Thread: airmon-ng / airodump-ng No Results (2014 macbook air, virtualbox)

Unhappy airmon-ng / airodump-ng No Results (2014 macbook air, virtualbox)

Hi guys,

Would love some help on this one if possible as it's driving me mad.

Firstly — I was getting no results under airmon-ng when trying to find my MBA's airport.

After that I got some results, but am wondering now if it's actually finding my airport or if I've done the right thing at all.

Secondly — After that point I was able to progress to running an airodump-ng, but have gotten zero results.

Yes, I have internet access within Kali Linux (bridging to my Airport in VB settings), as I'm using Iceweasel fine.
    Yes, my Airport is on and *not* connected to a network

Any help greatly appreciated, and if easier I'd gladly pay something modest to one of you via PayPal for some remote assistance / troubleshooting...

Thank you very much
    Last edited by rAWjAW; 2015-08-30 at 20:27. Reason: removed link

Virtualization software does not have direct access to your hardware, you will need a USB wireless adapter for wireless internet, or you could boot a live USB or dual boot your machine.

Thanks for that info. I know you can do it those two ways, however I thought you could also use virtualisation and onboard hardware.

If I invest in one of the two options you've mentioned I suppose I should buy a USB wireless adapter, as that way I'm probably also increasing my range etc?

Do you recommend any particular model(s) or does it not matter much?

Thanks so much for your help!

The most popular and most supported wireless card for this particular usage is the Alfa AWUS036H. It is very well supported in Linux for packet injection, but keep in mind that if you plan to use it for other stuff streaming, downloading, it is only wireless G. Also keep in mind that there are many fake sellers that sell ripoff or counterfeit versions. Ive bought mine from a few different sellers, if you trust me you can buy one here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Alfa-Net...item19c8a5b4d0
    Rokland is very reputable, I can vouch for them. If you decide not to buy one from there, be warned that you may end up with a fake.