Thread: Nexus 9 troubles.

Nexus 9 troubles.

Hi everyone,

I've installed NetHunter on Goggle Nexus 9 after grueling 4 hours. Everything launches fine, except that my laptop refuses to see Nexus as a device but whatever. Now I have two major problems.

Problem #1: when I try to ping I get message "socket: Permission denied".
    Problem #2: all of the terminals except the first one open as some random user U#12344 and not as root@kali.

I googled both problems. Not sure if there is a fix for #2 except typing "su - root", "bootkali" every time I open a new shell. Maybe someone has a solution.
    But #1 is just not going away. I tried solution with changing /etc/group or groupadd inet service, then adding user to it. It did not change anything. I understand that there is some "PARANOID" mode or setting set to yes in kernel. I don't know how to change it. If you know a solution and can write for me step by step what I'm supposed to do - I would appreciate it a lot because I can't use Nexus when I can't even ping.
    Thanks in advance!

update 1. I should probably add that I used Nexus 9 Lollipop Download 0.8G 2.0 (0a35c6528a1a1a0226b75f4993f09aadec3f7005) image from a main website. Maybe I should try some other/older images? (If there are any)

update 2. Looks like I become unable to ping only after I update Kali with "Update Kali Chroot" from main Kali Launcher console. So I guess the answer is to not update anything for now?
    Last edited by johhnymnemony; 2015-08-21 at 17:51. Reason: update 2.

I did a few things in process of trying top fix it, (which I did get working) but I have not gone back through to see which was the key step.

1. pull up the kali terminal (where you are root@kali#) just type su (yes I know you are technically already root). it should bring you right back to the prompt. now try your ping, ie.. ping www.google.com. if this works technically your set. I didn't try this by itself before my other steps. So I started here to make sure the others were not necissary.

2. if 1 didn't do it for you, next make sure you actually ran the busy box installer, just open busy box and hit install (I ended up installing once to xbin, and once to bin while testing.)

3. next i noticed that the ping's owner in /system/bin/ was not root, it was shell.. so I adjusted that.
    - open another non kali terminal and just type su {enter}. so you should be root, just not in kali. then 'chown root /system/bin/ping'
    - after this I just killed all the terminals and went back into kali terminal through the kali launcher.

4. ping still didn't work right away, but this was shen I noticed if I did step 1 ping would work just fine.

Now I'm not sure if this is the propery way around it for now, but its working for me. dont really see a reason this couldn't be done for anything in /system/bin/. but let me know if this works for you. Or if it worked with step 1 out of the box.

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get Nethunter to work on my Nexus 9 for a week now, but it seems my chroot is broken or something...

Did you get all of the Nethunter tools running?
    Can you also do apt-get?

Hi Guys,

Did you get Nethunter working on the Nexus 9? I am stuk with a broken chroot.
    I cannot do apt-get update (command not found) and most of the scripts dont work.

Are all of the options working with your installations??
    Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus9 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Did you get Nethunter working on the Nexus 9? I am stuk with a broken chroot.
    I cannot do apt-get update (command not found) and most of the scripts dont work.

Are all of the options working with your installations??
    Thanks...
    1.) make sure you're rooted
    2.) before you install kali/nethunter run busybox and install it (IN THE APP INSTALL WHATS NEEDED! Think this needs to be clarified)
    3.) in order to run shell commands once nethunter is installed you need to go to the nethunter menu and launch a kali shell
    4.) apt-get update, apt-get install, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade all work
    5.) you can modify your repo file like for kali 2.0 to have access to all kali tools (process on this page https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20-released/ )
    6.) hope it works for you and good luck!

Hi deadlyhabit,

Ah, it seems I got root access working now if I go to kali shell.
    (It does not work from the Kali chroot environment though, but that may be intentional?)

apt-* works like a charm. Thanks!