Thread: Working on a Windows 10 and Kali 2.0 dual boot with UEFI installation.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Working on a Windows 10 and Kali 2.0 dual boot with UEFI installation.

Working on this and running into some issues. First I'm using the UEFI install from the forums but it is for an older version of Kali. I admit i'm rather new to the UEFI process, installing via MBR is no problem, but I don't want to lose my Windows 10 partitions.

Performing the USB live afterinstalling Kali 2.0 to USB via Rufus. Putting the EFI files in /EFI/Boot, the USB boots to grub just fine, but any selection comes up with kernel has to be loaded first. Kernel is in /live as grub.cfg is set. Here is my grub.cfg file

Code:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS
    #
    # Linux Grub
    # -------------------------
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #
    # root=UUID=556feb5a-aa31-4dc0-91ba-1fc416f045c6 persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" {
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" {
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz
    }
    Anyone else working with this as well?

Also, keep in mind when I installed Windows 10, I left about 100gb at the end. Here is my partition scheme..

GPT
    Disk 0, Part 0: 300MB Recovery Part
    Disk 0, Part 1: 100MB EFI System Part
    Disk 0, Part 2: 832GB Boot Windows 10
    Disk 0, Part 3: 450MB Recovery Part
    Disk 0, ****: 97GB Unallocated (Where I plan to install Kali)

Any other information, please let me know

What im trying now is taking the efi and boot dirs from linuxmint 17.1 and see if I can make that work. Ill post my findings..

Dude, can you explain in more detail? You used this method to install the Kali 2.0 on your machine ? I'm a huge problem with this new Kali. I can install OS usually starts Grub but the system does not charge at all. What intrigues me most is that it Live wheel well. I installed Kali 1.1.0a and made the upgrade as taught at the project site and , to my surprise , the system loaded. However, did not pass the login page . I put " root" as the user name and my password but it gave an error . I need help

Now I am working with REFInd and easyuefi to try and build a usb live install for kali. Its taking a bit of time but this seems like the best option. Ive installed refind and it has replaced the Windows boot loader and o am able to boot into windows 10 just fine. Now to get kali installed to the 100gb partition that is GPT. Anyone else have any more info theyd like to share?

I did run into interesting point. Burned the kali image. Booted into refind.. it finds the kali cd. Will not find it on the usb drive.. digging deeper. This means the config files on the usb need to reflect the usb drive I imagine.

Ok, Making a bit more headway, downloaded the Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop x64 image and copied BOOT and EFI folders over to USB.
    I had reformatted my USB stick to GPT and just copied the files from the CD over to the USB.

Made changes to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg by changing the first selection:

Code:
    menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
    	set gfxpayload=keep
    	linux	/live/vmlinuz.efi boot=live quiet splash ---
    	initrd	/live/initrd.img
    }
    Booted up, failed on a few things ( Failed to start Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon ) and I am presented with a black screen. Control Alt 1 gets me to a login prompt. I login and begin checking logs. Xorg log is not really showing anything unless someone can help with decoding it because i'm not seeing any outright errors other than possible udev not functioning correctly.

Still working with this, any help would be greatly appreciated

For my laptop the mini image did not work at all.
    So use main image or lite, use Win32 Disk Imager and flash iso to usb.
    Plug it in and in BIOS choose USB as first device and volia it will start Kali USB.

Warning for those on UEFI, by mistake I deleted EFI patition and now I have lost ability to boot into windows. So will need to start Win 10 from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
    Plug it in and in BIOS choose USB as first device and volia it will start Kali USB.

Warning for those on UEFI, by mistake I deleted EFI patition and now I have lost ability to boot into windows. So will need to start Win 10 from scratch.
    Try REFInd to regain control of your windows partition. Ive replaced windows boot manager with REFInd and its booting fine. Thank you for replying and sharing your thoughts on it. Ill download the kali lite and see if I get better results. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by drarkanex View Post
    Try REFInd to regain control of your windows partition. Ive replaced windows boot manager with REFInd and its booting fine. Thank you for replying and sharing your thoughts on it. Ill download the kali lite and see if I get better results. Thank you again
    I already tried that. It still only detects second HD with Kali.
    Odd thing is, even my BIOS cant see my SSD with Windows but Kali can see and write to it.

I already tried that. It still only detects second HD with Kali.
    Odd thing is, even my BIOS cant see my SSD with Windows but Kali can see and write to it.
    As I've been reading thru the UEFI spec, don't get BIOS and UEFI Firmware mixed in together. They are two totally separate things. However, I know what you're talking about and in BIOS, make sure that UEFI is set on, SecureBoot enabled or disabled doesn't really matter, but if you are running any type of Legacy, Your windows 10 partition will not be seen. Be sure to have on the EFI partition, the one that is 100MB, make sure that /EFI/REFInd is in there with the Refind binaries in place. System should reboot into Refind however making the Refind boot first is something that needs to be done with a EFI Manager like EasyUEFI or efimanager in Linux. Also Windows 10 wants the REFInd EFI Partition to be named "Windows Boot Manager", Windows 10 is very picky about it's UEFI Firmware.

