Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Thanks for all the info from this thread, I was able to dual-boot Kali with OS X 10.9 on a MB Air Mid 2011!!! If anyone needs some info, just ask.

Bofh28, need help doing this but it's for an old powerpc g4 433mhz that does not support usb booting, its got to be a pyshical cd or DVD to boot from is there a way to mod the iso its self then burn the image? Also if I can make a bootable ISO for the EFI system on CD, I am not wanting to run from cd all the time want to then install to hard disk only the kali os. Note at this time hard drive in mac is clean no os installed.

I tried this method, using kali live cd to add the /EFI/Boot to my Kali-usb, however when I reboot my PC with USB atachad, I can not see my USB in the EFI bootloader, only legacy... Any tips? Could someone prepare a EFI bootable .iso ? That would be great!.

I had Backtrack installed for awhile.
    Time for me to reformat my hard drive and install Kali!

Haven't installed it yet but I noticed a few things trying out the live USB using bofh28's guide on my Samsung ATIV. Kali's detected with the OS Mode Selection (BIOS) on "UEFI OS" and it boots but after several lines of messages I get a blank screen. Didn't get to the desktop, at all. Everything's fine if I set the OS Mode Selection on BIOS to "CSM and UEFI OS". Can anyone shed any light on this? Will this have any effect later when I install Kali?

---

Gave in and succeeded in installing Kali but same issue. Had to set "CSM and UEFI OS" on BIOS so I won't get a blank screen on boot.
    Last edited by hdcase; 2013-11-20 at 06:03. Reason: update

I'm having a lot of trouble with installing Kali alongside Windows 8 on a UEFI laptop. I've installed Win 8 as an EFI install.

My USB stick has been formatted to Fat32 and I've used unetbootin to make it a bootable kali drive. I've also followed the steps to add the /EFI/BOOT files.

I can boot into grub on the stick without any trouble and I see the boot options such as graphic install etc. But when I select any of the options including live boot, I get a message saying 'error: unknown filesystem' and 'error: you need to load the kernel first'.

I've tried changing the root from (hd0,1) to all the other options listed when I use the ls command in the grub command line. I get a different error when I change to (hd0,gpt2) which is 'error: file '/live/vmlinuz' not found' and 'error: you need to load the kernel first'. But the others just give the same unkown filesystem error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys.

First of all, thanks for the tutorial, alongside with some googling and other tutorials like "how to dual boot windows 7 and kali", "how to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu" (these were only combinations I could find, lol) I managed to get my laptop to UEFI dual boot windows 8.1 and kali.

On the way to success, I encountered lots of issues and spent whole day dealing with them and decided to share it here in case any of you have to deal with them.

To begin with, I took my usb 3.0 sandisk extreme 16 gig usb stick, formatted it to FAT32, downloaded kali x64. Installed the image using lili, no persistence. Used the disk management utility to shrink my kingston v300 120gig ssd with the win8.1 installation, shrunk it by 20 gigs or so. Downloaded all the grub files (to beginners: all, not only the single one) and placed it into the efi boot dir as said in this tutorial. Rebooted, tried legacy and uefi modes - legacy was fine, live mode with gui, everything was fine. uefi - I didn't even try booting into live, went straight to graphical install. partitioning - 500mb partition set as uefi boot, 16 gigs ext4 for /, rest of free space for swap. Installed with internet connection so the installer could get the needed stuff. Rebooted, but no gui - flashing cursor. I was new to linux so I kinda panicked and googled around - turned out I only had to press ctrl-alt-f1 to get to console login. Tried startx, got an error that it wasn't recognized... installed nvidia drivers (ATTENTION: this was the point where I probably screwed up), rebooted, installed xorg... now startx started throwing bizarre errors like no screens found/screens found but none have a usable config. Lots of trial-and-error, frustration, reboots... turned out all I needed was a fresh reinstall, also doing that I created a /home of 2 gigs, rebooted, startx not recognized, but after apt-get update and apt-get install xorg I ran startx and bam - I had the GUI. reboots now also opened it instantly. About the boot menu - somehow my windowos bootloader wasn't overwritten - by default I would still boot into windows, no prompts or anything, and all I have to do to go to linux is press f12 (I guess depends on your pc, I have acer v3-772, with nvidia and intel onboard graphics which, again, is another thing hard to deal with) and it opens boot menu with 2 options; windows and debian, i select debian, which opens up grub with options to boot to kali.
    That's how I got it working. I'll be glad to help if I can

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    7) The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. The installer is even kind of enough to make your new Kali Linux installation the default boot source.
    My laptop has no network card drivers in the current Kali by default, so the install cannot download the EFI enabled grub, and fails at that step.

