Thread: Booting a live persistent USB on my macbook pro and lenovo yoga 2 windows tablet.

Angry Booting a live persistent USB on my macbook pro and lenovo yoga 2 windows tablet.

Hi,

I used to have a dell laptop in which I was able to dual boot Kali Linux and backtrack before that. It used to work fine. Now I had to get a MacBook Pro 13in Retina 2015 model for work, and I wanted to use a live usb (persistent) install to learn it. Dual booting or Virtual Machines are not an option because I only have 256 GB of SSD spaced I don't want to think twice about my SSD space before downloading any new software I want to try.

Now, I have followed instruction on how to create a live usb install that are available here. But when I try to boot it doesn't work. I have tried using rEEfind and rEEFit but I might have done a mistake of some sort because it is not working.

Also, I want to use the same usb stick with my Lenovo yoga 2 tablet which comes in with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. But I am unable to find the boot menu order for it in the boot menu. I have no clue on how to proceed ( if it is indeed possible to ). So, I'd really appreciate it if any of you point to resources that would teach me how to make the USB drive bootable in all sorts of devices including my MacBook and Tablet. ( would be really awesome if you can also point out a resource to boot via an OTG on a mobile if that is even possible. )

If this thread is a duplicate, then please point me to the correct one as I am unable to find one addressing all my problems.

Musket Teams cannot help you with your mac but you should have a window emulator so read thru these two threads maybe they will help you

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...(Windows-Only)

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-0-flash-drive

MTeams

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but my flash drive is not being even recognised by my MacBook. I'm sure that incompatibility is the main issue, as setting up persistence is just adding another ext4/fat32 partition (afaik). However I have never encountered this problem before (I have never used a mac before.) SO, I am waiting for someone to reply with proper instructions on how to boot from this usb stick on a mac, to check the processes detailed in your links.

To pioneer11x

1. Have you gone into your bios and set up the boot order so the computer boots from the usb before the hard drive?

2. If your flash drive is not recognized does that mean if you plug it in when your mac OS is operating that the mac OS cannot recognize the usb drive or when you boot up the computer the computer does not recognize the flash drive?

Maybe some mac user will step in here and give you some help.

MTeams