Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

How to EFI install Kali Linux

The Kali iso does not support being used as a EFI bootable source out of the box. This is easily fixed.
    1) Create a bootable USB thumb drive of Kali using the directions at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install
    2) On the thumb drive create the following folder structure /EFI/Boot
    3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    This is an EFI bootable version of GRUB 2.00 from Fedora.
    4) create a text file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot
    The contents are:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS
    #
    # Linux Grub
    # -------------------------
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #
    # root=UUID=dc08e5b0-e704-4573-b3f2-cfe41b73e62b persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz
    }

5) Reboot the computer and bring up the one time boot screen and select your usb thumb drive under the EFI section.
    You now have a usb thumb drive that can boot a BIOS and EFI system.

If you want to EFI install Kali to your computer then select the graphical or text install and continue as follows.
    6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit
    7) The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. The installer is even kind of enough to make your new Kali Linux installation the default boot source. If you are dual booting Windows 7 EFI, there will be no option for Windows 7 at the grub menu.
    To add a Windows 7 option to the menu do the following:
    Create the following file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add an entry like this:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    set root=(hd0,gpt1)
    chainloader /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    }
    You may have to change the set root line to reflect your system.
    By adding the menuentry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom the option will continue to remain on the menu even after you do a update-grub.

Have fun EFI booting your system!
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Hi, thanks for the guide. My problem is on step 2). I'd tried both live usb install (win32 disk...and dd) but still can't mount it with write perms. for creating the EFI folder. What am I missing? Thanks

Is the /EFI/Boot structure placed on the persistent partition? Because the first partition is an ISO9660 which is not writeable without rebuilding the ISO?

[redacted]
    Last edited by RustyLambda; 2015-11-04 at 03:58.

I used windows to create my live usb install. Once you use win32 disk imager to make the thumb drive you can create the folder before you reboot.

No /EFI/Boot is NOT on the persistent partition. EFI partitions must be the first primary partition on the drive. It MUST be formatted fat32. Then you can follow the above instructions. The EFI partition can be the same partition you write the iso files out using win32 disk imager. I have a 16GB flash drive partitioned liked this:
    /dev/sdc1 primary partition formatted fat32
    /dev/sdc2 primary partition formatted ext4

I used windows 7 diskpart to clean all of the data and partitions off the thumb drive. I then created the primary partition and sized to 4GB. I used win32 disk imager to write out the iso. I followed the above instructions to make it EFI bootable. I then EFI booted from the thumb drive. Once in Linux I created the second partition and formatted it ext4.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    No /EFI/Boot is NOT on the persistent partition. EFI partitions must be the first primary partition on the drive. It MUST be formatted fat32. Then you can follow the above instructions. The EFI partition can be the same partition you write the iso files out using win32 disk imager. I have a 16GB flash drive partitioned liked this:
    /dev/sdc1 primary partition formatted fat32
    /dev/sdc2 primary partition formatted ext4

I used windows 7 diskpart to clean all of the data and partitions off the thumb drive. I then created the primary partition and sized to 4GB. I used win32 disk imager to write out the iso. I followed the above instructions to make it EFI bootable. I then EFI booted from the thumb drive. Once in Linux I created the second partition and formatted it ext4.
    I tried this.

Open CMD as admin.
    diskpart
    select disk x
    clean
    create part pri size=4096
    format fs=fat32 quick
    exit

Verified I had a 4GB partition on the drive.

Then I used Win32 Disk Imager to image the fat32 partition.
    Once that was done, the 4GB partition was no longer accessible. I cannot access the files on that partition.

Hi Rusty,

Glad to see you here. If you run into problems you know where to come.

Joker,

Win32 Disk Imager did not work for me either. If you have access to a Linux box you can use the supported method of dd. If you don't you can use the UNSUPPORTED method of unetbootin. Just be sure to edit the syslinux.cfg like my other post says. I realize you are going to EFI boot the machine but fix syslinux.cfg just in case.

Following to How To from Kali's doc, I couldn't obtain a FAT32 Partition. Under Windows you can use Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/).

Just let's the setting by default, select Create a bootable disk using : iso (select the kali's iso) and Start.

It will format your USB disk and create one partition using all the space of your USB disk. You will have to resize the partition if you don't want to waste space and create a persistence partition.