I'm still trying to learn Linux, Kali is the only distro that keeps me interested enough... because it has practical use...

Any way to load that Grub into the Kali install before hand? or do I gotta try to load up Live Kali and install grub somehow that way?

Thanks
    Last edited by Krytical; 2013-12-30 at 22:16.

There should be an easy solution for keeping Secure Boot ON.
    Fedora and Linux Foundation are really tricky.

I spent my sleep trying to setup Fedora with Secure Boot ON, but I just got successive fails.

Allmost got it.

Quote Originally Posted by pauloferreira View Post
    There should be an easy solution for keeping Secure Boot ON.
    Fedora and Linux Foundation are really tricky.

I spent my sleep trying to setup Fedora with Secure Boot ON, but I just got successive fails.
    Now I have an error after GRUB. It's something about kernel signature.
    But, first I'll register here what I did to start EFI bootloader and "bypass" Secure Boot validation.

1. Make two thumb drives from ISO/IMG: (a) Linux Foundation Pre bootloader and (b) Kali Linux x64.
    (a) http://blog.hansenpartnership.com/li...stem-released/

2. Start the system using the thumb with the pre bootloader.
    Add hashes for Preloader.efi and HashTool.efi using the tool that will open. It's quite user friendly, you just select the file and confirm.
    Now I got Secure Boot to accept it.

Backing to a main computer or Windows ou a VM...

3. Merge these two into another thumb drive formatted FAT32.

4. Now it's needed to create EFI boot files like in the first post (I used all files from Fedora's folder), but with some changes.
    4.1 Delete /EFI/BOOT/loader.efi and /loader (created by the preloader IMG), it's the real bootloader that must be replaced.
    4.2 Copy Fedora's BOOTX64.efi as loader.efi as long as other files for grub (exactly as the fist post).

Now I got a mix of default Kali, Fedora EFI bootloader and Linux Foundation Pre bootloader.
    I a few words, pre bootloader is signed by MS and chain to loader.efi (our renamed Fedora) that initialize Kali.

Here comes my nightmare...
    5. Restart with EFI and Secure Boot ON reading the merged thumb drive.

GRUB opens the menu, but after selecting any option comes an error like this.

Empty security header
    error: /install/gtk/vmlinuz has invalid signature.
    error: you need to load the kernel first.
    Press any key to continue...

I've researched this error and also tried to modify grub.conf with my settings (root=UUID and /dev/something), but I'm stuck. This same error occurred when I followed just the fist post instructions and disabled Secure Boot. So I think it's not a problem with the pre bootloader.

Any ideas?

Now I tried to Enroll the Hash of Fedora's bootloader. However it gives an error on efitools hashing function.
    I got that, it's because Fedora 18 has a signed bootloader. Fedora's 17 works.

But... (i hate this word)
    Even after enrolling vmlinuz (I don't know if it is needed) I get the following error in Grub 1:

> kernel /live/vmlinuz
    invalid magic number: 2356
    Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

I am sorry but I can't help. I dual boot Windows 7 and Kali and Windows 7 doesn't support secure boot. While I love Windows 8.1 I can't stand the Metro interface and I will not install 8.1 at home. I use 8.1 at work with the classic shell app.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

I had a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive. Now I partitioned it to (a) the ISO image, (b) FAT32 for EFI, (c) EXT4 for Linux Persistence on the Live USB.
    Now I can start the Linux using Fedora 17 GRUB, but I can't get X running.

