Thread: How to make a persistent usb Kali2.0 flash drive

How to make a persistent usb Kali2.0 flash drive

MTeams is seeing alot of comments that old methods of making a persistent USB with kali2.0 do not work. This is simply not the case. Here is a method tested in MTeams labs

Install kali-linux 2.0 onto the usb flash drive using XP and Win32DiskImager.exe(Win32). Download the latest Win32 if you wish, however older versions might work.

Make sure Win32DiskImager is pointed at your usb flash drive.

When you browse to the location of your Kali-linux 2.0.iso, change the "Files of Type" from "img" to *.* - select the down arrow across from "Files of Type" and you will get this selection in a drop-down menu. Once selected the kali-linux.iso file will appear. Select it and select "write" then sit back and wait while the diskimager does it's work. When finished, you now have a live version of Kali-linux2.0. Boot the computer from the kali-linux 2.0 usb flash drive and test to see if it is working properly then shut it down.

Note here that kali-linux2.0 does not work on all computers. We have two(2) laptops that take only 1.10a. When we load kali2.0 the install hangs and it will not accept functioning usb flash drive installs of kali-linux 2.0 either.

If your live usb install of kali-linux2.0 functions, enable persistence so your work is saved between reboots.

Run up a kali or Backtrack operating system with gparted installed. You cannot use the live usb with kali-linux 2.0 on it, as it will be locked during these operations, therefore a separate linux operating system must act on the usb flash drive. You can use a second usb flash drive to run the OS. However you might have to change the sdb3 to sdc3 in the commands below. Gparted can give
    you these designations. You will have to experiment with this approach.

Type gparted in a terminal window:

When gparted runs it will probably be pointed at the harddrives which are labeled sda. In the upper right-hand corner of the gparted window you will see a small greyish rectangular block with the word /dev/??? then a size in GiB and two(2) up-down arrows. Click on these arrows until you see the usb flashdrive.

You should now see two(2) long rectangular blocks.

In this example we see:

/dev/sdb1 unallocated
    3.09 GiB 4.28 GiB

Right-click within the right-hand large unallocated rectangular block. You need to format and label this block. When you right click within the block a menu will appear.

Select New

In the "Create new Partition" drop down menu

Select

Create as: Primary Partition
    File system: ext4
    Label: persistence

Enter the word persistence carefully. Do not misspell or alter caps or the persistence feature may not work.

When completed select:

Add

Go to upper left-hand corner of the main gparted menu

Click Edit
    Select Apply All Operations
    Select Apply

Sit back and wait till the operations are all completed

When finished gparted showed the following in the two(2)

large rectangular windows. Size of the right window will vary.

/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb3
    3.09 GiB 4.28 GiB

Open a new terminal window.

Type

mkdir -p /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/usb
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/usb

Now test the persistence feature between reboots.

Shutdown and reboot using the kali2.0 usb you just worked on.

When the menu appears:

!!!Select Live USB Persistence ONLY ( with up down arrows)!!!

Warning if you select Live (686-pae) you will not load any persistent data and the test for persistence will fail.

Open leafpad and save a text file in root.

Type ls in a terminal window and make sure the file is present.

Reboot into the kali2.0 usb again.

When the menu appears:

!!!Select Live USB Persistence ONLY ( with up down arrows)!!!

Warning if you select Live (686-pae) you will not load any persistent data and the test for persistence will fail.

If the text file is still there then the persistent feature is functioning. Do not try and upgrade your persistent usb but you can update the existing files. If persistence is not operating, you probably misspelled the word "persistence" or you used the wrong ??sda/sdb/sdc?? entries in the terminal window commands given above.

We did not test the luks encryption therefore no guidance is provided.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-08-21 at 08:02.

Hi there,

Does this
    Run up a kali or Backtrack operating system with gparted installed. You cannot use the live usb with kali-linux 2.0 on it, as it will be locked during these operations, therefore a separate linux operating system must act on the usb flash drive. You can use a second usb flash drive to run the OS. However you might have to change the sdb3 to sdc3 in the commands below.
    mean I cannot use gparted to create the new partition labelled persisitence in the Kali Linux OS running on the exact same USB drive?