Then you can jump to the step 2 of bofh28's How To.

BTW thanks to the How To ! It works perfectly with my MacBook Pro Retina.
    Last edited by _dGs_; 2013-03-29 at 05:18.

I used rufus as well to set the bootable disk and was able to then use bofh28's directions. I did have to add the additional items from bootx64.efi download (i.e. grubx64.efi and MokManager.efi) in order for it to work. However, after I chose the EFI boot device from my Macbook Pro and used the default Kali (non persistent) choice in grub I get to the next screen and it hangs at "Secure boot not enabled". Is this an issue with the grub.cfg or did I miss a step somewhere?

Sorry I don't have a Macbook to help.

Is there a way that a video tutorial can made to demonstrate this procedure? It'll be very helpful for some of use are visual learners...

The Kali iso does not support being used as a EFI bootable source out of the box. This is easily fixed.
    1) Create a bootable USB thumb drive of Kali using the directions at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install
    2) On the thumb drive create the following folder structure /EFI/Boot
    3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    This is an EFI bootable version of GRUB 2.00 from Fedora.
    4) create a text file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot
    The contents are:
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

set default=0

set root=(hd0,1)
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    }

5) Reboot the computer and bring up the one time boot screen and select your usb thumb drive under the EFI section.
    You now have a usb thumb drive that can boot a BIOS and EFI system.

If you want to EFI install Kali to your computer then select the graphical or text install and continue as follows.
    6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit
    7) The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. The installer is even kind of enough to make your new Kali Linux installation the default boot source. If you are dual booting Windows 7 EFI, there will be no option for Windows 7 at the grub menu.
    To add a Windows 7 option to the menu do the following:
    Create the following file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add an entry like this:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    set root=(hd0,gpt1)
    chainloader /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    }
    You may have to change the set root line to reflect your system.
    By adding the menuentry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom the option will continue to remain on the menu even after you do a update-grub.

Have fun EFI booting your system!
    What am I suppose to do with bootx64.efi? Am I suppose to put it in the /EFI/Boot? Or do you place it in root directory? Also, I am able to boot from the USB when I go into my computers BIOS and switch to legacy boot. However, when I go to create my /boot partition I don't have the option to create an EFI boot partition. I only have the option to create a normal Linux boot partition.

You have to put bootx64.efi in /EFI/Boot/

What are you using to create the partitions? If you are using the installer to create the partitions the problem might be you booted in BIOS mode. Try again in EFI mode. Also all you need is for the first primary partition be formatted fat32 for it work properly. If you want to get hypertechnical there is EFI system partition in the installer you can too.

i succed dual booting windows 7 64 bit and kli linux 64 bit under uefi mode... first u need universal usb installer latest version which u can find it here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    then on step 1 :select linux distribution "kali linux" step 2 : ur kali linux amd64.iso step 3 : select ur pendrive. u can tick the format: (ur pendrive letter), on step 4 u can set how many mb u want to use for presistence. let say kali linux amd64 use around 2.2 gb on u pendrive, then u have extra 1.8 gb space on ur 4 gb pendrive then u set it 1500mb on presistence (this is optional)... after all are complete click create.. then wait until its done.. after that u download bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ . open ur pendrive thats u create before for kali linux then make this folder EFI, open it and create Boot folder, now inside the Boot folder that we cut and paste that two files we download before bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi. after that create a text file named grub.cfg in the /EFI/Boot/ , copy and paste the content from #1 post from bofh28.save it.. after all are done then reboot ur computer and press esc during boot... select ur uefi: usb kali linux.. congrats u r now booting kali linux on uefi mode.. u can select graphical installation...during installation u have this network problem.something about network interface firmware is missing. dont worry all u need is ethernet cable.. connect ur internet using ethernet cable to ur router. after all r done on partition follow like what op said create "At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive".
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit" The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. when first u restart u computer there will be windows 7 at the grub menu.. but the windows 7 on the grub menu u will not able to boot it up. it will state "invalid : EFI file path.. start ur kali linux..ok open computer, then select file system.. in the file system go to etc folder, inside etc folder look for grub.d folder. select the grub.d folder, open file 40_custom using leafpad copy this and paste it.