Anybody got sucess in duel booting kali 2 and win 10 in GPT partion !!!
    I did tried and even sucessfully install kali 2 on win 10 pro but the thing happend for me was Grub 2 didn't show up when i booted(turnon) my laptop, it just opened win10 directly and when i checked the partion there exists Linux installation drive(ext4 root and swap in GPT ). I also tried to use EasyBCD and EasyUEFI , it didn't worked as well
    .... If anyone has sucessfully duel booted Want some help here

Also can't boot from kali installation

I'm having the exact same problem, has anyone figured out a solution? I've dual booted machines before, but this new windows10 junk is really a pain. I'm not sure if I should just kill the windows OS and go strictly linux or find a work around.

Wink

I took necromantik's advice and downloaded the Light version of Kali 2.0. Just want to say thanks again nekromantik. That bit of advice was the missing link my friend... thank you. Anyways, to make a long story short, I have completed the install of Windows 10 and Kali 2.0 Dual boot on x64 using REFInd. For some reason, the Full Live CD of Kali wouldn't work, kept getting invalid signatures. Didn't change my grub config at all. And during install, it kept erroring out on the grub install so I skipped it, rebooted, in REFInd, Kali logo showed up, clicked on it.. Bam.. Onto the Kali Desktop.

So, Here are my steps in case someone would like to repeat this..
    1> Full Install of Windows 10 completed, left 100GB at the end of the hard drive.
    2> Installed REFInd into the EFI (S Drive) by mounting the S drive in windows and copying the REFInd directory to the /EFI folder under the S drive
    3> Used EasyUEFI in windows to set the REFInd EFI directory to the default by moving it all the way to the top.
    4> Rebooted to ensure REFInd is the first thing that pops up, went back into windows
    5> Formatted my 16GB flash drive to GPT, FAT32.
    6> Copied the files from the Kali Light directly to the flash drive
    7> From the Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Live CD, copied /boot and /EFI to the flash drive root
    8> Edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg to reflect where the live filesystem was on the flash drive
    Code:
    menuentry "Kali Live" {
       set gfxpayload=keep
       linux   /live/vmlinuz boot=live quiet splash ---
       initrd   /live/initrd.img
    }
    9> rebooted into REFInd, may have to hit 'ESC' to refresh, you should get a USB icon, maybe with Kali logo, maybe not. Pick it.
    10> Grub Menu should come up with "Kali Live" Select it, should go all the way to Desktop
    11> Click on "Install Kali", when you get to the partition, select Manual Install, select your empty partition and select it to Auto Partition for one directory
    12> Later on in the install process, Grub will error out, just keep going til it say install complete
    13> Don't reboot yet, you still have to copy stuff over.
    14> take your Ubuntu cd and copy /boot and /efi from Ubuntu to the root file system, but you have to mount your Kali partition as RW
    15> Then, once you've copied files over, go to the Kali installed filesystem and edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and do this
    Code:
    menuentry "Kali 2.0" {
       set gfxpayload=keep
       linux   /vmlinuz boot=live quiet splash ---
       initrd   /initrd.img
    }
    16> Save and reboot.. You should have a working Win10 and Kali 2.0 system in UEFI only with GPT. Any questions, ask me.. any clarifications, ask me.. changes to this process is very welcomed. If' I've done something stupid or anything that can be condensed, lemme know. Thank you again Nekromantik, you were a big help.

drarkanex,
    I've been pulling late nights all week trying to figure this business out. I get so far but can still only end up with one OS working perfectly and the other one, nada. This post here is hopefully the answer to my problems but I was wondering if you could give a more exact cmd line prompt for steps 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, and 15. I know it's a lot to ask and this thread is from over a month ago, but it would be so very appreciated. That is if your dual boot is still working! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers

Thank you!

I just re-installed Windows. Now it appears in Grub.

I just re-installed Windows. Now it appears in Grub.
    I didnt have the option of reinstalling. Im data strapped and live out in rural america where broadband is considered 128k dsl.... lol thank you again

The easiest way is to install from CD
    USB didnt worked for me ether, so i just burned the ISO on a DVD-R 4.7 GB and rebooted my laptop, press ESC or F1 or your key to show the Boot-Menu (not the bios-setup) and select my DVD drive. you will have the choice to select in the boot menu between UEFI dvd drive or ATA dvd drive, you need to click ATA dvd drive to get it running.
    i hope i could help, have fun

~vl~

Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    The easiest way is to install from CD
    USB didnt worked for me ether, so i just burned the ISO on a DVD-R 4.7 GB and rebooted my laptop, press ESC or F1 or your key to show the Boot-Menu (not the bios-setup) and select my DVD drive. you will have the choice to select in the boot menu between UEFI dvd drive or ATA dvd drive, you need to click ATA dvd drive to get it running.
    i hope i could help, have fun

~vl~
    I tried that too.. for me it wouldnt work as it would have done something to windows boot manager.. the amazing thing about uefi and gpt partition is that you can craft your own bootloader and skip all the automated things that have the possibility of borking things up..