Thread: Nexus 7 (2013) + TL-WN722N Causing Kernel Panic

Nexus 7 (2013) + TL-WN722N Causing Kernel Panic

Hello. I know this is posted EVERYWHERE in this forum, but everything I'm finding isn't really helping me, especially with the newest versions of NetHunter/Android.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) with a known working OTG cable (it's worked with other non-WiFi USB adapters) and a known working TL-WN722N USB WiFi adapter.

If I attach the USB adapter to the Nexus, it seems to show up using "lsusb" and (most of the time) it is recognized as wlan1. However, when I attempt to put the device into monitor mode through WiFite, "iwconfig" or using "airmon-ng" the device locks up and reboots. I'm not using a Y OTG cable as I don't have one.

• The Nexus is running Android 4.4.4 (I had issues installing 5.x).
    • The NetHunter launcher says version 1.0 - built by vx at 2015-07-09
    • "uname -a" from the NetHunter shell reports
    Code:
    Linux kali 3.4.0-Kali-gdce1b01 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 10 1105:19 EDT 2015 armv71 GNU/Linux
    • About this tablet reports
    Code:
    3.4.0-Kali-gdce1b01 root@kali #1 Mon Aug 10 11:05:19 EDT 2015
    Build Number
    Code:
    KTU84P
    I'm curious about what to expect. A lot of reports are saying that this should work without an OTG-Y Cable when using Android 4.4.4, but then there are so many posts on this topic and I don't understand enough on this topic to properly discern what information is worth reading or what's to old. I am willing to downgrade to earlier builds of Android if that will fix the issue. Should I try stumbling through compiling my own kernel with specific flags set to get this working? My goal is to not have to use an external power source in conjunction with the tablet/USB dongle.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Hmmm mine works fine on a normal OTG same setup.
    Hop into a nethunter shell and make sure everything is up to date.
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install
    apt-get upgrade && apt get dist-upgrade
    If that doesn't fix it, I'm at a loss.

Just ran that, but everything is updated. Thanks for the idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by mire3212 View Post
    Just ran that, but everything is updated. Thanks for the idea though.
    How are you putting it in monitor mode?
    Are you using the:

Code:
    airmon-ng check kill
    airmon-ng start wlan1
    method?

I usually just run
    Code:
    airmon-ng stat wlan1

I just tried this morning to see what would happen if I added the 'check kill' command as well, but as soon as I plugged in the adapter via OTG, the device rebooted. After it came back online, wlan1 did show up in "ifconfig -a"; I ran the two airmon-ng command, but it threw some errors and now wlan1 isn't showing at all despite "lsusb" showing up then eventually rebooted again.

I'm also having issues accessing the Kali environment via SSH so I'm not able to easily grab the dmesg logs. Is there something I can provide to help demonstrate this issue?

I usually just run
    Code:
    airmon-ng stat wlan1

I just tried this morning to see what would happen if I added the 'check kill' command as well, but as soon as I plugged in the adapter via OTG, the device rebooted. After it came back online, wlan1 did show up in "ifconfig -a"; I ran the two airmon-ng command, but it threw some errors and now wlan1 isn't showing at all despite "lsusb" showing up then eventually rebooted again.

I'm also having issues accessing the Kali environment via SSH so I'm not able to easily grab the dmesg logs. Is there something I can provide to help demonstrate this issue?
    Couple quick questions for you.
    1.) What version of Nethunter are you using?
    2.) Stock android rom or custom?

Just tried to replicate it on mine, but couldn't.

1.) What's the best way to check this? According to the NetHunter applications, I'm on "Version 1.0 - Built by vx at 2015-07-09 06:55:42 PM CDT"

2.) Also, what's the best way to check this? I did have a problem during the original installation of NetHunter when my Nexus was on Lollipop and I had to re-install. I installed 4.4.4 by downloading it from Google, but I'm not sure if I did it completely right to be honest.

So I just tried using TWRP to re-flash the firmware and selected the options "Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik" and then used the .zip from the NetHhunter site "kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_razor_kitkat.zip" and the thing still rebooted when I connected the USB WiFi adapter.

• I have a WiFi Nexus 7 (2013) which is Flo/Razor if I understand correctly
    • I'm using Android 4.4.4

So I just tried using TWRP to re-flash the firmware and selected the options "Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik" and then used the .zip from the NetHhunter site "kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_razor_kitkat.zip" and the thing still rebooted when I connected the USB WiFi adapter.