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod chain
    set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
    chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }

save it. then open ur teminal update-grub. now when u reboot ur computer then u see "windows 7" entries on the grub.. select it when u want to boot widows 7.. its working now flawlessly... hope this will help someone here.. sorry for my bad english coz its not my language here. atleast u guys can understand... cheers...
    Last edited by chucky42; 2013-04-04 at 14:53.

Hello,
    This is not working for me (MSI GT60). I can boot in legacy mode (=bios) but Kali is buggy (looks like a window manager problem). When trying in UEFI with these instructions, first it told me "secure boot is not enabled" so I went to the bios setup (or whatever is its new name) to enable it. When I tried to boot Kali then, it told me that the kernel was not correctly signed. I'm not sure if I should build another iso with github instead of using the official one, especially since I'm not really fond of GNOME. Any advice ?

Seriously, this secure boot thing is really getting on my nerves... Thanks, microsoft.

Leave secure boot disabled in the bios. Enabling it will just cause you problems. I see secure boot is not enabled each time I boot into Kali it is normal.

Try disabling secure boot again and post any messages you see or describe what you are doing and what see/not see in detail.

Wow, you are fast, thank you !

When I leave secure boot disabled, I can see the GRUB boot screen with "kali - boot non persistent mode, Kali - boot persistent, Kali Failsafe, Kali forensics...".
    When I chose the first one (I tried them all, same result), I have this message :
    "Booting 'Kali - boot non persistent mode'
    Secure boot not enabled
    _"
    And nothing else. Any idea ?

Win32 Disk Imager did not work for me either. If you have access to a Linux box you can use the supported method of dd. If you don't you can use the UNSUPPORTED method of unetbootin. Just be sure to edit the syslinux.cfg like my other post says. I realize you are going to EFI boot the machine but fix syslinux.cfg just in case.
    On my macbook pro (2008, Santa Rosa), using the dd command exactly as shown on http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...ive-USB-on-MAC
    sudo dd if=kalilinux.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=512 conv=noerror,sync

does NOT result in a readable FAT partition. So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).

However, ignoring the "just in case", I went ahead and booted from USB, with the following result:

Code:
    rEFInd - Booting OS

Starting bootx64.efi
    Using load options ' '
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Error: Not Found returned from bootx64.efi

* Hit any key to continue *
    1) the first thing I noticed is that following the directions on this page results in /EFI/Boot/ - not /EFI/BOOT/ ... I am assuming that case sensitivity may be an issue
    2) i'm a little disturbed that the boot messages are using the windows backslash \EFI\BOOT\
    3) the file downloaded from 3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ is actually named BOOTX64.efi - not bootx64.efi as shown in the error message. I'm not sure that case sensitivity matters, since the error is apparently returned from bootx64.efi
    4) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi (rather, there is /EFI/Boot/grub.cfg)
    5) following the instructions here does not result in the creation of a file \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi

This seems nitpicky, I know, but the devil is in the details. A great start in resolving this would be a definitive 'translation' of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format to /syslinux.cfg format. There are major differences that the grub/grub2 newbie might not be able to parlay...

NOTE: I'm probably going to try the instructions at:
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

which shows
    Code:
    dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k
    (without the conv=noerror,sync) to see if that results in a readable FAT partition, obviating the need to deal with the problems above.

Try the following grub.cfg
    Make sure to replace --set=root and root=UUID= with the UUID for your system.
    The grub.cfg that comes didn't work for me so I made up the following.

Code:
    set default="1"
    set timeout=30

function load_video {
      insmod efi_gop
      insmod efi_uga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
      insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

menuentry "Kali 3.7 sdb2" {
      search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 556feb5a-aa31-4dc0-91ba-1fc416f045c6
      linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7-trunk-amd64 root=UUID=556feb5a-aa31-4dc0-91ba-1fc416f045c6
      initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7-trunk-amd64
    }

menuentry "Windows 7" {
      search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root AAFF-7523
      chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi 
    }

Quote Originally Posted by infomaniac View Post
    So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).
    OK. Is the fat32 partition the only partition on the drive? If not what is the partition layout?
    EFI files must reside on a fat32 partition and fat32 partitions are NOT case sensitive.

