Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Kali Linux 2.0 (Sana) in UEFI Mode (Dual Boot Windows 8/8.1/10)

Install Kali Linux 2.0 (Sana) in UEFI Mode (Dual Boot Windows 8/8.1/10)

This is a tiny tutorial for dual booting Kali Linux 2.0 (sana) with Windows 8/8.1/10 in UEFI Mode.

Note: Your Windows installation has to be in UEFI mode. (To ensure, visit: https://vimeo.com/137618855)
    Note: Please make sure you watch the video in at least 480p (1080p is also available).

Step 1. Make some space in Windows for installing Kali LInux.
    Step 2. Create Bootable Installation Media (Use Win32 DiskImager in Windows or use dd in Linux) I used the disk: http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2.0/kal...-2.0-amd64.iso
    Step 3. Boot using this media in LEGACY BIOS/CMS mode. I know that Kali Linux 2.0 claims to support UEFI, but for me, it didn't work. Even the hypervisors Qemu and VMWare segfaulted.
    Step 4. Create at least two partitions (I created swap and one for /). DO NOT create any bios_grub partition and DO NOT setup any boot loader. Continue with the installation, but skip setting up boot loader.
    Step 5. Create Bootable Installation Media for any Linux Distribution, which is UEFI compatible, and supports live mode. I prefer System Rescue Disk: http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/proje...-x86-4.5.4.iso . You can also use Ubuntu Installation Media. If you choose the latter, you can follow the tutorial: https://vimeo.com/137620480 and if you choose the former, follow the tutorial: https://vimeo.com/137686117
    Step 6. Boot using this media in UEFI mode. Make sure it is UEFI, otherwise it won't work. Once booted, fire up a terminal and type the following to confirm:
    Code:
     [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
    Step 7. Use gdisk to figure out which partition contains your Kali Linux installation. For me, it was /dev/sda4. Might be different for you. Type the following to figure it out.
    Code:
    gdisk -l /dev/sda
    Step 8. Mount the Kali Linux partition to /mnt. Also mount (in bind mode) /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys
    Code:
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ; do mount -B $i /mnt/$i ; done
    Step 9. Create the directory /mnt/boot/efi
    Code:
    mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
    Step 10. Mount the EFI partition to the newly created directory. Use gdisk -l /dev/sda to figure that out. For me, it was /dev/sda1
    HTML Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
    Step 11. Chroot into /mnt.
    Code:
    chroot /mnt "/bin/bash"
    Step 12. Add sana repository, using the command: echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    echo deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib | tee -a  /etc/apt/sources.list
    Step 13. Update apt-get.
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Step 14. Install grub-efi package.
    Code:
    apt-get install -y grub-efi
    Step 15. Setup grub.
    Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Step 16. Reboot, boot into Kali, and run the following again:
    Code:
    Tada! Done!
    Last edited by nehaljwani; 2015-08-29 at 17:24. Reason: Added Tutorial Link for creating bootable media for SystemRescueCD.

Can't get system rescue disk to boot I've changed usb to boot first in bios I've manually selected the drive and I've disabled secure boot but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to boot under uefi so I am unable to finish the setup can someone please help
    Last edited by Jerseyweed; 2015-08-28 at 07:22. Reason: Spelling

Instead of using system rescue disk, you can use any UEFI compatible linux media which allows you to spawn a terminal and chroot into the installed partition.

Hi, first of all thank you for the guide, it worked great up to this point;
    after mounting like you do in the video I try to execute "grub-install /dev/sda" without quotation marks
    This does not execute correctly and gives me the following error: "grub-install: error: cannot open 'boot/efi/EFI/Kali/grubx64.efi' : Input/Output error."

How do I fix this? Also if I would attempt to boot back into windows right now, would it work?

