Thread: Kali 2.0 - Dual boot on Macbook Pro Retina 2015

Angry Kali 2.0 - Dual boot on Macbook Pro Retina 2015

Hi guys. I just passed the entire day trying to install kali 2.0 on a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 (64 bits), bought yesterday. And I failed.
    I'm kinda pissed off right now, and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I followed like 15 threads on different websites.
    • - First, I downloaded the ISO file from the official website (64 bits); following this tuto http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...n-mac-hardware
    • - Checksum was OK
    • - I burned the ISO on a DVD, old school way
    • - I installed rEFInd on my MBP
    • - I plugged my external drive disk, and reboot, pressing OPTION
    • - I saw Macintosh HD and a CD icon, nammed EFI boot
    • - I didnt succeed to get anything else but a black screens, forcing me to hard reboot

Then:
    • - First, I downloaded ONE MORE TIME the ISO file from the official website (64 bits)
    • - Checksum was still OK
    • - I burned the ISO on a USB stick; following this tuto http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install with Win32 Disk Imager
    • - I plugged my USB stick, and reboot, pressing OPTION
    • - I saw Macintosh HD and a USB icon, named EFI boot
    • - I didn't succeed to get anything else but a black screens, forcing me to hard reboot BUT SOMETIMES I got the little "very small freezing menu in the top left corner"

Then:
    • - I read this thread https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ghlight=retina
    • - I burn another USB stick, putting Ubuntu on it, plugged both, boot, and so on. Same problem. But ubuntu was bootable and I could have installed it.
    • - I even tried to switch both USB stick, in case the first one with Kali wasnt working great; but same thing : Ubuntu bootable, not kali
    • - I also tried different versions of rEFInd, 0.8.3; 0.8.4; 0.9.0; and even with the --notesp option. Still the same

ONCE, I managed to get the very small menu in the top left corner AND it was not frozen ! I chose "Live", and managed somehow to got the Kali live version, and I succeeded in GParted-ing my computer. Yay !

But eversince, no matter hard I tried, even if sometimes I succeed to got the little menu NOT freezing, "Install" or "Graphic Install" both makes a black screen, froze, forcing me to hard reboot.
    I'm tired, and I desperately need help. I'm an 28 years old IT guy by profession, and I can't understand why I'm stuck like that.

There seems to be some bugs on Kali 2.0 install, no ? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for reading, help me & I will cook you homemades cookies.
    (sorry for my bad english)

Hi guy! I follow all of your linked topic and have the same results... If anyone can help us I will... no, I'm not a good cook

sorry for my bad english too.

UPDATE : I have the same laptop : MAcbook Pro Retina 13" early 2015 with El Capitan.

I made :
    1. Install refind 0.9 unzipping the zip and launching the refind install file.
    2. Download Mac Linux USB Loader
    3. Download kali iso
    4. Erase USB Stick with FAT file system option
    5. Install Kali on USB stick with Mac Linux USB Loader (2min)
    6.Unplug USB Stick
    7.Launch the machine with Alt Option
    8. Not seeing "windows", this page say so it's not working on your machine (i want to fix refind to permit a refind boot with no external hardware plugged)
    9. Plugged USB stick
    10. Seeing EFI volume, and clicked on it
    11. Seeing Options : 1)Launch Live Kali 2) Load Boot kernel option and clicking Kali Live
    12. Now on Kali live, i have access internet, the trackpad, all working great instead :

-I have no access to "graphic install" option : only kali live launch

What i want to do :
    -Fix refind
    or /
    -Find graphic install option, to try to install with the informations on this page

Problematics :

-How to make refind works without usb stick to follow the information on this page
    -How to access the kali install menu while launching kali on a live usb stick

I will update any solutions i found, i think one option would be to find an other linux distro and install it, after that all should be easier from linux. I will first try to partition my hard drive with kali live and try to put a live kali installer on it and boot on it, should be the easiest.