Syslinux is its own bootloader. Syslinux does not use grub.cfg. If you used unetbootin to create the thumb and boot in BIOS mode then you are booting using syslinux and not grub.

You can try the grub.cfg I just posted. Just don't don't ever run grub-update. Starting with grub2 the grub.cfg is actually generated by scripts. You can replace the script version with the one I posted but if you run grub-update it will be overwritten.

Hi thanks for guide.
    My problem is on step 2). I'd tried both live usb install (win32 disk...and dd) but still can't mount it with write perms.
    I encounter the same issues, someone have find a solution different than the windows way ?
    I've tried to boot directly on live usb (key alt) without write the /EFI/BOOT, but my usb isn't detected...

Regards,
    Hlx

EDIT:
    I've found a solution. I partitioned in two my USB on FAT32, once for kali iso the other for EFI.
    And after dd kali iso i can set /EFI/Boot/* files in second partition.
    It works until grub. When i arrive to grub menu, i have all choices. but when i select Kali Graphical Install or others it said:
    Code:
    error: unknown command 'linuxefi'.
    error: unknown command 'initrdefi'.
    I assume that is a problem between mac and grub and i search on google but don't find any answer...
    I continue to search and if someone have solution please end my pain

Notes: Macbook Pro late 2011 (8.1), Grub v1.99, KaliLinux i386.
    Last edited by Hlx; 2013-04-27 at 07:14.

I would like to install Kali on my system as a dual-boot alongside Windows 8, but I am leery about doing so, because an attempt to do that with BT5r3 borked my system so bad that I lost everything and had to reinstall Win7 and re-upgrade to Win8. Needless to say, I would like not to have to relive that nightmare, so here are my questions:

1. Looking at my laptop's drive in GParted, I have the following entries:

a. The EFI "partition"(?), which is listed as GPT;
    b. The hidden Win7 partition;
    c. The main partition that Win7 is installed on, labeled C: OS, and formatted as NTFS;
    d. And the final partition, labeled D: DATA, and also formatted as NTFS.

There's 170GB on the Data partition, which is where I intend to divvy up some space for Kali to go. Where will the bootloader be installed to, the EFI partition or the C: OS partition, and how would I go about doing that?

2. Finally, will this approach pass the Secure Boot smell test? The laptop I'm using is an Asus X75VD, and the most recent BIOS update hid all of the EFI/Secure Boot options from me, so I am assuming that Secure Boot is permanently engaged?

Right now I am booting Kali from an USB stick, but I would like to get away from that, because up until I got this laptop, I've always had Linux on my laptops in a dual-boot solution. It aggravates me that I can't do this with a lot of unnecessary drama.

Hey!
    Im having troubles installing a bootable Kali on my Asus K56C, of course equipped with efi bios. I can boot with a live USB but cant make a HDD install working. I cant get around the following:

"6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit"

I cannot find any option to partition a drive as EFI using the Kali Graphical install. Anyone succeeded in doing this?
    regards,
    xfiles

Same problem with Partition TYPE to EFI?

Quote Originally Posted by xfiles View Post
    Hey!
    Im having troubles installing a bootable Kali on my Asus K56C, of course equipped with efi bios. I can boot with a live USB but cant make a HDD install working. I cant get around the following:

"6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit"

I cannot find any option to partition a drive as EFI using the Kali Graphical install. Anyone succeeded in doing this?
    regards,
    xfiles

Hi !

I'm trying to install Kali to my macbook pro, but it seems to be hard to realize !
    I haven't found a way to install the EFI bootloader by the installer...
    I've made a partiton in FAT32 and then I've been able to boot from Mac Os X by putting Fedora bootloader, but after loading the vmlinuz and the initrd it wouldn't boot !
    I've installed the 32bits version, I'm now trying to install the 64bits version... I hope it will work !

I got Kali working on a macbook pro, hard disk install
    not sure if it's going to work for everyone, I put together some info crypto posted at top-hat-sec and bofh28 posted here, and came up with this...