@l0uch3, It seems like your EFI system partition is corrupt. You will need to repair it with dosfsck in linux or chkdsk in windows. Another solution is to create another EFI partition, mount it at /boot/efi and run that command again. You can create the EFI partition after shrinking an existing partition, and use gdisk to create the new one (size = 200MB).

If you have not meddled with the existing EFI partition, then yes, you should be able to boot back into Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by nehaljwani View Post
    @l0uch3, It seems like your EFI system partition is corrupt. You will need to repair it with dosfsck in linux or chkdsk in windows. Another solution is to create another EFI partition, mount it at /boot/efi and run that command again. You can create the EFI partition after shrinking an existing partition, and use gdisk to create the new one (size = 200MB).

If you have not meddled with the existing EFI partition, then yes, you should be able to boot back into Windows.
    Thank you for your quick response! I reviewed the steps that I took and figured that indeed nothing had affected my EFI partition, so I was able to boot fine into Windows 8 again, quite a relief.

Your second solution is one I found out about yesterday too, it however has another restriction according to the source I used; this 200MB partition has to be within the first 100Gb of the disk that houses the original EFI partition, this makes it difficult to resize a partitions to make space for the new EFI partition. If this is true, I prefer the first solution;

On a side note, can you explain how my EFI system partition would be corrupt while I can boot into Windows 8 fine?
    Going from the first solution; if I run chkdsk on windows (and fix my EFI, if there is any fixing to be done), I simply have to redo the steps of the tutorial from where systemrescue live was used?

Okay so, I answered your post before but I'm not sure if it's being moderated or I lost it somehow, here goes again;

Thank you for your quick response!

I booted fine back into windows 8 using UEFI, so I assume the EFI partition is fine; chkdsk came up clean and found nothing to fix, as for dosfsck I assume I have to run "dosfsck -a /dev/sda4" (4 is my EFI partition)? (I haven't tried dosfsck yet) But is there something wrong with the EFI partition in the first place if I can boot into windows 8 fine?

Secondly, I came accross something similar to your second solution however; the one I read had an extra restricition: the newly created EFI 200MB partition should be in FAT32 and reside within the first 100Gb of the disk that contains the original EFI partition. This makes it hard for an amateur like me to free up enough space for the new EFI partition without damaging windows recovery partitions etc.

On top of that, I have a Lenovo Flex2 preinstalled Win 8, meaning I have a ton of other partitions premade and no idea wether or not I can touch them to free up space for the new EFI partition.

@l0uch3,
    1) Well, you go through the UEFI specifications at http://www.uefi.org/specifications. I may have missed by accident, but I couldn't find anywhere a restriction (first 100GB or anything) on the location of the EFI System Partition(s).
    2) Since chkdsk hasn't reported anything, it seems that somehow your ESP (EFI System Partition) is locked, so that it can't be accessed directly for writing anything into it. Which is kinda strange, probably some protection from damaging boot files.
    3) I can help you with the commands inside Windows, to shrink an existing partition and create a 200MB EFI partition. Please go to run, type dismgmt.msc, and hit enter. Then share the output for the commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk 0
    list vol
    list par

output of the commands

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: EOS

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 238 GB 0 B *

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list vol

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 0 C Windows8_OS NTFS Partition 180 GB Healthy Boot
    Volume 1 D LENOVO NTFS Partition 25 GB Healthy
    Volume 2 WINRE_DRV NTFS Partition 1000 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 3 SYSTEM_DRV FAT32 Partition 260 MB Healthy System
    Volume 4 PBR_DRV NTFS Partition 14 GB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> list par

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Recovery 1000 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 System 260 MB 1001 MB
    Partition 3 OEM 1000 MB 1261 MB
    Partition 4 Reserved 128 MB 2261 MB
    Partition 5 Primary 180 GB 2389 MB
    Partition 8 Unknown 1907 MB 182 GB
    Partition 9 Unknown 14 GB 184 GB
    Partition 6 Primary 25 GB 198 GB
    Partition 7 Recovery 14 GB 223 GB