Previously,I used dd command on my Ubuntu OS to copy the kali2.0-ISO to my USB drive.And then I used the parted command to create the new partition labelled work on the USB drive.I did not use the luks encryption.And I write a file named persistence.conf with "/ union" in the partition 'work'.After all these are done on my Ubuntu,I reboot to boot from USB drive,successfully boot to kali grub menu,and select Live (686-pae) or Live USB Persistence.In both modes,I can successfully boot to the gnome environment and everything works normally.But even though I select the Live USB Persistence mode,updates or data vanish between reboots.I notice that the 'work' partition contains only one file,i.e. persistence.conf,and that even though I select the Live USB Persistence mode there exists two icons on the desktop,which are kali live and work.I even tried this:highlight the Live USB Persistence option and press TAB and then type 'persistencelabel=work'.This works the same as I simply press Enter on the options 'Live (686-pae)' or 'Live USB Persistence'.

Later,I deleted all the partitions and data on my USB drive,formated it again,and create a new partition with gparted on my Ubuntu.Then I used dd command to copy the ISO to USB drive.This time,I did not create the new partition on the USB in my Ubuntu.I reboot to boot from USB drive,select the Live (686-pae) mode,and boot to the gnome environment.I use the gparted command to create the persistence partition and do the following things as mentioned above.Then I reboot and select Live USB Persistence.This time the booting process just do not work out.I boot into the tty1.And system prompts me to login.After I enter username(root) and default password.Some strange information I cannot seize appears on screen.And then there only exists an underscore at the left top corner of the screen.I wait for a long time and nothing changes,which force me to press the POWER button to restart the computer.

I boot from the USB drive and select Live (686-pae),which works well.I check the contents in the persistence partition and find out there are many files other than 'persistence.conf',including directories named etc,home,lib,root,usr and so on.

Please help me sort things out.

MTeams did a test persistent usb install of:

kali-linux-2016.1-i386

using the procedures outlined in this thread.

The complete process was flawless.

Win32DiskImager loaded the program onto the flashdrive faster then all previous kali distros. Adding the persistence feature worked fine. The whole process took less then 30 minutes.

One bit of caution:

The sdb3 device designation in this thread may be sdc3. You can get that thru gparted after the formating step.

MTeams

Hello there
    My method (Tested 04.02.2016 win8.1 Kali 2.0)
    1.Rufus > kali 2.0 > usb (internet required)
    2.MiniTool Partition Wizard > usb > resize >two partition and new unallocated partition create ext4 primary label persistence > apply all
    3.Reboot computer and boot screen click down key select ''Live USB Persistence'' enter
    4. fdisk -l see sda2 ,sdb2 or sdc2 and change code your computer no change other code

mkdir -p /mnt/KALI
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/KALI
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/KALI/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/KALI

6.Reboot and start Live USB Persistence

Video:
    https://mega.nz/#!RYxk3JiB!IjPFG3NNq...qlV2x45BUyL9DU

Extra:

Kali 2.0 live usb persistence medya ımage backup and restore needs (tested ok)

USB Image Tool
    http://www.alexpage.de/

My english badd sorry!
    Last edited by xfaster; 2016-02-04 at 11:40.

Hello there,

I finally got persistence to work but looks like I am unable to boot up persistence on another laptop/computer using the same usb.

To hanilitto

Mteams have computers that will not allow a USB live or persistent to run nor can we do a Hard Drive install of kali 2,0 or kali 2016,1R. The computer will allow kali 1.10a to function.

These computers load the selection menu between live or persistent but hang during the setup.

If the computer is not accessing the usb during start(i.e. no selection menu seen) suggest you check your BIOS boot order during start so the computer accesses the usb before the Hard Drive.

MTeams

Good day!

I just completed your tutorial and ran into a problem. When I go to boot up the Kali 2.0 USB that I performed the above instructions into, it goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking.

I loaded up another Kali 2.0 live USB and the mount point shows /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda1 ... where the live usb that I booted off of has a mount point of /media/root/UUI.

