Thread: Which linux os is most similar to kali?

Which linux os is most similar to kali?

I am a linux noob somewhat other than a bit of backtrack and kali use for last few years, I would like to install a linux os most similar to kali, but also most user friendly in terms of available programs for it such as torrent and or news server programs, office programs, and cd/dvd programs, printer friendy drivers, as well as itunes if available.
    I will be setting up a triple boot system windows/kali/linux(similar to kali)
    I just want to learn the linux os most similar to kali and without being root all the time, plus I would like to switch to linux for good, and learn how to do everything in linux that your average linux user should know.

BackBox, it's based on Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
    I am a linux noob somewhat other than a bit of backtrack and kali use for last few years, I would like to install a linux os most similar to kali, but also most user friendly in terms of available programs for it such as torrent and or news server programs, office programs, and cd/dvd programs, printer friendy drivers, as well as itunes if available.
    I will be setting up a triple boot system windows/kali/linux(similar to kali)
    I just want to learn the linux os most similar to kali and without being root all the time, plus I would like to switch to linux for good, and learn how to do everything in linux that your average linux user should know.
    Debian is what Kali is based on in 2.0
    Honestly any distro should give you a good familiarization, it's just a matter of getting on with the terminal commands, various windows shells, and scripting.

My two cents:
    Get all your friends off Windows by having them try Linux Mint. It's as noob-friendly as it can possibly be made.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Doe View Post
    My two cents:
    Get all your friends off Windows by having them try Linux Mint. It's as noob-friendly as it can possibly be made.
    That or Ubuntu.
    Both very noob friendly.
    Personally I started with Free BSD then went to Slackware, both very non noob friendly at the time, but then again I started learning ASM to code TI-83 calculators and gameboys when I was like 12.

I figure I will spend some time with linux mint, probably mate. Looks pretty good! I am going to wait until kali 2.0 has worked a few bugs out first then I will attempt the triple boot install win7 kali and mint, any tips on a successful first try lol? I managed to setup a 4 way boot system once, but that was a fluke I am sure lol, and grub was not involved. Then hopefully I can convert some people over to linux!