DISKPART>
    I also have diskmgmt.msc open, awaiting your following instructions (sadly it seems to take very long for my posts to be approved by moderators)

EasyUEFI.jpg

Okay, using a tool for windows called "EasyUEFI" I checked the entries that my UEFI boot had:
    turns out there is an old kali entry from a previous failed installation (from before I knew that kali install didn't work in UEFI, so I followed the standard install which didn't work but added an entry to UEFI boot anyway).
    The file path for this EFI is exactly the same (of course) as the one I failed to access in systemrescue live,
    this seems to be the source of my problems. Would deleting the kali entry solve the "Input/Output" issue when attempting to grub-install from systemrescue? Or would it just delete the entry and leave the files...

So, try this:
    1) Delete that Kali entry, make sure secure boot it turned off in BIOS settings, and try to do that grub-install command again.
    If that doesn't work:
    2) Open an elevated command prompt in Windows and type:
    diskpart
    sel disk 0
    sel par 5
    shrink desired = 200 minimum = 200
    create par efi
    format fs = fat32
    exit
    Reboot using SystemRescueDisk (in UEFI Mode), mount kali installation to /mnt, mount the extra directories as shown in the post, mount this newly created 200MB partition to /mnt/boot/efi , and then chroot, and try the grub-install command again.

So, try this:
    1) Delete that Kali entry, make sure secure boot it turned off in BIOS settings, and try to do that grub-install command again.
    If that doesn't work:
    2) Open an elevated command prompt in Windows and type:
    diskpart
    sel disk 0
    sel par 5
    shrink desired = 200 minimum = 200
    create par efi
    format fs = fat32
    exit
    Reboot using SystemRescueDisk (in UEFI Mode), mount kali installation to /mnt, mount the extra directories as shown in the post, mount this newly created 200MB partition to /mnt/boot/efi , and then chroot, and try the grub-install command again.
    Sorry for the very late response.

But I confirm that the second option worked, I now have a working dual boot Kali win8 installation.
    So for those who face the same issue as me and grub fails to install, here's your answer!

Step 5 doesn't work for me. I downloaded the latest version of System Rescue Disk and when i try to boot from my usb as UEFI the list pops up i choose Grapical Envi and then the screen is black like forever. I tried the exact same only booted from usb in BIOS mode and then i choose Graphical Envi and it goes as showed in the video, but should i really do it from BIOS boot ? or should i choose to do this another way ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanyru View Post
    Step 5 doesn't work for me. I downloaded the latest version of System Rescue Disk and when i try to boot from my usb as UEFI the list pops up i choose Grapical Envi and then the screen is black like forever. I tried the exact same only booted from usb in BIOS mode and then i choose Graphical Envi and it goes as showed in the video, but should i really do it from BIOS boot ? or should i choose to do this another way ?
    You have to boot the system rescue disk in UEFI mode. Otherwise the boot entry cannot be added. Also, graphical environment is not necessary. You can also choose the 4th option: "64bit, disable Kernel-Mode-Settings" adn type the commands in the shell directly after that.

You have to boot the system rescue disk in UEFI mode. Otherwise the boot entry cannot be added. Also, graphical environment is not necessary. You can also choose the 4th option: "64bit, disable Kernel-Mode-Settings" adn type the commands in the shell directly after that.
    First of all, thanks for your reply

I encounter the exact same problem with that option too, the screen just goes black and it does absolutely nothing for like 10 minutes that i've waited...
    So i thought i should try this through kali live and i did this:

sudo fdisk -l
    mount /dev/sda# /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    grub-mkconfig -o boot/grub/grub.cfg
    And it finds a background image, linux image, initrd image, but it wont find windows 8.1 while on the video tutorial i was watching it would find his windows 7 as well there...
    so i dont get it really, is it supposed to be so complicated ?
    Is there anything else i can try ?

