Thread: cracking 5gHz wireless with airodump-ng

Question cracking 5gHz wireless with airodump-ng

So, I've been using my alfa awus051nh to play with various networks, cracking my WEP router at home, as well as finding a WEP wireless router at work during a recent audit, and cracking that one as well.

I began playing with my 5ghz wireless router at home, and wondered if it would be possible to crack it as well. I first had to set my Alfa to US wireless ranges, as the country code set on my Alfa "00" would not show my network (country code '00' is the default on this card)

My first attempt using airodump-ng gave me the following:

BSSID PWR Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID
    00:22:6B:68:5D:19 -34 17549 0 0 -1 54e WPA2 CCMP PSK Office(5N)

Unfortunately, I could not use '-1' for the channel when filtering out my networks. So I had to use the '-C' and set the channel range to the 5ghz ranges, but whittling it down to the frequency was difficult. I ended up finding '5260 mhz', and that translated to 'channel 140', but that did not seem to work with airodump-ng, so I locked the frequency in (airodump-ng -C 5260-5260 --bssid 00:22:6B:68:5D:19 -w office5ghz wlan0mon)

It takes a few seconds for that to find the router, but it does find it. I took my phone and connected to the Office(5N) router. It's odd though, sometimes airodump-ng saw my phone (I recognized it by MAC), but fails to see my macbook pro, which I'm using on that network right now to send this post.

And even though it didn't see my phone or macbook all the time, I was able to capture packets being sent by it, and airodump-ng apparently caught the 4-way handshake my phone did at one point with the router.

*update* about 5 seconds ago, I switched back to my airodump-ng console to watch the progress, and it found 4 hosts... which I believe are my phone, macbook, and the extender AP, and 15 seconds later, they disappeared again... I don't know what the heck is going on...

Has anyone played around with sniffing 5ghz networks, and do they have any pointers or if there is a better application to use when sniffing these networks?

Im interested in this as well as I have an alfa N dual band usb dongle and have never known how to work the 5ghz band instead of just the 2.4.
    Last edited by wurmt0ngue; 2013-04-25 at 16:42. Reason: I suck at spelling

It's been a while... Was my question ambiguous? Do I need to supply additional clarification or perhaps screenshots to explain my dilemma?

did you try the --band option of airodump-ng ?

I've done this successfully with my AWUS051NH using the '--band a' trigger. Ref:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airodump-ng

Quote Originally Posted by _sentinel View Post
    I've done this successfully with my AWUS051NH using the '--band a' trigger. Ref:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airodump-ng
    i am facing same problem as "chpwned" wrote.

Please review the below mentioned Access Point configuration:

channel: 48

interface type: 802.11a/n

Entity description: 802.11N 5Ghz Radio

i have fix/set channel wlan0 on 48 as well

iwconfig wlan0 channel 48
    iwconfig mon0 channel 48

but when i sniff and capturing data via "airodump-ng --write wpacapture --bssid 00:00:00:00:00:00 --channel 48 mon0"

using above mentioned gave me the following:

BSSID PWR Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID
    00:43:e2:A2:33:60:70 -53 0 42 37 0 120 54e WPA2 CCMP MGT

i have fixed my wlan0 is on 48 channel so anyone know why is showing on 120 channel.

Note: I were using Alfa AWUS036H and working properly with 2.4 frequency but right now i need to work on 5 GHz, as you know this card not supporting 5 Ghz frequency so i am using build-in wifi card. i have ibm lenovo x201