I will send it to the land of format and go back to 1.1.0.

Whats your experience with it so far?
    I have tried sana 2.0 before it is released . i have something same experience with you . slow response . but i found that , it is very awsome in UI . and have driver for HD4600 . more easy to control . and hotkeys .make your works convenience . i thought that if you would like more good experience in looking . it is better to use 2.0 .

Kali Linux 2 is so boring

Quote Originally Posted by g0tmi1k View Post
    If its slower for you - switch from Kali (GNOME) to Kali Light (XFCE) - then install the rest of the tool set apt-get install kali-linux-full.
    I've personally been using XFCE since Kali 1.x - https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ky-Sys-Monitor

What things are broken?
    If you don't report them - they will not get fixed.
    That's why we have a bug tracker - https://bugs.kali.org/
    e.g. ettercap is not working, I am using the kali 2.0 virtualbox image, like I mentioned in my post: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ot-starting-up

And I have no access to bug submission site, saying access from my country is denied. So, could you help?

If I could figure out a good clean way to install all the Kali pentest tools in Mint, I might switch distros. For now, it appears that I'll be going back to 1.1.0.

Google it - its there.......

Quote Originally Posted by Saddiq View Post
    If I could figure out a good clean way to install all the Kali pentest tools in Mint, I might switch distros. For now, it appears that I'll be going back to 1.1.0.
    Use google, there is lots of tutorials on how to install kali and backbox tools in ubuntu based distros.

I think kali 2.0 is better ,after i used some day . with gnome 3.14.1 .

it is very convenience for choose from every programs . and with owsome looking .

easy to select applications .

this can get your work faster .

As the new version , there are many bugs also , I think .it will be fixed in the near future time .

Better!? Way not..

Quote Originally Posted by when123 View Post
    I have tried sana 2.0 before it is released . i have something same experience with you . slow response . but i found that , it is very awsome in UI . and have driver for HD4600 . more easy to control . and hotkeys .make your works convenience . i thought that if you would like more good experience in looking . it is better to use 2.0 .
    If you want to use Kali like before, stay on older version, or even on BT5R2.

Don't know what's the point of 2.0, but it looks like Android System, "user friendly" in a bad way with that GUI and Icons.

I don't trust in Kali 2.0...

I upgraded 1.0.9 last night to 2.0.
    I am running a dual boot MacBook Pro (late 2009) with OS X Mavericks and Kali with UEFI.

I am aware of the issues of running non-Apple OSs on Apple hardware (e.g. running hotter than it should), but that's an issue with any OS I've run on the hardware.

So far, everything I have tested, including all mouse functionality is working.

I have to small nits to pick with this setup:
    1 - booting is now about 8X slower than it was under 1.0.9 as there are a number of items in the boot sequence that wait for something to happen.
    2 - I need to figure out how to get my 6 virtual desktops back with hot-key switching (I see there are 2 virtual desktops on the right side of the menu bar but I have lost my hot-key switching).

Kali 2 is superb. freezes and slowness can be cured usually with xfce. It's really a nice new distro. It can be spiced up to your liking and can also have Cairo dock, or docky. and kwin installed for extra graphical goodness.
    A+

Hi,

Just installed 2.0, so far all the tools I've had a quick look at run fine, but the UI is ****** horrible, everything take three times a long to do now. If it's not broke, don't fix it until it i!

~Mex

what are you guys talking about kali 2.0 is awsome, it has alot of fixes although some are still there but i think its better then 1.0 as several drivers problems are fixed and also then GUI is very cool, quick, and to me is very friendly even sometimes i mix it with other OS i use and preffer kali new GUI, it isn't slow even an old machine of mine can run it very good, the only thing is the developers should fix some remaining bugs in the next release, and also as for as i think its interactions and tools shouldn't be that easy to use so that a novice or a skiddie can use it in the first run as we are talking about a powerful penetration testing linux distro.

I've personally been very pleased with Kali Sana. All my old favorites are there, and it seems to run well on all my hardware.

I think kali 2 broken cause i alway have to shutdown and when i force the reboot or shutdown command it freeze. Then again restart it it wont continue it stack, even i use recovery still donsnt work. I already install three times the kali 2 but when shutting it then freeze again. I hope you can fix this coz i love this system.

I'm not seeing the behavior you describe, Rodin...and I have multiple Kali Rolling installs on a variety of hardware. I'd check the output of dmesg, and also check logfiles in /var/log.