First of all, thanks for your reply

I encounter the exact same problem with that option too, the screen just goes black and it does absolutely nothing for like 10 minutes that i've waited...
    So i thought i should try this through kali live and i did this:

And it finds a background image, linux image, initrd image, but it wont find windows 8.1 while on the video tutorial i was watching it would find his windows 7 as well there...
    so i dont get it really, is it supposed to be so complicated ?
    Is there anything else i can try ?
    Did you boot Kali Live in UEFI mode? Are you able to boot into Kali now? If yes, then run the grub-mkconfig -o boot/grub/grub.cfg command from inside the installed kali.

Did you boot Kali Live in UEFI mode? Are you able to boot into Kali now? If yes, then run the grub-mkconfig -o boot/grub/grub.cfg command from inside the installed kali.
    Turns out i installed linux in BIOS mode instead of UEFI, i just noticed there are 4 boot options on my boot menu. 1] Windows boot manager, 2] UEFI: USB, 3] DVD, 4] USB.
    I installed linux in the 4th option USB, and i guess that this is not the right option ? Well, i formated and deleted the linux and swap partitions, but when i try to choose UEFI: USB option to install linux, it boots my already installed windows 8.1 directly. Is there a reason its not working ? cause right after i saw this happen i restarted and tried again to boot from option 4 which was successful and saw the linux installation options.

My laptop is K55DR model a8 APU, i used Rufus to make the amd64 kali linux iso bootable. Legacy mode is enabled for usb, since without it my laptop couldn't detect my usb as a boot device.

-As explained, with option 4, yes i could boot into kali live and open a terminal, but again, linux wouldn't have been installed in UEFI mode.
    Last edited by Lanyru; 2015-12-24 at 03:46. Reason: Extra info

Turns out i installed linux in BIOS mode instead of UEFI, i just noticed there are 4 boot options on my boot menu. 1] Windows boot manager, 2] UEFI: USB, 3] DVD, 4] USB.
    I installed linux in the 4th option USB, and i guess that this is not the right option ? Well, i formated and deleted the linux and swap partitions, but when i try to choose UEFI: USB option to install linux, it boots my already installed windows 8.1 directly. Is there a reason its not working ? cause right after i saw this happen i restarted and tried again to boot from option 4 which was successful and saw the linux installation options.

My laptop is K55DR model a8 APU, i used Rufus to make the amd64 kali linux iso bootable. Legacy mode is enabled for usb, since without it my laptop couldn't detect my usb as a boot device.

-As explained, with option 4, yes i could boot into kali live and open a terminal, but again, linux wouldn't have been installed in UEFI mode.

As I have shown in the video, you *have* to install Kali Linux in *Legacy Mode*, boot the system rescue disk in *UEFI* mode, and then convert Kali Installation into UEFI mode, by setting up grub properly.

As I have shown in the video, you *have* to install Kali Linux in *Legacy Mode*, boot the system rescue disk in *UEFI* mode, and then convert Kali Installation into UEFI mode, by setting up grub properly.
    Yes but, as i said...

...My laptop is K55DR model a8 APU, i used Rufus to make the amd64 kali linux iso bootable. Legacy mode is enabled for usb, since without it my laptop couldn't detect my usb as a boot device.
    Meaning, when Legacy mode is off, my usb is NOT one of the options in the boot menu (Boot menu : 1] Windows boot manager, 2] DVD). If that's the problem, how can i fix this ?
    Also, when making the usb bootable with Rufus, there are 3 options. 1] MBR - Bios or UEFI-CSM, 2] MBR - UEFI, 3] GPT - UEFI , i used the 1 option since the other 2 would give me an error.
    Last edited by Lanyru; 2015-12-24 at 14:32.

