Thread: Can't login after Upgrade to kali sana

Angry Can't login after Upgrade to kali sana

Hello every one, before all my english is not epic :P . I've been using kali since a year beside windows and evry thing worked fine , i use it a lot even for normal OS usage. When kali 2.0 was released i decided to upgrade , i changed the repository and did a dist-upgrade ,all done successfully (i guess D )

The problem is when i lunch it and get the GUI interface to login i see on screen "not listed?" well not a big deal kind same thing i had in previous release root not listed , i click on that and i get a user/pass promt , tried to login as "root" with my old password , didn't work even tried "toor" , "root" , and many passwords nothing worked, cause it's an upgrade normally it'll be same as old release. so checked the keyboard language etc all fine , even tried user "Root" with capital R..nothing worked , of course i searched evry where for solutions ,no one have this problem , there's similar ones but they have installed kali for 1st time..

General info : kali 2.0 32bits GNOME , QWERTY keyboard ,old passowrd is letter-only no spacial caracters.
    Hope someone have an idea how to fix this , realy dont want to download all the new release and get all data lost..-_-

Lightbulb

Have the same problem. It's not keyboard, or gdm config. You have to edit pam.d config.

as root edit file
    Code:
    nano /etc/pam.d/gdm-password
    find line
    Code:
    auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
    Remove or comment out line by prefixing "#"

Code:
    # auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
    Save file and exit.

Not sure i can access a terminal , cause i can't login , maybe in restore mode...

Well i lunched recovery mode i was able to login with old password , then i idited file ad you said , but now when i try to login to system default , or gnome i get this error "Oh no! something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and system can't recover. Please log out and try again. But i login succcessfully to gnome classic and the rest... -_-

Quote Originally Posted by michacker View Post
    Well i lunched recovery mode i was able to login with old password , then i idited file ad you said , but now when i try to login to system default , or gnome i get this error "Oh no! something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and system can't recover. Please log out and try again. But i login succcessfully to gnome classic and the rest... -_-
    maybe you need to change the themes . and choose fallback session

I've had the same problem after upgrading from 1.1.0a to 2.0!
    Boot into Recovery Mode:
    Code:
    cd /etc/pam.d
    rm gdm-autologin.dpkg
    cp gdm-autologin.dpkg-old /etc/pam.d gdm-autologin.dpkg
    rm gdm-password.dpkg
    cp gdm-password.dpkg-old /etc/pam.d gdm-password.dpkg
    That had done the trick! Now I'm able to login...

P.S. However the sidebar with applications is not working for me (I'm able to access it form pointing the up right corner).

Quote Originally Posted by noobiesmall View Post
    I've had the same problem after upgrading from 1.1.0a to 2.0!
    Boot into Recovery Mode:
    Code:
    cd /etc/pam.d
    rm gdm-autologin.dpkg
    cp gdm-autologin.dpkg-old /etc/pam.d gdm-autologin.dpkg
    rm gdm-password.dpkg
    cp gdm-password.dpkg-old /etc/pam.d gdm-password.dpkg
    That had done the trick! Now I'm able to login...

P.S. However the sidebar with applications is not working for me (I'm able to access it form pointing the up right corner).
    will try it, even if i think my probleme is with kali-desktop package, remember during the upgrade had probleme with it sayin package broking or somthing , and same when i do a apt-get upgrade....will let you know soo

Quote Originally Posted by michacker View Post
    will try it, even if i think my probleme is with kali-desktop package, remember during the upgrade had probleme with it sayin package broking or somthing , and same when i do a apt-get upgrade....will let you know soo
    apt-get upgrade -f (I had that problem too)

I just got this problem and I've found a solution. At least it has worked for me. In recovery mode try "dpkg --configure -a"

I had the same issue, I fixed it this way:

Turn it on and let it get to the login prompt

Hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 (Anywhere between F2 and F6 will do actually, it just changes between tty's)

Login as root (or with user that can sudo)

Enter "dpkg --configure -a"

reboot

try logging in to the gui now...
    Last edited by St0ner1995; 2016-11-16 at 23:19. Reason: rebooting helps too