This is just me making general observations, I may be out to lunch. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

To Jabroni:

MTeams has never seen this problem. Suggest you break the process into steps. First make a live bootable (ie no persistence) install and boot that and see if it will run. If the live version runs then you can install the persistence feature. If the live runs but the persistence does not run then the problem is in the steps used to install the persistence.

MTeams

Ok I have started fresh, the first thing I notice is that the when I enter gparted from a second live USB, the entire USB is used for the file system, there is no unallocated space. Last time, I unmounted, reduced the file size, then completed the remaining instructions.

I am just trying now to see if it will work.

Ok, so all I did was force unmount the USB and it's partitions. Reduced the size of the main partition, took the unallocated space and created the persistence partition.

Before I did anything else I rebooted and tried to boot right into the USB and the blinking cursor happened again. Any thoughts?

To Jabroni

When Win32diskimager makes the live kali-linux usb the process is automatic.

You have stated the live install doesnot work.

Possibly your kali-linux iso file is corrupted try downloading again.

What is the size of your usb flash drive? You probably should use at least a 8 gig flash drive if you want to install the persistent feature

Is your BIOS setup to read from the flash drive at the start of the boot process?

MTeams

Sorry, possibly I have misspoke. After using win32diskmanager it boots fine into a live environment or into live encrypted persistence.

The problem seems to be when I change the size of the partitions to make room for the persistence partition.

After I force in mount the usb change partition sizes and create the persistence partition, does the USB need to be mounted again?

It's a 128gb USB 3.0 drive.

Not sure that this works with such drives. Looks like you are using an external hard drive not a usb flash drive. Get a 8, 16 or 32 gig usb flash drive and give it a try.

That being said run up gparted and find the external hard drive. Since it is 128 gig you should see an unallocated portion about 124 gig.Remember you must have another linux operating system to work on your drive. You cannot use the operating system installed on the flash drive you are adding the persistence feature to. We offer a tutorial in these forums on how a windows only user can install persistence to a flash drive. You need to make two live flash drives and use one live flash drive to work on and add the persistence feature to the other flash drive.

See
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...istence+window

With the 128gb USB flash drive it does not show any unallocated portion after using win32diskmanager.

You might work off some of the links in this thread and see where it goes.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ive-(sata-usb)

MTeams

Is it only the 'persistent' partition that is persistent. I have it working to this point (if I create a new file/folder in the persistent partition, these files are still available after reboot)

However, if I install something or run an update on Kali, this is not persistent.

Is there a way to install it so it completely boots off the USB and is 100% persistent (system and all)?

Thanks

Hello Musket teams & fellow friends,

Well, I have been trying to make usb persistence (kali) nearly 100 times for the past 3-4 days and I failed every time. I searched whole of the net, including all the installation guides, forums and read some books on this, nothing helped yet. Actually, I was trying with the latest kali ISO file available at kali.org (kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso). I am using Lenovo Ideapad (32 bit system with windows 7). I even failed to install it in oracle virtualbox ( I have backtrack v5r3, windows 7 installed on the virtualbox). In fact during end of 2015, I was able to successfully install my earlier version of kali (I do not remember the version number) in virtualbox and made usb persistent many times. However, my computer broke a few months ago and I lost the earlier version (though I have it installed in one of my 4GB usb - persistent one). So, I wished to make it clear that I know how to install (kali & backtrack) in persistent usb and oracle virtualbox. So, when it failed this time, the first thing I checked was the checksum of my iso and it was found to be perfect download. The hash no. matched exactly. So, I ruled out the possibility of corrupt download.

I am outlining below the brief steps and tell you what are the problems that I am facing (I'll omit the virtualbox issue for the time being).

step 1:
    Installing kali on usb was ok. (checked it by rebooting from usb it worked fine)

step 2:
    The partition was done by Gparted (I used 16 GB pendrive) and followed the instructions - primary, ext4, persistence (I tried using ext3 too)
    Rebooted from usb, found OK. Partition was there. (I tried without rebooting here, too)

Used the commands: mkdir -v -p /mnt/my_usb
    : mount -v /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb (I intentionally used the verbose commands to see if the things are going right, and my partition is on sdb3)
    : echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf ( I checked it with changing live-persistence.conf and tweaking some file at the .cfg file; got that guidance from another forum)
    finally un-mounting by: umount /dev/sdb3

So far so good. I created a test folder in the home directory (desktop) to see if persistence remains after reboot. Alas!! after reboot I never see the test folder, and thus NO persistence. I unsuccessfully repeated those steps of installing kali usb persistent so many times in the past 3-4 days that I almost remember every step and the commands. The good thing is that I was able to do it with my earlier version of kali (I still have a persistent USB of that version) but I am not able to install the current version (kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso). So, I conclude that there might be some error with the current ISO or we might have to change(or add) some steps which I don't know yet. I strongly suspect the current iso, as I could not install it on the virtualbox as well.

