Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a persistent usb Kali2.0 flash drive

To Jabroni

When Win32diskimager makes the live kali-linux usb the process is automatic.

You have stated the live install doesnot work.

Possibly your kali-linux iso file is corrupted try downloading again.

What is the size of your usb flash drive? You probably should use at least a 8 gig flash drive if you want to install the persistent feature

Is your BIOS setup to read from the flash drive at the start of the boot process?

MTeams

Sorry, possibly I have misspoke. After using win32diskmanager it boots fine into a live environment or into live encrypted persistence.

The problem seems to be when I change the size of the partitions to make room for the persistence partition.

After I force in mount the usb change partition sizes and create the persistence partition, does the USB need to be mounted again?

It's a 128gb USB 3.0 drive.

Not sure that this works with such drives. Looks like you are using an external hard drive not a usb flash drive. Get a 8, 16 or 32 gig usb flash drive and give it a try.

That being said run up gparted and find the external hard drive. Since it is 128 gig you should see an unallocated portion about 124 gig.Remember you must have another linux operating system to work on your drive. You cannot use the operating system installed on the flash drive you are adding the persistence feature to. We offer a tutorial in these forums on how a windows only user can install persistence to a flash drive. You need to make two live flash drives and use one live flash drive to work on and add the persistence feature to the other flash drive.

See
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...istence+window

With the 128gb USB flash drive it does not show any unallocated portion after using win32diskmanager.

You might work off some of the links in this thread and see where it goes.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ive-(sata-usb)

MTeams

Is it only the 'persistent' partition that is persistent. I have it working to this point (if I create a new file/folder in the persistent partition, these files are still available after reboot)

However, if I install something or run an update on Kali, this is not persistent.

Is there a way to install it so it completely boots off the USB and is 100% persistent (system and all)?

Thanks

Hello Musket teams & fellow friends,

Well, I have been trying to make usb persistence (kali) nearly 100 times for the past 3-4 days and I failed every time. I searched whole of the net, including all the installation guides, forums and read some books on this, nothing helped yet. Actually, I was trying with the latest kali ISO file available at kali.org (kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso). I am using Lenovo Ideapad (32 bit system with windows 7). I even failed to install it in oracle virtualbox ( I have backtrack v5r3, windows 7 installed on the virtualbox). In fact during end of 2015, I was able to successfully install my earlier version of kali (I do not remember the version number) in virtualbox and made usb persistent many times. However, my computer broke a few months ago and I lost the earlier version (though I have it installed in one of my 4GB usb - persistent one). So, I wished to make it clear that I know how to install (kali & backtrack) in persistent usb and oracle virtualbox. So, when it failed this time, the first thing I checked was the checksum of my iso and it was found to be perfect download. The hash no. matched exactly. So, I ruled out the possibility of corrupt download.

I am outlining below the brief steps and tell you what are the problems that I am facing (I'll omit the virtualbox issue for the time being).

step 1:
    Installing kali on usb was ok. (checked it by rebooting from usb it worked fine)

step 2:
    The partition was done by Gparted (I used 16 GB pendrive) and followed the instructions - primary, ext4, persistence (I tried using ext3 too)
    Rebooted from usb, found OK. Partition was there. (I tried without rebooting here, too)

Used the commands: mkdir -v -p /mnt/my_usb
    : mount -v /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb (I intentionally used the verbose commands to see if the things are going right, and my partition is on sdb3)
    : echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf ( I checked it with changing live-persistence.conf and tweaking some file at the .cfg file; got that guidance from another forum)
    finally un-mounting by: umount /dev/sdb3

So far so good. I created a test folder in the home directory (desktop) to see if persistence remains after reboot. Alas!! after reboot I never see the test folder, and thus NO persistence. I unsuccessfully repeated those steps of installing kali usb persistent so many times in the past 3-4 days that I almost remember every step and the commands. The good thing is that I was able to do it with my earlier version of kali (I still have a persistent USB of that version) but I am not able to install the current version (kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso). So, I conclude that there might be some error with the current ISO or we might have to change(or add) some steps which I don't know yet. I strongly suspect the current iso, as I could not install it on the virtualbox as well.

Final Note: With USB persistent, I noticed that the persistence.conf file exists in the /root/media/persistence folder and any file/ folder we add in /media folder remains across reboot. There two folders in /media (as far as I remember, as I writing this thread from windows not from kali, so can't cross-check now, namely kali live and persistence) But, if we add file/folder in /home or other directory it does not remain across reboot. So, it seems to me that only the /root/media folder becomes persistent, and it does not help our goal of making a persistent usb as in case of persistent - everything should be saved, so that we can update tools, save settings etc.

You valuable suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

To b33j4r

Try using these commands:

Notice you use my_usb

Try usb

mkdir -p /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/usb
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/usb

Make sure sdb3 is the designation. See the gparted screen.

Make sure when you boot and get the screen that you scroll down and select persistent usb. Do not boot into live during the two(2) boots needed to test the persistence feature.

If this doesnot work let us know here and MTeams will run some tests BUT we used a persistent install of kali 2016R.1 all day today.

MTeams

First time using a forum so bare with me. I have made a bootable usb of kali linux with a persistence partition. I can do the update and upgrade. When I get dust-upgrade and try and boot, it hangs at the Ipv6 check for netdev_up and won't boot. Please help.20160622_190418.jpg

Except for some minor changes in the gparted menu positions, the instructions found here were rechecked and found to function fine for:

kali-linux-2016.2

MTeams