Thread: USB 3.0 Won't Boot Kali Linux

USB 3.0 Won't Boot Kali Linux

I have previously used the same USB to install other distros. However, Now there is USB option in the BIOS or Boot Menu. What is going on here? I'm attempting the new Kali 2.0
    Code:
    dd if=/path/to/kali.ISO of=/dev/sdc bs=512k && sync
    There were no errors that "dd" gave me - everything looked right.
    Am I missing something crucial?

I am using a PNY 256GB USB 3.0
    And my laptop is a Lenovo u350 Touch

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!BIOS.jpgBIOS-02.jpg
    Last edited by RFKiller; 2015-09-05 at 01:19.

I had the same issue where the system would not recognise the speed of the usb 3 after two days i gave up and installed live usb on a usb 2 with no issues

thanks for this information.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Max555 View Post
    I had the same issue where the system would not recognise the speed of the usb 3 after two days i gave up and installed live usb on a usb 2 with no issues
    This seems to be my exact same issue as well. As far as I can tell, only USB 3.0 will not boot - and I know I'm writing to the USB at a slow enough speed that the image is not being corrupted upon transfer, as I use "dd" in the following way:
    Code:
    [kali:~]# dd if=kali-light.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=512k && sync
    But after so many frustrating failed attempts using USB 3.0 (I even resorted to GParted and UNetbootin) I finally pulled out my old USB 2.0 stick and threw Kali on it. Lo and behold - it suddenly booted just fine. How frustrating.

Especially because I really wanted to use my USB 3.0 to install Kali on instead of just having it as live image on my USB stick. With the speed of USB 3.0 it's nearly as fast as having it installed directly on the HDD, and I wanted to have entire USB encrypted with Kali on it with persistence. And my USB 3.0 stick is 256GB while my USB 2.0 stick is only 16GB - *HUGE* difference!

Anybody had found a solution to this? Because I have the same problem. I mean, I wasn't able to boot Kali from my USB 3.0 DataTraceler G4 16Gb. it's not a BIOS problem because I boot Ubuntu from this USB using the 3.0 port. I used universal USB Installer (with both, Kali and Ubuntu) and a friend was able to boot Kali using universal, but in a 2.0 USB.

had similar issues, while using dd and unetbootin method to create flashdrives. windows tools like win32image or lili worked better and live persistent encrypted 2.0 boots(dualboots with hirens in my case) from usb3.0 with no problem.

try to play with the BIOS >> secure boot ? legasy or uefi ? usb first to boot ? did your try the same usb stick on other pc ? did you try another usb stick ? are you sure that the usb is healthy ? did you try making the drive from linux ? maybe your pc does Not like this usb stick ? lol

lol that's what's im thinking now .. just trying to help you know ..

I have a yoga 2 pro that is quite finicky with the USB 3.0. During boot it would loop after detecting the touchscreen. It seems that after it detects the USB 3.0 device it unmounts it. I could get it to boot if I yanked the little sucker out and shoved it back in while swearing up a storm it would then boot normally. Also, if I swap it over to the USB 2.0 port it worked flawlessly. This was with a sandisk 32G USB3 flash drive. in the end i ended up just using the USB2 port to do a bare-metal install with full-disk encryption.