Final Note: With USB persistent, I noticed that the persistence.conf file exists in the /root/media/persistence folder and any file/ folder we add in /media folder remains across reboot. There two folders in /media (as far as I remember, as I writing this thread from windows not from kali, so can't cross-check now, namely kali live and persistence) But, if we add file/folder in /home or other directory it does not remain across reboot. So, it seems to me that only the /root/media folder becomes persistent, and it does not help our goal of making a persistent usb as in case of persistent - everything should be saved, so that we can update tools, save settings etc.

You valuable suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

To b33j4r

Try using these commands:

Notice you use my_usb

Try usb

mkdir -p /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/usb
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/usb

Make sure sdb3 is the designation. See the gparted screen.

Make sure when you boot and get the screen that you scroll down and select persistent usb. Do not boot into live during the two(2) boots needed to test the persistence feature.

If this doesnot work let us know here and MTeams will run some tests BUT we used a persistent install of kali 2016R.1 all day today.

MTeams

First time using a forum so bare with me. I have made a bootable usb of kali linux with a persistence partition. I can do the update and upgrade. When I get dust-upgrade and try and boot, it hangs at the Ipv6 check for netdev_up and won't boot. Please help.20160622_190418.jpg

Except for some minor changes in the gparted menu positions, the instructions found here were rechecked and found to function fine for:

kali-linux-2016.2

MTeams

I've installed The Iso of Kali Linux 2016.2 on My 4 Gb usb, and using a second 8Gb usb with Live Kali Linux Iso installed on it i've performed this thread's procedures on The second 4gb usb.
    Then i've booted live persistence Kali linux from the 4Gb usb, created some leafpad file Then rebooted, But no change Seems To be persistent And all The Files created are lost.
    How do You suggest me To proceed?

To itanon

Go to the below link. This link is designed for using two usb drives. Note the designations for the drives will have to be taken from what you see in gparted

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...stence+windows

In closing a 4gb drive is pretty small. Suggest you install the persistence on the 8 gig drive.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-11-28 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    To itanon

Go to the below link. This link is designed for using two usb drives. Note the designations for the drives will have to be taken from what you see in gparted

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...stence+windows

In closing a 4gb drive is pretty small. Suggest you install the persistence on the 8 gig drive.

Musket Teams
    First of all, thanks for the support.
    Actually I did follow that guide you linked in your post, the only differences were that I used a 4 GB fd, and the command
    mkdir -p /mnt/usb that didn't work for me, instead I used mkdir /mnt/usb (without -p).
    Nothing changed and still no persistence.
    Any others ideas?
    Last edited by itanon; 2016-11-30 at 16:53.

We have made two persistent usb flash drives using these techniques within the last 48 hours so we know these techniques still work

The most common error is you have used the wrong designation ie sda3 sdb sdc etc, or a 4 gig flash is too small or you misspelled persistence or one of the commands. When doing two flash drives it is easy to get the designations wrong. However we are only guessing.

Musket Teams

For Kali 2016.2 I follow this guide to make the usb live successfully.

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Linux, but fairly accomplished with Windows. My goal is to maintain the windows installation I have on my laptop but to be able to boot to Kali from a usb, ideally with persistence.

I'm trying to perform a Graphical install of Kali from a 8gb USB stick (formatted Fat32). I'm on a toshiba laptop and when i switch the boot sequence to load from the USB I'm presented with the Kali menu. I selected Graphical install and after selecting a few language options I have an error under "Load Installer Components From CD", the error reads "Failed to copy file from cd rom". Don't know if its relevant but my laptop doesn't have a cd rom drive. This seems a fairly common problem and so I've tried re inserting the usb drive, various mount commands but I don't really understand them and I've tried installing Kali light but get exactly the same problem.