Meaning, when Legacy mode is off, my usb is NOT one of the options in the boot menu (Boot menu : 1] Windows boot manager, 2] DVD). If that's the problem, how can i fix this ?
    Also, when making the usb bootable with Rufus, there are 3 options. 1] MBR - Bios or UEFI-CSM, 2] MBR - UEFI, 3] GPT - UEFI , i used the 1 option since the other 2 would give me an error.
    While using Rufus, use MBR-BIOS.
    Kali Linux Bootable has to be booted and installed when UEFI is off. Then, you follow https://vimeo.com/137686117 to create a bootable media for System Rescue Disk, and then boot it in UEFI mode.

While using Rufus, use MBR-BIOS.
    Kali Linux Bootable has to be booted and installed when UEFI is off. Then, you follow https://vimeo.com/137686117 to create a bootable media for System Rescue Disk, and then boot it in UEFI mode.
    Ok so, you're suggesting that i should install linux when Legacy is enabled, then make a sysrescued bootable, disable Legacy mode and it should find my usb as one of boot devices and work ?

Ok so, you're suggesting that i should install linux when Legacy is enabled, then make a sysrescued bootable, disable Legacy mode and it should find my usb as one of boot devices and work ?
    (i) Enable Legacy, install Kali in Legacy Mode. (Skip grub setup as shown in the video)
    (ii) Disable Legacy, boot System Rescue Disk. (Do that command line stuff as shown in the video).

(i) Enable Legacy, install Kali in Legacy Mode. (Skip grub setup as shown in the video)
    (ii) Disable Legacy, boot System Rescue Disk. (Do that command line stuff as shown in the video).
    So, these are my bios options:

When i disable legacy mode for system rescue disk:

this happens, and i can't boot my usb anymore.

Im using the latest version of System Rescue Disk (4.6.1)
    While if Legacy mode is Enabled, my system recognises the usb as bootable:

So, i still can't get grub to work like that...

I need help

Hello guys ı am new in Kali and ı am looking for a backup program like Acronics for Kali CAN ANYONE HELP ME in this Pease

So, these are my bios options:

So, i still can't get grub to work like that...
    'Legacy USB' is umm... a bit different. You are getting confused. In the last image, you have to choose 'UEFI: KingstonDataTraveler 3.0PMAP'

'Legacy USB' is umm... a bit different. You are getting confused. In the last image, you have to choose 'UEFI: KingstonDataTraveler 3.0PMAP'
    Yes, but after choosing graphical install or the 4th option that u suggested is when my screen goes black and nothing happens. i've waited for that screen 10 minutes, is it supposed to be like this ?

Yes, but after choosing graphical install or the 4th option that u suggested is when my screen goes black and nothing happens. i've waited for that screen 10 minutes, is it supposed to be like this ?
    Did you try all options? Nothing is present on the screen? If none of the options work for you, then create a bootable media using Ubuntu Installation media. You can follow: https://vimeo.com/137620480 . The command line stuff remains same.

Did you try all options? Nothing is present on the screen? If none of the options work for you, then create a bootable media using Ubuntu Installation media. You can follow: https://vimeo.com/137620480 . The command line stuff remains same.
    None of the options work, what you do in this video is boot to ubuntu without installing, so, do i need to boot to kali live ?
    I can't get to boot anything in UEFI, not even kali, they all can only boot in CMS :/
    amd64 kali iso boots as it should in CMS but when i choose to boot it is UEFI: usb it goes directly to windows...
    I've also downloaded EasyBcd and then i start it in windows 8.1 and i get an error that im in efi mode and that would limit the program.
    Last edited by Lanyru; 2015-12-25 at 18:56.

