Thread: Kali Installer does not my external hard drive

Kali Installer does not my external hard drive

Hi, when I run the live usb installation of kali, it doesn't detect my Seagate usb external hard drive when I reach the detecting disk part of the installation. My BIOS supports legacy usb and I have the sata mode set to AHCI. The BIOS also detects the Seagate drive as I see it when I'm on the boot menu. Then I tried my external SSD and the installation detects it. So for some reason the kali installation just isn't recognizing the Seagate external hard drive. The Seagate drive is new, just got it yesterday. Here's a link of the product: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

It doesn't say it's an SSD or flash, so I am assuming spinning disk. You cannot install Kali onto an external drive using the Live USB installation. If you can install it on a thumb drive, once you boot into it there is an option to install. Select that option and you should be able to install it on your external for future use.

download and try with another Kali img. I suggest you to use Kali Linux Light img.
    also try with other live linux distro to examine is they recognize your external ssd

I don't really understand what you're saying Chewie, I am booting from the live usb drive and pressing the install option, that's what I've been doing but it doesn't detect my external hard drive. Isn't installing kali on an external usb hard drive the same as installing it on an internal one?

I booted into kali 2.0, couldn't find the installer

Edit: Found out installing kali to an external hard drive is a bit different, made a persistent usb instead, ty for help
    Last edited by reifi; 2015-08-18 at 06:55.