1- create a FAT32 partition on the osx machine, a small one just to keed the /EFI/Boot/ files (a 5MB partition is more than enough for the FAT32. I assume you will also consider having a partition with free space available to install Kali. Use the Disk Utility for this step)
    2- inside the /EFI/Boot/ located on the newly created partition, put the files located on ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ (the fonts folder is not required, and we're going to update this grub.cfg file later, for now just copy the files)
    3- just to test if the partition is ready, restart your macbook and hold down the alt/option key (you should now see an "EFI Boot" option just beside your normal boot option, there's nothing to boot yet so just leave it for now)
    4- burn a Kali ISO to a DVD and install it to the partition you reserved on step 1 (if you run into some problems during the grub instalation, and you are not sure about which hd the grub should be... try /dev/sda/ or /dev/sdb/. The partition we're going to install Kali will not be recognised by default, so here's the workaround I figured)
    5- boot Kali from the DVD we used to install it. Once you boot from the DVD open Computer. Now take a look at the Devices list (there should be 3, your OSX, the FAT32 partition and your Kali) mount the one that says Filesystem (Kali). Once inside the Filesystem go to boot/grub/ and copy the grub.cfg file... now mount the FAT32 partition, go to EFI/Boot and paste the grub.cfg
    6- open the grub.cfg file with your favorite text editor > find the lines that say "linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.7..." > change the linux to linuxefi e initrd to initrdefi > the lines (there are 4 changes to make, 2 in each menuentry) should now look like "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7..."
    7- restart you macbook hold the alt/option and click the EFI Boot > grub will show options > boot it! =)

if you have some experience installing backtrack this will make sense... hope you guys can understand...

I'm running Securecore Tiano on my tablet PC, and I get
    Failure trying to run: chroot /target mount -t proc proc /proc
    . Doing an install of
    Debian Wheezy, I can install the system but it boots to a grub prompt rather than an OS-selection screen.

I've also tried installing the mini-iso, and I get
    failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-depends --install
    Alright, I got a little further after burning the amd64-mini.iso to a cd. Now the "select & install software" step fails at 90% without giving a reason. That's a problem I can deal with, however, I also get the error
    The grub-pc package failed to install into /target/.
    And now I still cannot boot.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2013-06-10 at 08:59. Reason: merged

If I can get the system to boot to a grub prompt, that is, a prompt that looks something like
    grub>
    what do I need to do to get grub to "see" debian/kali and Windows 7? For right now, I'm just trying to put debian/kali on my machine (without windows) and get it to boot, which is far more challenging than it should be.

Today I tried installing Ubuntu 13.04 and it will still only boot to
    grub rescue>
    UEFI sucks!

This is how it worked for me for a Dual-boot with a preinstalled EFI Windows 8 partition.

1) Created the USB image using unetbootin and manually adding the EFI/BOOT folder structure manually. No problem accessing the thumb drive with Win8. Inside the dir I copied the files from Steps 3 and 4 of the first post in this thread.

2) Reboot using the USB drive and select your favourite install mode.

3) During installation, I did not create an EFI partition because factory preinstalled Windows 8 already had it created. In the final steps grub2 was automatically instaled.

4) Login for first time. Update, upgrade and reboot (don't know if this last one is strictly neccesary). Worked like the charm for me.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite L850-1XK.

Hope it helps.

After screwing around with a grub rescue shell, I tried a re-install of Kali and both GRUB and LILO told me they "failed to install to /target/". However, I just rebooted the machine, LILO came up and performed some kind of data check on the BIOS, and it successfully booted up Kali. DONE! Now to see if I can dual boot this thing with Windows 7, I've never dual booted with LILO before.

I have an ASUS laptop that is set up as follows:

Screenshot from 2013-06-18 22_25_19_Resized.png

I want to carve out 80GB on the DATA partition , which is where I will install Kali Linux. Is it possible to do this just using the default options in the installer? I attempted to install Kali's predecessor Backtrack 5, and it totally borked my system. I am unable to make a backup, so I want to make sure I get this right the first time.

Oh, one last thing: Although the system has EFI, when I boot the persistent option from my USB stick, I get a message that says "Secure Boot Not Enabled." Will that cause me any issues during the install? Normally, I have never had issues installing Linux on the laptops I've owned, but then again, this is my first EFI-enabled laptop...