I have used a variety of tools to install the KAli ISO to my usb drive, rufus, win32diskimager and unetbootin - all have the same problem. I did notice that when using unetbootin that 7zip was reporting some errors when extracting files, not sure if this is significant (screenshot attached)

extracterrorsmall.jpg

MTeams has never tested a amd install of kali live or persistence.

However your screen shot shows you extracting with 7C. We are unsure why you are doing this? The graphical install is for a hard drive install but at the beginning you talk about persistent usb installs.

We have used the steps provided in this tutorial on persistent usb install of kali-linux R2 with no problems within the last three days so read thru the instructions at the beginning of this thread carefully.

In general let win32diskimager(W32) load the iso onto the flash drive. Just point W32 at the kali-linux iso file and at the flashdrive and when W32 is finished you will have a live version (ie no persistence). You will then need another linux operating system to setup the persistence. There is a tutorial for windows only users on how to do this in these forums.

Write back here if you have any problems and someone on MTeams will help you work thru your problems.

If you want to do a hard drive install and want a dual boot windows/kali linux we can give you our methods but there are several tutorials on the subject already and our methods may not work for Windows 8 and 10 users.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-12-23 at 04:00.

Thanks for your detailed response. So clearly the first thing u am doing wrong is using the graphical install, I thought when attempting to run from a USB. I shall try live and see how I get on thank you. 7c is called by the tool I am using to transfer the iso to the USB drive. I shall use W32 as you suggest. Thanks again

I used Win32Imager and installed the iso onto a usb drive, I reboot and boot from the usb and am presented with the kali menu. I click "live" and I just get a beep and am returned to the menu, this happens when i select the other options as well such as live with persistence. There is an error that appears at the bottom of the screen but it disappears so quickly i can't read it. I'm afraid I'm pretty stuck.

Just tested and work great. thank you

To cgreen69

You could try downloading the iso you require again and try the install. As MTeams noted we have never tried this with an amd install. Possibly someone who has done an amd install may help you or give us more info and we will put our RV unit on it and see what they come up with. Maybe you might try the 32 or 64 bit version instead of amd.

Musket Teams

Changes to my Kali Linux operating system settings are gone after reboot

Hi.

I managed to create a live boot of Kali Linux with a storage partition, meaning 1 partition of 5GB for Kali Linux O/S, and 3GB to store my reports and other files. I had used a Universal USM Installer(UUI), followed by Partition tool to accomplish it. The persistence.conf file is on my 3GB partition.

When I reboot and choose Kali with USB Persistence, the files in my 3GB partition containing reports are still there
    However, changes to my Kali Linux settings are gone. For example, Tor browser installed on desktop missing, sound missing and I have to go over "pulseaudio -D" commands again, install tor again, files saved on desktop missing etc...

It seems changes to my Kali system are only stored in RAM. Is this the right behavior? How can I make changes to my Kali system persistent as well?

Kindly advise

To walnet2388

MTeams knows noting about the USM Installer or partition tool or how the persistence.conf file was produced.

We are unsure then if you followed the steps in this tutorial. Remember a second linux operating system must act on the usb you are installing persistence to.

Therefore was ask you to prove to yourself that the persistent feature is actually functioning. Simply boot into persistence on your flash drive. Open leafpad, write and save a file. Check to see the file is in root then shut down and reboot into persistence and check to see if the file is still there. Step by step test for working persistence is found in the tutorial

If the file is there then your persistence feature should work. All files we install on a persistent usb install thru apt-get install work for us AND all apt-get updates work. All our setting thru kali also stay in place after reboot.

If your persistence feature is working all we can say is try installing again using the steps in this tutorial or tutorials thru kali. Furthermore others in this forum may assist you.

Musket Teams

Thank you I got the persistence working on the Kali Linux OS.

Greetings,

Kindly note that I've just found this thread, & I would like to share my experience:

Tried to make a live Kali on a 230G Transcend External Hard Disc and failed..