I made kali live with LiveLinux USB Creator and did all other steps as told in post#1 but when I boot it grub menu comes but when I select Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode and any other options it says :
    unknown file system
    Kernel should be loaded first.
    I also disabled secure boot.
    What should I do now?

Question Grub installation failed

I have successfully efi booted kali v1.0.6 on my Asus N550JV. But in installation procedure it can't install grub bootloader. I'm also connected to internet. I created these partitions manually when installing: fat32 , / , /boot , /home
    How can I solve this problem?
    Last edited by taherdi; 2014-02-11 at 13:39.

You may like to review the how-to I posted here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-encrypted-USB. Some of the problems you are having are related to the EFI boot process and the interactions with GRUB. If you follow the instructions at the above link carefully, you may find your problems are resolved with the added benefit of WDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lok_Sigma View Post
    You may like to review the how-to I posted here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-encrypted-USB. Some of the problems you are having are related to the EFI boot process and the interactions with GRUB. If you follow the instructions at the above link carefully, you may find your problems are resolved with the added benefit of WDE.
    Yes, EXTREMELY carefully. I think that your instructions, although incredibly thorough, applicable, and above all useful they may be a little too advanced, judging by the volume of "Man! Me, too!" posts. I'm not trying to sound harsh or anything, I just read so many of, "MacBook Pro checking in, same here!" posts that flooded the thread with nothing useful to report that when I figured it out, I felt insulted. It's almost as if the simplest solutions have been hidden on purpose.

As far as the EFI and its interaction with GRUB goes, this is what worked for me..

1) If you get to the GRUB menu, but get an error like, "file system not recognized," edit that boot option to say...
    2) Instead telling GRUB to read from (hd0,1), change it to (hd1,1)

I always remind myself that GRUB doesn't use the same "language" that we're all used to, being Linux users. I don't wanna seem preachy or anything, long day.. Anyway, I just think, "/dev/sda = (hd0,1), so if I'm using a USB to boot from, then /dev/sdb = (hd1,1)". I hope it helps someone else out there, and if this was actually proposed as a solution and I missed it, my bad.

Thank you for your replies. I solved the problem. Because GRUB boots from flash drive then it is the known as hd0,1. And if your hdd is gpt, file system error can be solved by changing hd0,1 to hd0,gpt1 or the boot partition.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    The Kali iso does not support being used as a EFI bootable source out of the box. This is easily fixed.
    1) Create a bootable USB thumb drive of Kali using the directions at http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install
    2) On the thumb drive create the following folder structure /EFI/Boot
    3) Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    This is an EFI bootable version of GRUB 2.00 from Fedora.
    4) create a text file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot
    The contents are:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS
    #
    # Linux Grub
    # -------------------------
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #
    # root=UUID=dc08e5b0-e704-4573-b3f2-cfe41b73e62b persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz
    }

5) Reboot the computer and bring up the one time boot screen and select your usb thumb drive under the EFI section.
    You now have a usb thumb drive that can boot a BIOS and EFI system.

If you want to EFI install Kali to your computer then select the graphical or text install and continue as follows.
    6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit
    7) The installer will download and install the EFI enabled GRUB at the end of the installation. The installer is even kind of enough to make your new Kali Linux installation the default boot source. If you are dual booting Windows 7 EFI, there will be no option for Windows 7 at the grub menu.
    To add a Windows 7 option to the menu do the following:
    Create the following file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add an entry like this:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    set root=(hd0,gpt1)
    chainloader /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    }
    You may have to change the set root line to reflect your system.
    By adding the menuentry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom the option will continue to remain on the menu even after you do a update-grub.

Have fun EFI booting your system!
    Thanks for this instal linux guide.

Quote Originally Posted by deus telum View Post
    Note: If you have problem downloading the GRUB at the end of installation, check you Internet Connection. If the problem continue, connect your PC directly to ADSL o Cable Modem. Avoid Wireless Router or something like that.
    Hello guys,
    I'm on Vaio Pro 13, and during installation it can't recognize wifi card (Intel Dual Band Wireless N-7260). The laptop has not the ethernet card so i need a live usb with pre-installed wifi drivers, but i don't know how to do it.
    I think that the drivers are these http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Thank you.