None of the options work, what you do in this video is boot to ubuntu without installing, so, do i need to boot to kali live ?
    I can't get to boot anything in UEFI, not even kali, they all can only boot in CMS :/
    amd64 kali iso boots as it should in CMS but when i choose to boot it is UEFI: usb it goes directly to windows...
    I've also downloaded EasyBcd and then i start it in windows 8.1 and i get an error that im in efi mode and that would limit the program.
    You can boot into Ubuntu installation media in UEFI mode and opt to not install it. The first option does that for you. Then you can follow the rest of the steps as shown in the video. It is mandatory that you boot it in UEFI mode, other wise the commands won't work. Since Kali Live doesn't boot in UEFI mode, I either use System Rescue Disk, or Ubuntu Installation media.

could you please point me to the link i need to download the ubuntu iso ? i've trying a few days to make dual boot work and i wanna know for sure im doing this step right. This might be my last try afterall...

could you please point me to the link i need to download the ubuntu iso ? i've trying a few days to make dual boot work and i wanna know for sure im doing this step right. This might be my last try afterall...
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.10/ubu...ktop-amd64.iso

Latest Kali iso boots it UEFI fine! Just install it with network mirror and it will download the grub EFI files...

i used sudo -i cause terminal didnt have root access, and apt-get update gives me a few errors.
    W: failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/sana/InRelease unable to find expected entry 'cont,/binary-amd64/Packages' in release file (wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
    E: some index files failed to download. they have been ignored or old ones used instead.

But it worked just fine, i have my grub menu now with both Kali GNU/Linux and Windows Boot Manager which i leafpad boot/grub/grub.cfg and renamed those names to the ones i like more
    Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Lanyru; 2016-03-07 at 01:10.

i use ubuntu

I have a problem

Step 8. Mount the Kali Linux partition to /mnt. Also mount (in bind mode) /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys
    Code:

i typed this and get following error :

sudo for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ; do mount -B $i /mnt/$i /mnt/$i ; done

bash: syntax error near unexpected token ´do'

??

edit :

i added a "SUDO" for all operations,

sudo for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ;sudo do mount -B $i /mnt/$i /mnt/$i ;sudo done

i get :

sudo : for : command not found
    sudo do: command not found
    sudo done: command not found

??
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-09 at 16:21.

You have to do either of these two in Ubuntu:

If you want to use sudo, then type:
    Code:
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ; do sudo mount -B $i  /mnt/$i ; done
    If you don't want to use sudo, then just type:
    Code:
    sudo su
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ; do mount -B $i  /mnt/$i ; done

i have following problem after i type those mount step in the rescue disc

okay it works running rescue disk

i get following error if i type the mounting step for i....

mount point /mnt//dev/pts does not exist

mount point /mnt// proc does not exist

mount point /mnt//sys does not exist

but my kali i installed, i see the partition

Quote Originally Posted by HaraldGer123 View Post

mount point /mnt//dev/pts does not exist

mount point /mnt// proc does not exist

mount point /mnt//sys does not exist
    Share output for the command:
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    Did you mount the correct partition to /mnt?

General: i followed all steps exactly. Boot UEFI with the rescue bootstick. here iam stucking now. Iam using a SSD with Win10 on it.

I also have a 64 bit OS. downloaded 64bit KALI ISO. and downloaded the rescue from the video in the tutorial.

i cannot go into the graphical user interface. my Screen is black and i have a prompt with:

root@sysresccd /root % _ ( here i can enter commands and followed with the commands i entered )

i entered follow commands in order :

Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
    Output:
    UEFI

Code:
     gdisk -l /dev/sda
    Output :

Number Start end size code name
    1 2048 534527 260.0MiB EF00 EFI System partition
    2 534528 186851327 88.8GiB 0700 Basic Data partition
    3 186851327 188622847 864.0MiB 2700
    4 188622848 198387711 4.7GiB 8200 (this is my swap )
    5 198387712 250068991 24,6 GiB 8300 ( This is my / directory ) (root)

if i continue the guide i did this :

Code:
    output :

mount: mount point /mnt//dev does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//dev/pts does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//proc does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//sys does not exist

Should i continue with this: ?

fdisk -l
    mount /dev/sda# /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    grub-mkconfig -o boot/grub/grub.cfg

?