Repeated the exact steps I found on the www:

1- Burned an image of Kali 2.0 downloaded from the official website.
    2- Made a "presistent" using MiniTool (Made it about 50G).
    3- Started Kali > Terminal > Then entered all the commands exactly..
    4- Rebooted with a test file.. Nothing happened & the "Persistent" icon is still on desktop

P.S: I'm in Syria, electricity is only 1 hour every 5 hours, so I can't experiment frenquently..

I need help, I can give Skype for further support and much details from my side, as I will repeat the operation with your instructions one electricity is on.

Pardon me for bad English!

All the Best,

To Kamov1987

1. MTeams has no experience with using these procedures on a 230 gig usb external Hard Disk.

2. MTeams has never used Minitool

Therefore:

Suggest you purchase a 8 gig usb flash drive

Use the tools MTeams suggests. You can also follow the procedures suggested by the kali linux team.

As far as electricity we have experience here. Suggest a few solar panels a few batteries and a cheap 12 volt car battery inverter. We use these tools to include cheap grid tie inverters and 12 volt led light bulbs(no internal retifier the light bulb is wired directly into to car battery or telephone line.

MTeams

After writing the ISO on the usb drive(16GB memory) with win32DiskImager, Gparted shows three partitions on the drive: the first of 2.8GB (where I assume the ISO has been written), a second partition of 105MB labeled as FAT, and a third one of about 12GB of free unallocated space....My doubt: Is normal to have the FAT partition???....I've done this process several times on this drive with these same tools in the past, but I don't remember I've ever had a FAT partition after the ISO writing process....anything's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by itanon View Post
    After writing the ISO on the usb drive(16GB memory) with win32DiskImager, Gparted shows three partitions on the drive: the first of 2.8GB (where I assume the ISO has been written), a second partition of 105MB labeled as FAT, and a third one of about 12GB of free unallocated space....My doubt: Is normal to have the FAT partition???....I've done this process several times on this drive with these same tools in the past, but I don't remember I've ever had a FAT partition after the ISO writing process....anything's wrong?
    It's because DD method is being used to make the image bootable. I've noticed the same problem when i used rufus to make kali week 15 image bootable. I was able to make the earlier kali weekly image (week<=15) bootable using the ISO method but now rufus is not allowing me to make week 15 image bootable using ISO method. It is actually causing me a lot of problems. I'm not liking those 3 unecessary partitions. I've to combine the partitions later. There would be no problem if you somehow able to make it bootable using ISO method. Hope they fix this issue in week 16 image.

Hi, first time using linux.

Trying to create a live usb with persistence.

Followed this guide. http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence

ran into this issue http://imgur.com/bxv3F6s
    "no such file or directory"

so i searched some more and found these instructions http://docs.kali.org/kali-dojo/03-ka...nce-encryption

and on step 0x02 after i enter "mkpart primary 3050 10000" I get "error: cant have overlapping partitions"

I have no idea what I did wrong or how to fix it? any ideas?

the only thing I will add is that when I print sdb it says
    disk /dev/sdb: 16.0gb
    sector size (logical/physical) :512b/512b
    partition table: msdos
    disk flags:

number start end size type file system flags
    1 16.4kb 16.0gb 16.0gb primary fat32 boot, lba

To Brokiff

It appears to us that you have used a different approach then what is suggested in this thread. Furthermore it appears you might be trying to use encryption which is not covered here. You might find a thread that covers the steps you used and post there or try the steps outlined here and then comment.

MTeams

My method kali 2017.1

Open rufus, insert your usb drive and select the ISO image to use

You are done! Restart your computer and set your usb drive as a boot device.

Select persistence and start

Type gparted in a terminal window

Select usb disk unallocated block

Create new Partition

Create as: Primary Partition

File system: ext4

Label: persistence

Select Apply All Operations

Open terminal window

fdisk -l

see sda2 ,sdb2 or sdc2 your usb and edit code (no change other)

mkdir -p /mnt/KALI

mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/KALI

echo "/ union" > /mnt/KALI/persistence.conf

umount /mnt/KALI

and reboot

Thank you, this procedure worked nicely for me. All my settings are now persistent EXCEPT I am unable to change the root password.