Hello, good job for this topic, really useful. In my case, i'm off on the step 7... the last. I use an Asus G55VW and we have to set manually in BIOS the path for booting.
    Basically, we have 2 HD (sda and sdb) and the BIOS see only the EFI partition on sda (created by vendor/microsoft).
    After executing your topic, I have 2 choices (between the EFI partition on sda and sdb), however, my partition EFI on sdb is empty. I created /EFI/Boot/ and paste Bootx64.efi + grub.cfg and set the BIOS path on /EFI/Boot, /EFI/Boot/Bootx64.efi and finally /EFI/Boot/grub.cfg but nothing worked.
    Any idead ? Thanks a lot

I've managed to boot into Kali Linux off the USB Thumb Drive on a Retina Macbook Pro, but how do you install it to the hard drive?

Where should GRUB be installed etc...

Lost and looking for advice. Built a kali KDE iso I know I need to boot from a fat32 partition to install but the max file size is 2GB & the filesystem.squashfs comes out to 2.5GB i'm trying to install on an XPS 13 with no DVD drive available any ideas how this can accomplished as far as setting up the partitions,booting and installing?

Ok, so I've been following this thread and trying to get my MacBook Pro 8,2 to work with a Live USB of Kali. I managed to make the drive bootable (by adding the /EFI/BOOT folder and a valid GRUB.cfg), however while booting Kali from GRUB I get an error related to the radeon graphics driver. Could someone help me troubleshoot if I have a problem with my grub.cfg? I've posted it along with the error below:
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

set default=0

set root=(hd1,1)
    }

set root=(hd1,1)
    }

set root=(hd1,1)
    }

set root=(hd1,1)
    }

set root=(hd1,1)
    }

set root=(hd1,1)
    }
    The error I get is this:
    fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver
    EDIT: I managed to get around the graphics error above by adding radeon.modeset=0 to the kernel line, but I still have issues with the b43 driver, IPv6, and getting GNOME to start. Blacklisting/disabling b43 and IPv6 seems to be ok for now, but GNOME still leaves me with just a blinking cursor and a blank screen.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by nikdaquik; 2013-07-11 at 15:13.

I loaded everything on and the selection window comes up, but when I choose a version (persistent or non) I get the message

error: unknown file system
    error: load kernel first
    How can I fix this?

please explain how to write and create the /EFI/Boot to a read only drive???

Hey guys I used Unetbootin to install kali because I could not use windisk32 imager and add the efi file. I added the efi file and tried to boot from the usb drive but I am getting an error that says it cannot boot from the device. I am using an hp m6-k015dx if that helps. Do I have to change the config file for this machine or my setup? FYI it's an x64 iso an efi file.

Edit: I am able to get into Grub GNU version 2.00 with a black screen that displays grub> but I don;t know what to do from there.
    Last edited by Surgikill; 2013-08-12 at 15:57.

Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance

Thank you guys for the information. I have successfully installed Kali onto my computer and now I have triple boot of Win8, Kali, and Ubuntu 12.04. But on kali I cannot get the brightness to work. Has anyone dealt with this problem yet? Thanks for the help guys been great.

I have tried creating the usb with the LiLi usb creator and I can still not get it to work. I also have secure boot disabled.

Great how to, thanks bohf28! I'm successfully dual-booted, but I had to download grubx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ for my flash drive to be recognized as an UEFI device.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    I got Kali working on a macbook pro, hard disk install
    not sure if it's going to work for everyone, I put together some info crypto posted at top-hat-sec and bofh28 posted here, and came up with this...

1- create a FAT32 partition on the osx machine, a small one just to keed the /EFI/Boot/ files (a 5MB partition is more than enough for the FAT32. I assume you will also consider having a partition with free space available to install Kali. Use the Disk Utility for this step)
    2- inside the /EFI/Boot/ located on the newly created partition, put the files located on ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ (the fonts folder is not required, and we're going to update this grub.cfg file later, for now just copy the files)
    3- just to test if the partition is ready, restart your macbook and hold down the alt/option key (you should now see an "EFI Boot" option just beside your normal boot option, there's nothing to boot yet so just leave it for now)
    4- burn a Kali ISO to a DVD and install it to the partition you reserved on step 1 (if you run into some problems during the grub instalation, and you are not sure about which hd the grub should be... try /dev/sda/ or /dev/sdb/. The partition we're going to install Kali will not be recognised by default, so here's the workaround I figured)
    5- boot Kali from the DVD we used to install it. Once you boot from the DVD open Computer. Now take a look at the Devices list (there should be 3, your OSX, the FAT32 partition and your Kali) mount the one that says Filesystem (Kali). Once inside the Filesystem go to boot/grub/ and copy the grub.cfg file... now mount the FAT32 partition, go to EFI/Boot and paste the grub.cfg
    6- open the grub.cfg file with your favorite text editor > find the lines that say "linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.7..." > change the linux to linuxefi e initrd to initrdefi > the lines (there are 4 changes to make, 2 in each menuentry) should now look like "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7..."
    7- restart you macbook hold the alt/option and click the EFI Boot > grub will show options > boot it! =)