• I have a WiFi Nexus 7 (2013) which is Flo/Razor if I understand correctly
    • I'm using Android 4.4.4
    Alright I'll run down the whole process for you (assuming windows installation)

1.) Download and extract the stock google 4.4 image from here https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-b1b2c0da.tgz and follow the process to restore it to this image https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=en

2.) Download the KitKat Nethunter version from here http://images.kali.org/kali_linux_ne...zor_kitkat.zip

3.) Follow the steps on the Nethunter prepare page http://www.nethunter.com/prepare/

4.) You shouldn't need to install TWRP as wugsoft's nrt software should for you.

5.) Drag and drop the Nethunter kali image to the root of your sd storage

6.) Boot into TWRP using the TWRP bootmanger app you'll have to snag from the play store

7.) Follow the rest of the install steps http://www.nethunter.com/install/

8.) Wait for it install and reboot

9.) Open a Nethunter shell and run
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install
    apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    10.) Should be able to see your TL-WN722N if you power off plug it in and power back on under iwconfig

11.) You'll need to download pciutils to use monitor mode which will be
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install pciutils
    12.) Test it by running
    Code:
    airmon-ng check kill
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    wash -i wlan0mon
    13.) To resume normal services
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop wlan0mon
    service network-manger start
    Hopefully this should get you up and running, just remember unplugging the otg or adapter while the tablet is on will reset the device.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyhabit View Post
    Alright I'll run down the whole process for you (assuming windows installation)

I have been trying to use Kali to do all of this as I don't run Windows primarily. I have a Windows 7 system in VirtualBox so I'll try these exact steps and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!!

np There should be instructions on how to do it manually on the nethunter.com page for kali. My laptop is 100% kali for pentesting, but my desktop is win7, kali, and osx for max options.
    Also I'd recommend the hak5 horums as well as they tend to move a bit faster than here.

Hopefully this should get you up and running, just remember unplugging the otg or adapter while the tablet is on will reset the device.
    I followed the steps using the NetHunter Windows Installer and got back to NetHunter.

•*Plugged in the TP-Link, and the Nexus rebooted.
    •*Left it plugged in, got a green LED and the device showed up in "ifconfig -a" and "airmon-ng" (Confirmed the USB device is showing as wlan0)
    •*Ran both "airmon-ng check kill" and "airmon-ng start wlan0"; the device became wlan0mon
    • Ran WiFite (no arguments) and the device rebooted; It got stuck in a reboot cycle until I detached the OTG cable.
    • After it came back online, I powered down, attached the OTG cable and then booted it up again.
    • Read some internet stuffs that alludes to WiFite possibly being borked in the current NetHunter build (no idea cause I'm not sure what version I'm on anyway)
    • Figured out that I can run "airmon-ng check kill; airmon-ng start wlan0; wifite --mon-iface wlan0mon" and it was able to start scanning networks!!

I'm leary about it being stable, but we'll see

Thanks for the help so far!!!

EDIT: I think my OTG cable/USB port is loose because if I put too much pressure in the wrong spot it seems to disconnect (Green LED goes out) and the unit reboots. I've already got an OTG-Y Cable on order, we'll see if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by mire3212; 2015-08-26 at 01:02.

I followed the steps using the NetHunter Windows Installer and got back to NetHunter.

•*Plugged in the TP-Link, and the Nexus rebooted.
    •*Left it plugged in, got a green LED and the device showed up in "ifconfig -a" and "airmon-ng" (Confirmed the USB device is showing as wlan0)
    •*Ran both "airmon-ng check kill" and "airmon-ng start wlan0"; the device became wlan0mon
    • Ran WiFite (no arguments) and the device rebooted; It got stuck in a reboot cycle until I detached the OTG cable.
    • After it came back online, I powered down, attached the OTG cable and then booted it up again.
    • Read some internet stuffs that alludes to WiFite possibly being borked in the current NetHunter build (no idea cause I'm not sure what version I'm on anyway)
    • Figured out that I can run "airmon-ng check kill; airmon-ng start wlan0; wifite --mon-iface wlan0mon" and it was able to start scanning networks!!

I'm leary about it being stable, but we'll see

Thanks for the help so far!!!

EDIT: I think my OTG cable/USB port is loose because if I put too much pressure in the wrong spot it seems to disconnect (Green LED goes out) and the unit reboots. I've already got an OTG-Y Cable on order, we'll see if that makes a difference.
    Yea the Nexus 2013 wifi mini usb port gets loose pretty easily, I've bent mine back in a few times using an exacto knife and jewelers screwdrivers, thankfully the otg I got from Amazon is a nice tight fit compared to my y cable.

Did you do it manually like I listed or use the installer, because I don't think the installer does 2.0 just 1.0.
    In which case it should work out of the box.

This is the otg i use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00 that I'd recommend (2 pack to boot).
    With lollipop this ethernet otg works as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00 , just couldn't get my alfa cards or wn722n to work on old or new nethunter in lollipop.

