Thread: Need help installing kali 2.0 on an asus chromebook flip.

Need help installing kali 2.0 on an asus chromebook flip.

so I downloaded the proper image, and I have searched and searched the web but cant find anything about installing kali 2.0 on the asus flip. I see it is possible because they have it posted on the website. Also just curious I mean since the guys at kali created an image for it of course the wifi nic is compatible and all that stuff right?

I have a couple of questions: What is the CPU in this and how much RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by drarkanex View Post
    I found this:
    Built with 10-finger touchscreen, ASUS Chromebook C100 can be flipped over from 0 to 360 degree, using it as a Chromebook, or a tablet.
    Quad-Core 1.8GHz processor with 2GB RAM, Wireless 802.11 A/C
    Built with aluminum chassis, 10.1" HD IPS Display 1280 x 800. HD Webcam
    Run android apps on C100PA chromebook with a 360° rotating touchscreen amazing experience
    Comfortable 97% full-size keyboard, powerful 80dB stereo dual speakers
    2xUSB 2.0, 1xMicro HDMI, MicroSD Card Reader & Bluetooth 4.1
    (RAM is one version whit 2 GB and another whit 4 GB)

Quote Originally Posted by drarkanex View Post
    Mine is arriving tonight as well and I can't wait to play with it. Here are the specs:

Rockchip 3288-C SoC
    1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A17 Quad-Core
    4GB of Onboard LPDDR3 RAM
    16GB eMMC Storage
    Integrated ARM Mali-T764 Graphics
    10.1" Multi-Touch Display
    1280 x 800 Native Resolution
    802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
    360° Hinge
    Chrome OS

Any Kali 2.0 install guides would be appreciated. Also not sure if wiping the ChromeOS and install Kali directly on the chromebook would have all drivers, etc.?

Its a Rockchip CPU 1.8ghz cpu, 4 gb ram. They have the image file at this website
    https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/

I would like to be able to just wipe the chromebook image and install kali. I know if i ever wanted to go back I can recreate the chromebook image at google recovery.

Did you download the armel or armhf image?

I followed the instructions here https://citruspi.io/kali-on-chromebook/ and was able to boot the Chromebook Flip image. It is kinda disappointing that it's Xfce and not Gnome. I guess we would need to build a custom image for that. On the bright side, everything seems to be working as far as touchscreen, sound, wi-fi, etc.

This information would be nice to know. I have a Samsung Chromebook 550 and its running unity, a chrome extension that allows me to run Kali on a virtual tab

I tweeted the guys at kali, because from the pictures they have Kali 2.0 running Gnome 3 on an asus chromebook flip from the pictures that they show. So I mean it defiantly is possible to have gnome on it. Just curious on how. I hope they post a reply soon. Would it just be better for now to run kali with cruton or unity?

Quote Originally Posted by bgdude View Post
    Mine is arriving tonight as well and I can't wait to play with it. Here are the specs:

Rockchip 3288-C SoC
    1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A17 Quad-Core
    4GB of Onboard LPDDR3 RAM
    16GB eMMC Storage
    Integrated ARM Mali-T764 Graphics
    10.1" Multi-Touch Display
    1280 x 800 Native Resolution
    802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
    360° Hinge
    Chrome OS

Any Kali 2.0 install guides would be appreciated. Also not sure if wiping the ChromeOS and install Kali directly on the chromebook would have all drivers, etc.?
    Hey man did you get your flip? How is it, did you install kali? I get mine friday. Im still waiting for a reply from the guys at kali.

I tried all the images in the download section, including armel and armhf, but neither boots on the Chromebook. The only one that works is this one ASUS Chromebook Flip. I used Win32 Disk Imager to put in on a SD card, then it boots fine with CTRL+U after you have enabled developer mode on the Flip. The issue is that it comes with Xfce and the image is set to only 8Gb. As soon as you try to resize to something larger, it stops booting. If you try to download Gnome desktop, it will run out of space.

I also looked into the ARM custom build scripts and read trough the code, but it seems that all ARM images come with Xfce. I think I'll try to build one with Gnome, but need to find out which packages need to be included in the image first. That's where I am at after 2 days of trying

How about running it on a tab ? there is a extension called unity and they have a Kali version. Not sure if its the 2.0 though . It is called crouton.

Quote Originally Posted by bgdude View Post
    I followed the instructions here https://citruspi.io/kali-on-chromebook/ and was able to boot the Chromebook Flip image. It is kinda disappointing that it's Xfce and not Gnome. I guess we would need to build a custom image for that. On the bright side, everything seems to be working as far as touchscreen, sound, wi-fi, etc.
    I have the same chromebook. But when I get to the first sudo command it asks for a password. I've tried everyone I can think of... No dice. Do you happen to know which one should work?

I'd really like to run kali off of the thumb drive and keep chrome on the internal flash drive. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jwschull; 2015-09-02 at 15:28.

Ok, so I found a way to get into root via ssh. But the Images seem to have issues. I'm using the procedures outlined in https://citruspi.io/kali-on-chromebook/.
    The first step looks OK, I can see the 14.9 Gb usb drive as sda. But the "sudo cgpt repair /dev/sda" yields two warnings : "WARNING: Primary GPT header is invalid
    WARNING: Secondary GPT header is invalid" Any ideas?
    I tried the original 2.0 image 9/1/2015 @ 2.418G and the 9/3/2015 @ 2.097G. Both fail with the same issue. I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16G USB Flash Drive.

Nevermind... I got it. stupid mistake on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by jwschull View Post
    "WARNING: Primary GPT header is invalid
    WARNING: Secondary GPT header is invalid" Any ideas?
    I tried the original 2.0 image 9/1/2015 @ 2.418G and the 9/3/2015 @ 2.097G. Both fail with the same issue. I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16G USB Flash Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jwschull View Post
    Nevermind... I got it. stupid mistake on my part.
    Sorry for reviving such an old thread.
    How did you get around this? I've reformatted the USB a bunch of times now with different approaches and different applications.

Thank you in advance.
    I'm trying to get a bootable-USB to run on my Lenovo n20 (intel celeron). Having Kali light x86 as iso.

Quote Originally Posted by mag37 View Post
    Sorry for reviving such an old thread.
    How did you get around this? I've reformatted the USB a bunch of times now with different approaches and different applications.

Thank you in advance.
    I'm trying to get a bootable-USB to run on my Lenovo n20 (intel celeron). Having Kali light x86 as iso.
    My mistake was rather simple. I didn't unpack the xz file to get the img file. Of course it won't boot a zipped file. duhh..