Thread: Can I install packages from Debian repos?

Can I install packages from Debian repos?

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to Kali-Linux, but I am not new to Linux. I started off with Ubuntu a little over 6 years ago and gradually worked my way to Debian Testing. I did a lot of distro hopping but always came back to the Debian lineage. I have played around with Kali on a USB, but never did much with it.

I have in the past had up to 4 distros on 1 computer, but now I dual-boot Linux only and use Mint 17 as a kind of a safety net in case I break Debian. I have 2 laptops set up this way, but when I recently learned that Kali is now a rolling release, I decided to make room for Kali on my back up laptop.

My question comes from my concern about this particular laptop having something of a tendency to overheat. I have alleviated this concern in my Debian and Mint installations by setting up a minimalist Conky install to monitor the temperatures of the hard drive and processor cores.

So I was disappointed to find that the packages I need: conky-all, hddtemp and lm-sensors cannot be obtained from the Kali repos. My first idea was to edit apt/sources.list to include the Debian Jessie repos. But I have learned enough not to rush into such things without research, so I joined this forum and did some reading.

I also downloaded conky and the 2 sensor packages, but of course as I was doing that I realized that won't satisfy the dependencies.

My next idea was to add the Jessie repos to the sources list just long enough to get what I need to set Conky up and then comment out the Debian repos. But that still seems a bit risky, so after a bit more searching and reading I decided to ask this question.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

It is not recommended to install additional repos to your Kali Linux install.

Kali sources.list Repositories
    Any additional repositories added to the Kali sources.list file will most likely BREAK YOUR KALI LINUX INSTALL.

Thank you very much for your answer, but I already read that. In my case I do not think the possibility of breakage matters very much.

I only ran Kali-Linux for a relatively short time after I installed it, definitely no more than a half hour. It did not take long before the fan was screaming and the bottom of the laptop was very warm.

So I rebooted into Debian, and even after the time to shut down, reboot and the waiting period before Conky started, the internal temps were well over 60C, about 20 degrees over normal for Debian or Mint. From this, it is obvious that Kali-Linux runs much hotter than either Debian Stretch or Mint 17, and I wasn't doing much of anything. I just had 2 browser tabs open.

So I will not run Kali-Linux from the hard drive of that machine without Conky to monitor the internal temperatures. Of course, it is quite likely that getting Conky functional will convince me to uninstall Kali from that machine, and I am very curious to find out.

I can always go back to running Kali from a USB on my other machine, which tends to run cooler, but I would prefer a hard drive installation with Conky, and there simply is not room for a permanent install on the other machine.

So, I am very tempted to proceed with trying to install Conky on Kali in spite of the possibility of breakage, but I will wait for a while in case anyone has another suggestion.

Thanks for reading

I have the seem issue, in one or two hours to start to use Kali Linux my laptop is overheat and restarted alone, so I wanna know if exist any method to prevent this because that **** won´t happens in debian jessie....
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2018-02-13 at 13:24. Reason: Foul language