Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to make a persistent usb Kali2.0 flash drive

To cgreen69

You could try downloading the iso you require again and try the install. As MTeams noted we have never tried this with an amd install. Possibly someone who has done an amd install may help you or give us more info and we will put our RV unit on it and see what they come up with. Maybe you might try the 32 or 64 bit version instead of amd.

Musket Teams

Changes to my Kali Linux operating system settings are gone after reboot

Hi.

I managed to create a live boot of Kali Linux with a storage partition, meaning 1 partition of 5GB for Kali Linux O/S, and 3GB to store my reports and other files. I had used a Universal USM Installer(UUI), followed by Partition tool to accomplish it. The persistence.conf file is on my 3GB partition.

When I reboot and choose Kali with USB Persistence, the files in my 3GB partition containing reports are still there
    However, changes to my Kali Linux settings are gone. For example, Tor browser installed on desktop missing, sound missing and I have to go over "pulseaudio -D" commands again, install tor again, files saved on desktop missing etc...

It seems changes to my Kali system are only stored in RAM. Is this the right behavior? How can I make changes to my Kali system persistent as well?

Kindly advise

To walnet2388

MTeams knows noting about the USM Installer or partition tool or how the persistence.conf file was produced.

We are unsure then if you followed the steps in this tutorial. Remember a second linux operating system must act on the usb you are installing persistence to.

Therefore was ask you to prove to yourself that the persistent feature is actually functioning. Simply boot into persistence on your flash drive. Open leafpad, write and save a file. Check to see the file is in root then shut down and reboot into persistence and check to see if the file is still there. Step by step test for working persistence is found in the tutorial

If the file is there then your persistence feature should work. All files we install on a persistent usb install thru apt-get install work for us AND all apt-get updates work. All our setting thru kali also stay in place after reboot.

If your persistence feature is working all we can say is try installing again using the steps in this tutorial or tutorials thru kali. Furthermore others in this forum may assist you.

Musket Teams

Thank you I got the persistence working on the Kali Linux OS.

Greetings,

Kindly note that I've just found this thread, & I would like to share my experience:

Tried to make a live Kali on a 230G Transcend External Hard Disc and failed..

Repeated the exact steps I found on the www:

1- Burned an image of Kali 2.0 downloaded from the official website.
    2- Made a "presistent" using MiniTool (Made it about 50G).
    3- Started Kali > Terminal > Then entered all the commands exactly..
    4- Rebooted with a test file.. Nothing happened & the "Persistent" icon is still on desktop

P.S: I'm in Syria, electricity is only 1 hour every 5 hours, so I can't experiment frenquently..

I need help, I can give Skype for further support and much details from my side, as I will repeat the operation with your instructions one electricity is on.

Pardon me for bad English!

All the Best,

To Kamov1987

1. MTeams has no experience with using these procedures on a 230 gig usb external Hard Disk.

2. MTeams has never used Minitool

Therefore:

Suggest you purchase a 8 gig usb flash drive

Use the tools MTeams suggests. You can also follow the procedures suggested by the kali linux team.

As far as electricity we have experience here. Suggest a few solar panels a few batteries and a cheap 12 volt car battery inverter. We use these tools to include cheap grid tie inverters and 12 volt led light bulbs(no internal retifier the light bulb is wired directly into to car battery or telephone line.

MTeams

After writing the ISO on the usb drive(16GB memory) with win32DiskImager, Gparted shows three partitions on the drive: the first of 2.8GB (where I assume the ISO has been written), a second partition of 105MB labeled as FAT, and a third one of about 12GB of free unallocated space....My doubt: Is normal to have the FAT partition???....I've done this process several times on this drive with these same tools in the past, but I don't remember I've ever had a FAT partition after the ISO writing process....anything's wrong?

Please see my biography how you can contact me
    Quote Originally Posted by itanon View Post
    After writing the ISO on the usb drive(16GB memory) with win32DiskImager, Gparted shows three partitions on the drive: the first of 2.8GB (where I assume the ISO has been written), a second partition of 105MB labeled as FAT, and a third one of about 12GB of free unallocated space....My doubt: Is normal to have the FAT partition???....I've done this process several times on this drive with these same tools in the past, but I don't remember I've ever had a FAT partition after the ISO writing process....anything's wrong?
    It's because DD method is being used to make the image bootable. I've noticed the same problem when i used rufus to make kali week 15 image bootable. I was able to make the earlier kali weekly image (week<=15) bootable using the ISO method but now rufus is not allowing me to make week 15 image bootable using ISO method. It is actually causing me a lot of problems. I'm not liking those 3 unecessary partitions. I've to combine the partitions later. There would be no problem if you somehow able to make it bootable using ISO method. Hope they fix this issue in week 16 image.