if you have some experience installing backtrack this will make sense... hope you guys can understand...
    I hope you, or somebody else who understands all of this is still around to help.

I'm installing Kali on a 11' MacBook Air (Mid 2013). You say to partition out a small chunk (~5MB) for the /EFI/Boot/ files. Do I make this partition on my OS X hard drive? Running diskutil list shows me this:

~ ➜ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Danboard 250.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s4

This is a normal OS X installation, but I've put rEFInd on it. However other Mac computers seem to have the EFI partition too.
    So should I be making another one? Does it have to be in front of the regular OS X partition?

Humm I've experienced similar problems. I'm also trying to install on a MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (6,1). We're a rare breed.

Anyways, I started by trying to install BackTrack, then Kali, then BackBox.
    I had the most success with BackBox, you can see what I did here: https://forum.backbox.org/general-su...-1-(mid-2013)/

I got it booting from the HD, but wireless doesn't work, and I'd like to use Kali instead anyways. It's late so I'm off for now, but if you want look over what I did and see if it can help you out. I think a lot of this goes back to Ubuntu since that's what Kali is originally based off of (right?).

I'm going to revisit this tomorrow in a fresh light, but it's good to see somebody else has the same machine, and problem that I have. I'm sure we'll eventually be able to work it out! I've just taken to documenting everything I do when messing with the install. Just keep a note pad and pen nearby and jot down any notes I can. The more info the easier it'll be to solve it eventually

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeDerek View Post
    Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance
    I had the same issue while trying to install 32bit Kali on my laptop with a 64bit processor. 32bit EFI wasn't supported but it worked with the 64bit version of Kali.

Okay, This is the forum that I used to figure this out. This will work with any EFI boot system. It's for Kali-ONLY installation. I managed to boot Kali off my MacBook Pro in only 21 easy steps.

This is a very simple Step-by-Step instruction set.

This is for a Kali-ONLY install on a MacBook Pro. Though it should work with any EFI system. If you want to dual boot with OSX/Windows, then be very careful when you are using gparted to edit the partitions!!

Pay attention to the ****** !!!

1. Insert Kali DVD into Laptop and reboot.
    2. Press Option/Alt when the laptop is booting (before you hear the chime) keep it pressed until you see the boot drive selection screen show up.
    3. Select the DVD when it comes up. (the Label on mine said "Windows" because of the formatting.) The icon is a CD.
    4. Select "Live Boot" which is the first selection when grub starts.
    5. Go to Applications --> System Tools --> Administration --> GParted Partition Editor
    ******* Note: if you perform the below step you will erase EVERYTHING on your drive, you are warned*******
    6. Erase every partition on your HD until everything is listed as "unallocated space" under File System
    7. Click on the "Create a new Partition" to create a new partition.
    8. Make sure the partition type is FAT32
    9. Give your partition a name. I called mine EFI.
    9. Make sure you adjust the size of the partition. I used 400MB, but that is more than enough.
    10. Create the partition. You can click on the "check mark" icon. You should now just have 1 400MB partition that is on the drive.
    11. Exit out of GParted.
    12. Go to Places --> EFI (or whatever you named your partition)
    13. You should now have an empty window. Right-click and create a new folder named EFI. Go into that folder and create a New Folder named Boot.
    14. Copy all of the files (except for the Fonts folder) from here: ftp://mirrors.kernelhttps://forums.k...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ into the Boot folder.
    15. Reboot your computer. Put the Kali DVD back in the drive when it spits it out. Hold down option/alt again when you are booting up.
    ***** You should now see 2 devices on the boot options screen. 1 Drive that says EFI Boot and the DVD that says "windows" If you don't then you messed something up in the above steps.
    16. Boot into the Kali DVD. Select "Graphical Install" Go through your options until you get to the format disk section. Make sure you select "GUIDED - Use continous free space"
    ***** When you get to the Grub Boot Loader section, tell the Install to NOT INSTALL GRUB to your MBR. If you do you will overwrite the /dev/sda1 partion and you will have to start over*****
    17. Put the DVD back in after it installs Kali and hold down option/alt. Boot from the DVD Again.
    18. Go back to Live Boot. Take a look at your devices list. You should see 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 Kali. Mount the Kali partition and go to /boot/grub. Open the grub.cfg file and copy the contents.
    19. Open the FAT32 partition and go to /EFI/Boot. Open the grub.cfg file and replace it with the contents you copied in the above step.
    20. Edit the new file however you want (VI, nano, leafpad) find the lines that say: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.... and add "efi" to the end of linux. Do the same for the lines that say initrd.
    ***** You should have edited 4 lines. They should now say "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7...." and "initrdefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7....." without the quotes.
    21. Reboot. Remove the DVD. Hold Down option/alt and select EFI Boot as your boot drive. You should now boot into Kali.