Please put any informations to dual boot kali linux on Macbook Pro Retina 13" early 2015 here

Update 1 : After trying to install refind with Kali Live on USB ******mysterious******** refind boot menu will show (even without the usb stick), but then, i got the "error while loading legacy loader" error

Update 2 : Then, now that refind works, i made a partition for kali on macbook internal drive; i setup kali image on it :

1) hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o /path/kali.img /path/kali-linux-2016.1-amd64.iso
    2) diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk0s4
    3) sudo dd if=/path/kali.dmg of=/dev/rdisk0s4 bs=1m

After that, i was able to see in refind a boot option for a volume with what seems a MacOS generated name for the partition i first made to setup kali on it.
    When launching, i got the "error while loading legacy loader" error. This need to be fixed. I guess some EFI files are missing in the kali iso? i should want to add the Apple firmware folder to the ESP/EFI folder in the kali iso, but can't access to this volume while being on MacOS.

I'm completly n00b to linux. If somebody can give me some steps to fix this error while being on kali live usb, would be usefull.

What Mean the error "error while loading legacy loader" ? What could fix it ?

Update 3 : worked version successfully setup on the machine. i use a refind usb version to launch, but should be able to setup refind on efi too. some modifications are needed in the efi kali setup to make it work, see the cfg sti files on others posts.
    Last edited by mach; 2016-05-04 at 15:57.

Please tell me you figured this out. I burned the kali.iso to my USB from the Mac terminal as it says in the kali website tutorial and every time I get a frozen tiny boot menu at the top left hand corner. What id you do to fix this!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wk_ View Post
    Hi guys. I just passed the entire day trying to install kali 2.0 on a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 (64 bits), bought yesterday. And I failed.
    I'm kinda pissed off right now, and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I followed like 15 threads on different websites.
    • - First, I downloaded the ISO file from the official website (64 bits); following this tuto http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...n-mac-hardware
    • - Checksum was OK
    • - I burned the ISO on a DVD, old school way
    • - I installed rEFInd on my MBP
    • - I plugged my external drive disk, and reboot, pressing OPTION
    • - I saw Macintosh HD and a CD icon, nammed EFI boot
    • - I didnt succeed to get anything else but a black screens, forcing me to hard reboot

Then:
    • - First, I downloaded ONE MORE TIME the ISO file from the official website (64 bits)
    • - Checksum was still OK
    • - I burned the ISO on a USB stick; following this tuto http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install with Win32 Disk Imager
    • - I plugged my USB stick, and reboot, pressing OPTION
    • - I saw Macintosh HD and a USB icon, named EFI boot
    • - I didn't succeed to get anything else but a black screens, forcing me to hard reboot BUT SOMETIMES I got the little "very small freezing menu in the top left corner"

Then:
    • - I read this thread https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ghlight=retina
    • - I burn another USB stick, putting Ubuntu on it, plugged both, boot, and so on. Same problem. But ubuntu was bootable and I could have installed it.
    • - I even tried to switch both USB stick, in case the first one with Kali wasnt working great; but same thing : Ubuntu bootable, not kali
    • - I also tried different versions of rEFInd, 0.8.3; 0.8.4; 0.9.0; and even with the --notesp option. Still the same

ONCE, I managed to get the very small menu in the top left corner AND it was not frozen ! I chose "Live", and managed somehow to got the Kali live version, and I succeeded in GParted-ing my computer. Yay !

But eversince, no matter hard I tried, even if sometimes I succeed to got the little menu NOT freezing, "Install" or "Graphic Install" both makes a black screen, froze, forcing me to hard reboot.
    I'm tired, and I desperately need help. I'm an 28 years old IT guy by profession, and I can't understand why I'm stuck like that.

There seems to be some bugs on Kali 2.0 install, no ? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for reading, help me & I will cook you homemades cookies.
    (sorry for my bad english)

Quote Originally Posted by firstnamegreat View Post
    Please tell me you figured this out. I burned the kali.iso to my USB from the Mac terminal as it says in the kali website tutorial and every time I get a frozen tiny boot menu at the top left hand corner. What id you do to fix this!
    This is exactly what's happening to me! Did you ever figure it out?

Do not for get to disable sip on the mac. (system integrity protection)