If you can make it happen that it works, i give you a bag with good german beer! :-P

EDIT: i followed with this command
    Code:
     for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys ; do
         mkdir -p /mnt/$i
         mount -B $i /mnt/$i
    done
    and then i can enter
    Code:
    wihthout a problem

Now i stucking here

Step 11. Chroot into /mnt.
    Code:

Code:
    chroot /mnt "/bin/bash"
    my output is:

chroot: failed to run command 'bin/bash' : no such file or directory

If i searching :

find /mn -name bash

He just jumps in the next line like he couldnt find anything
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-19 at 11:26.

if i continue the guide i did this :

Code:
    output :

mount: mount point /mnt//dev does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//dev/pts does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//proc does not exist
    mount: mount point /mnt//sys does not exist
    You need to type...
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
    ...before the for loop

thank you!! yes i can chroot.

Okay at the moment i dont have internet connection. Is it possible to turn off the system, and repeat the last steps

Step 12. Add sana repository, using the command: echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:

echo deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

Step 13. Update apt-get.
    Code:

apt-get update

Step 14. Install grub-efi package.
    Code:

apt-get install -y grub-efi

Step 15. Setup grub.
    Code:

grub-install /dev/sda

Step 16. Reboot, boot into Kali, and run the following again:
    Code:

to get it work?

I guess i need internet connection for complete this right? because of apt-get
    Or do i need to follow all Steps again from the booting in rescue .
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-19 at 13:18.

If you have already done Step12, then you don't need to do it again on reboot. And yes, you need a working internet connection. If, even after having internet connection you get the error: "Unable to resolve http.kali.org", then type: echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf and try again.
    Last edited by nehaljwani; 2016-01-19 at 13:42.

nehaljwani you are my angel.

I try it at home and then i send you German Beer :-)

Hey!

So after all i can boot kali linux, coming to the grub-menü.

in my bootmanager i can select:

UEFI Boot Order
    -> OS boot manager
    -> Kali (Samsung....)
    -> Windows Boot Manager(Samsung....)

i choose Kali on top.
    If kali boots, i cannot select Windows 10
    Just kali and a advanced mode.

If kali boots now, i get millions of Lines starting from[ 00.xxxx]

Nouveau EI Pbus......

[ 22.xxxxxx] nouveau E [ PFIF0] [ 0000:01:00.0] FB_Flush_timeout

Whats that now? Nouveau = something with graphic card ?
    How can it be so complicated to install argggg :-)

i read something with bumblebee or something like that, can anyone give me advice how i should follow now?

my GPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Prozessor
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M Grafikkarte

i also found this :

Re: [Solved] Nouveau error spam on boot

I think I solved the problem by adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel parameters. The error messages at boot are gone, and I can execute lspci without my laptop crashing.

Re: [Solved] Nouveau error spam on boot

Thank you so much, R13N!!! I've been going crazy trying to figure out why Arch won't boot and hangs on lspci with nouveau errors. Adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel parameters solved my error too.

Should i test this? How do i add it directly to the kernel parameter?
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-20 at 10:56.

Should i test this? How do i add it directly to the kernel parameter?
    When you select Kali, you will be presented with a grub menu. Press 'e' to edit and and then add nouveau.modeset=0 after 'ro quiet' and then press ctrl+x to boot.
    Last edited by nehaljwani; 2016-01-20 at 17:57.

It fucking works, i cant believe it !!!! ))))) yeah this command with nouv set 0 solve the problem.
    Can you explain maybe in detail just for interest why this error appeared and why this command solve it? ( Okay sounds like you turn it off because of the "0" ).

I have one thing left
    If i update "apt-get update" i get this

The repository 'http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    W: The repository 'http://http.kali.org/kali kali Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...amd64/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...armel/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...armhf/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-securi...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...amd64/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...armel/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...armhf/Packages 404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I guess my source.list or something like that is wrong. I copied from a thread the "original" repositories but this error comes all the time.