If you do get it up can recommend a bunch of apps on play and off that are great on top of nethunter.
    intercepter-ng for starters.

pretty much between my nethunter tablet and cards, a wifi pineapple mk v, and reaver pro ii along with some cards and a tripod case containing this:

(tripod dual yagi setup)

I have a lil utility messenger bag and tripod case with a couple batteries to do loads of wifi stuff just walking/driving/biking around.
    Last edited by deadlyhabit; 2015-08-26 at 03:27.

I love it! That setup is actually something I"m looking at doing as well. I have a wifi pineapple mk5 that I think would appreciate having an extended reach with antennas like that I like the ides of mounting using PVC and a small tripod, that seems like a great way to keep it upright!

So far I'm able to get WiFi to work with the adapter (as well as airmon-ng tools), but I think I'm running into an issue with Reaver -- it seems like any WPS type attacks don't progress; this seems to be a potential known issue though. I'm considering downgrading to 4.4.2 as 4.4.3+ seems to be a huge reason why the WiFi adapter is as finicky as it is... We'll see.

Thanks for the help!!

I love it! That setup is actually something I"m looking at doing as well. I have a wifi pineapple mk5 that I think would appreciate having an extended reach with antennas like that I like the ides of mounting using PVC and a small tripod, that seems like a great way to keep it upright!

So far I'm able to get WiFi to work with the adapter (as well as airmon-ng tools), but I think I'm running into an issue with Reaver -- it seems like any WPS type attacks don't progress; this seems to be a potential known issue though. I'm considering downgrading to 4.4.2 as 4.4.3+ seems to be a huge reason why the WiFi adapter is as finicky as it is... We'll see.

Thanks for the help!!
    Let me try a pixiewps attack on a couple APs that I know are vulnerable and I'll report back. Unfortunately the TL-WN722N doesn't have the transmitting power or ability to pump it to 30db like my Alfa cards.
    Edit: Just ran the attack successfully, so injection and everything is working properly including reaver.

Figured I'd copy a list I made on the hak5 forums about apps I install as well that are nice additions to Nethunter from the play store and some not on top of Intercepter-NG

-AdAway
    -Adblock Plus
    -bVNC
    -ES File Explorer
    -ES Task Manager
    -F-Droid
    -Fast Notepad
    -Fing
    -Flud
    -GPS Status
    -Greenify
    -IP Webcam
    -My Real IP
    -RAR
    -Router Utilities
    -Shark
    -Shark Reader
    -Splashtop
    -TWRP Manager
    -Wifi Analyzer
    -Wifi Collector
    -Wifi Key View
    -Wifi Radar
    -Wifi Compass
    -WiGLE Wifi
    -zANTI
    Last edited by deadlyhabit; 2015-08-27 at 02:25.

Which USB adapters have you found that work the best?

Which USB adapters have you found that work the best?
    For Kali or NetHunter?

I guess both? Right now I'm using the TP-link for either, but the TP-Link as we've seen is giving some interesting trouble. Plus I wouldn't mind something that has a bit more power to reach out a little farther.

I would also like to find something tiny that I can easily use with NetHunter to conceal the WiFi adapter for a more clandestine look too.

I guess both? Right now I'm using the TP-link for either, but the TP-Link as we've seen is giving some interesting trouble. Plus I wouldn't mind something that has a bit more power to reach out a little farther.

I would also like to find something tiny that I can easily use with NetHunter to conceal the WiFi adapter for a more clandestine look too.
    Well unfortunately none of my Alfa cards I own work with Nethunter so left with the TP-Link and Rosewill RNX-N150HG both with inject fine, but can't be TX boosted.
    Next month hoping to order some new cards.
    Investing in antennas is worth it though even like a 6dbi or 9dbi omni is better than what cards ship with.

If you want a checklist of what I have for my Wi-Fi setup bags and such no problem, can even list some costs.
    A good chunk of additional *** I got from a dollar store.
    Currently working on this project https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...i-diy-pwnplug/

Edit:
    Swearing
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-10-21 at 08:46. Reason: Swearing

If you want a checklist of what I have for my Wi-Fi setup bags and such no problem, can even list some costs.
    A good chunk of additional *** I got from a dollar store.
    Currently working on this project https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...i-diy-pwnplug/
    I always appreciate knowing what other people bring along as equipment! I'm always looking for new things to add to my list o' equipment!

Edit:
    Swearing Quote
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-10-21 at 10:02. Reason: Swearing Quote

Gimme a couple will link it all. Mad max game and haven and hearth 2 has me gaming again

Drinking a bit tonight and some friends borrowed some of my adapters, but pic and will list what's in it later:
    Last edited by deadlyhabit; 2015-09-24 at 04:44.