Thread: Kali USB install on lenovo s21e-20 no WIFI

Kali USB install on lenovo s21e-20 no WIFI

Hello

I just got my self a new laptop lenovo s21e-20 and installed Kali 1.1 from USB and removed windows. When doing the install it prompted me No Ethernet card was detected.
    This laptop does not have a Ethernet port so I pressed no ethernet card and continued.
    I was then prompted No network interfaces were found. I continued as going back wasn't going to help
    When installed no network was showing with a little red x in the corner

ifconfig shows only:
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU65536 Metrick:1
    RX packers:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frames:0
    TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisisons:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:720 (720.0 B) TX bytesL720 (720.0 B)

lspci shows the following
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0e)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0e)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0e)
    00:17.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView MIPI-HSI Controller (rev 0e)
    00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0e)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0e)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
    02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

I have no clue how to get the wifi working. I think I have voided my warranty so I need a fix xD
    I have tried rfkill but nothing shows under rfkill list
    Also would a dongle or USB ethernet adapter work just encase I can solve this?

I know Kali 2.0 is out but don't even get me started on the problems I had trying to even install it
    lspic -vv is in attachment as being to large
    lscpi -vv list.txt

in this situation I always advice one thing first to do. You can find it here on forum in lot of post. Just need to read it.
    Go to BIOS and set BIOS to Default BIOS setting, and then boot to Kali.
    it should fix those error. Why is that happened? ask little green man
    If it is not helpful then you have to investigate is your driver for wifi card is loading
    and is network service is started
    Or check if you have on computer "hardware switch" for wi-fi is that enabled.

The good news is, you do not void your warranty on your laptop because you installed Linux. Now, on to your issue. Have you downloaded Kali v2.0 yet? I would try that because there are more driver support. When I installed Kali 1.0.8 on my Lenovo G50-45, wifi didn't show up but Ethernet did. I ran apt-get update and upgrade on it and it downloaded a new kernel, rebooted and everything showed up. I'm going to look at your post a bit more and see if I can help with this.

Ok, this is a weird CPU. Try the 32 bit version of Kali...

Also, reference this post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs...ok_with_weird/

drarkanex, hello there I just some how happened to come across this post and wouldn't you know YOU sir have the same exact laptop as me and basically your telling me that the same wifi issues im having you had too... The problem is that i have already ran apt-get update and upgrade but that didn't seem to change anything for me. Im really in need of getting this resolved I can't stand to look at this LAN cable ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by sciomancy View Post
    I have no clue how to get the wifi working. I think I have voided my warranty so I need a fix xD

I know Kali 2.0 is out but don't even get me started on the problems I had trying to even install it
    Just this month I put together a properly working Kali 2.0 installation on the Ideapad s21e-20. All that is left is to get the trackpad working, but the internal Wifi works fine.

See here for my full build procedure.