Hope this helps. Thanks to albert on the forums for the information!

Few hours ago, I completed the Kali installation with Windows 8 Pre-installed in EUFI based system.
    The steps I followed were:

1. I used Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to install Kali ISO in USB Memory Stick.

2. Follow the Steps from #2 to #4 typed by bofh28 in first post.
    - Boot UEFI Files link: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/

3. In EUFI Setup set Secure Boot = Disabled
    4. In EUFI Setup set Boot Mode = UEFI Boot. The name of this value can be some different in others laptops.
    5. In EUFI Set USB as First Boot. Save Changes!

6. Restart your machine. It must appears the GNU GRUB version 2.00.
    7. (Optional) If you don't have HD partition to Linux Installation, you can use GParted to create this partition. It's a software included with Kali Live. If so, you can choice the option "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode". When Kali Live is up, go to Gparted and create the partition targeted to Kali. Restart your PC.
    8. Select "Install Graphic" in GNU GRUB Menu.

9. Follow the installation steps, but when you are in Disk Partition Step, you must be careful. Please, select "Manual Partition" option. Using "Guided - use the largest continuos free space", strangely doesn't recognize the UEFI partition. This option see it like fat32 and this is not good for us!
    10. Once you finish the partition part, if all it was set up fine, the installation process doesn't ask about EUFI partition. Yes, the EUFI partition used by Pre-Installed Windows 8 can be used in Linux too. Now, If you PC doesn't have Windows and you only want to use Kali, you MUST create the UEFI partition.
    11. Continue the Kali Installation, it must download and install GRUB at the end of installation.
    12. When finish the installation, remove the USB Memmory and Restart the machine.
    13. If all was good, you should see the GNU GRUB Menu, like this:
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content...D4-600x450.png

Note: If you have problem downloading the GRUB at the end of installation, check you Internet Connection. If the problem continue, connect your PC directly to ADSL o Cable Modem. Avoid Wireless Router or something like that.

HI,
    well from months myself looking around but couldn't solve my problem.my question is about penetration testing KALI LINUX its a normal linux like normal my point of view i just wanted to install kali linux into my external USB HDD so that i need i can boot from my external USB HDD ok remember i am not taking about live boot.i am OK with that.i just wanted to complete install like windows.the problem comes when i make live USB PEN_DRIVE to install into my EXTERNAL USB HDD everything goes perfect with successfully but when i restart my laptop n boot from my USB HDD FROM BIOS its gives me a GRUB RESCUE even i had try to repair my grub but fail than i had remove my laptop internal HARD DRIVE than make a try with USB HDD live Kali Linux to select into my external USB HDD same everything goes perfect with last final grub installation than i reinstall my main INTERNAL HDD into my laptop and connect my EXTERNAL USB HDD n from bios boot from USB HDD
    same problem GRUB RESCUE even i cant repair with same live kali linux so kindly help me out how to fix this problem i don't want to do DUAL boot just complete different .DO REPLY...