EDIT: I asking myself where i can change the grub entries so that he displays the name in the grub menu i want. Iam a bit scared to write in the grub.cfg after all this. Is there a easy possibility?
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-21 at 08:35.

Make sure the sources.list file contains only this:
    Code:
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security sana/updates main contrib non-free
    # For source package access, uncomment the following line
    # deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib
    # deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security sana/updates main contrib non-free
    Edit the /etc/default/grub file and add 'nouveau.modeset=0' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line and then run update-grub2. Then reboot.

Works like a charm.
    Is it possible to change or rename the Entries which are displayed in the Grub-Menu @ booting? Or is this a bit complicated? otherwise i would drop it.

Is it possible to change or rename the Entries which are displayed in the Grub-Menu @ booting? Or is this a bit complicated?
    You can edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg after it has been generated.

Thank you very much !! I know it sounds strange, but is it also possible to change the background picture of the kali menu? I dont like it because you barely can read the options.

EDIT:

My Grub cfg looks like this :

Code:
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
       set default="${next_entry}"
       set next_entry=
       save_env next_entry
       set boot_once=true
    else
       set default="0"
    fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
      menuentry_id_option="--id"
    else
      menuentry_id_option=""
    fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }
    function load_video {
      if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
        insmod all_video
      else
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod ieee1275_fb
        insmod vbe
        insmod vga
        insmod video_bochs
        insmod video_cirrus
      fi
    }

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
       font=unicode
    else
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,gpt5'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt5  ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e
    fi
        font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
    fi

if loadfont $font ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
      set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
      set lang=en_US
      insmod gettext
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
      set timeout=30
    else
      if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
        set timeout_style=menu
        set timeout=5
      # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
      # unavailable.
      else
        set timeout=5
      fi
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,gpt5'
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt5  ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e
    else
    fi
    insmod png
    if background_image /usr/share/images/desktop-base/kali-grub.png; then
      set color_normal=white/black
      set color_highlight=black/white
    else
      set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
      set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    function gfxmode {
    	set gfxpayload="${1}"
    }
    set linux_gfx_mode=
    export linux_gfx_mode
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    	load_video
    	insmod gzio
    	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd0,gpt5'
    	else
    	fi
    	echo	'Loading Linux 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 ...'
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e ro nouveau.modeset=0 quiet
    	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.3.0-kali1-amd64
    }
    submenu 'Advanced options for Kali GNU/Linux' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    	menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.3.0-kali1-amd64' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.3.0-kali1-amd64-advanced-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_gpt
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,gpt5'
    		else
    		fi
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e ro nouveau.modeset=0 quiet
    	}
    	menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.3.0-kali1-amd64-recovery-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_gpt
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,gpt5'
    		else
    		fi
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e ro single nouveau.modeset=0
    	}
    	menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.0.0-kali1-amd64-advanced-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_gpt
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,gpt5'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64 ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.0.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e ro nouveau.modeset=0 quiet
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.0.0-kali1-amd64
    	}
    	menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-4.0.0-kali1-amd64-recovery-ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e' {
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_gpt
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,gpt5'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64 ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-4.0.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=ebf56086-a05f-4eea-afb5-96378220f62e ro single nouveau.modeset=0
    		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-4.0.0-kali1-amd64
    	}
    }

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-786F-D745' {
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod fat
    	set root='hd0,gpt1'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt1  786F-D745
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 786F-D745
    	fi
    	chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    menuentry 'System setup' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
    	fwsetup
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
      source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
    elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

Are these the options i have to edit?

menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)'
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64'
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)
    submenu 'Advanced options for Kali GNU/Linux'
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux'
    menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda1)*

I guess thats right, but why are there so many "kali gnu linux with linux" entries?

for example these
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)
    menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.0.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)'
    Last edited by HaraldGer123; 2016-01-22 at 07:50.

thank you for your help