Clarification for Step 3

While the steps ultimately worked, there were two critical changes that did the trick for me.

When downloading BOOTX64.efi, you also need download 'grubx64.efi' and place in EFI/Boot as well.

Also, my install balked at the 'set root' piece. Removing set root and using the below config worked:

Code:
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

set default="0"

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

search --no-floppy --set=root -l 'Kali x86_64'

}

linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

}

}

The modified grub.cfg from dba4life was workable on my laptop (acer s3-951)

Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    While the steps ultimately worked, there were two critical changes that did the trick for me.

When downloading BOOTX64.efi, you also need download 'grubx64.efi' and place in EFI/Boot as well.

Also, my install balked at the 'set root' piece. Removing set root and using the below config worked:

Code:
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

set default="0"

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

search --no-floppy --set=root -l 'Kali x86_64'

}

}

}

}
    Thank you for your sharing

Creating a UEFI & NON-UEFI USB Stick at once using Windows32 Disk Imager and gparted

Quote Originally Posted by riddimr
    Hi, thanks for the guide. My problem is on step 2). I'd tried both live usb install (win32 disk...and dd) but still can't mount it with write perms. for creating the EFI folder. What am I missing? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by careyjames View Post
    please explain how to write and create the /EFI/Boot to a read only drive???
    To all who met this problem here's the solution:
    What you will need to create an EFI bootable USB using this method: Windows with Windows 32 Disk Imager installed, Some kind of Linux Live CD or DVD on which you can use gparted (I used BackTrack)

1) Format your flash drive as fat32. Make a bootable usb stick using the Windows 32 Disk imager (also tried it with dd under Backtrack, for some reason it didn't work, got a blank screen upon boot of the usb stick); After copying it to the flash drive using WIndows 32 Disk Imager the flash drive became bootable and I was able to boot it on a non-uefi notebook.

2) After the flash drive has become bootable you are unable to mount it as writable. You need to make a separate partition on the flash drive and mount the partition itself. I used gparted for this, after making a separate partition then you mount the partition itself. Using gparted you can see which device is your Kali partition located on - in my case the first one (the partition on which the kali image was) was on /dev/sdb1 and the second was on /dev/sdb2. So you mount it like this:
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
    Now go to /mnt and follow the instructions on this thread (Create EFI/Boot folder and copy the grub loader files). Please note that you will need to copy grubx64.efi and MokManager.efi as well into the boot folder and not just BOOTX64.EFI (at least this way in my case, after I copied only the BOOTX64.EFI file the bootloader ended up with an error that grubx64.efi and MokManager.efi were not found on the device). I also copied the fonts folder just in case. Create a grub.cfg in the folder as well as explained on the author's post.

** When you make the new partition choose FAT32!

3) Now open gparted again, switch to your flash drive and make the partition with the EFI/Boot folder and the created grub config file bootable. You do this by right-click the partition, click on properties, then check the option bootable and click OK. In the end when you open gparted the final result should look something like this:

Now put the usb stick on the EFI computer and it should work. This way I was able to run the live cd on my Sony ultrabook which is notorious for booting issues and hard to upload any operating system different than Windows.

More images of the process:

http://s27.postimg.org/6e0o14ib5/snapshot4.png

Links for non-logged users: http://s28.postimg.org/jo5ypjoiz/snapshot1.png http://s30.postimg.org/9f04a98hb/snapshot2.png http://s13.postimg.org/relt5fz11/snapshot3.png

Please note that with this method it should work both on UEFI and NON-UEFI machines.

Good luck!
    Last edited by wtf; 2014-05-13 at 17:21.

Did not work for me.
    restarted machine, and checked in Boot menu, the Usb did not show up, just some UEFI thing thats always there and Windows Boot manager.

There needs to be an official working release.

Quote Originally Posted by jackendra View Post
    Did not work for me.
    restarted machine, and checked in Boot menu, the Usb did not show up, just some UEFI thing thats always there and Windows Boot manager.

There needs to be an official working release.
    DId you put these 3 files (BOOTX64.efi, MokManager.efi and grubx64.efi) into the folder /EFI/Boot in your USB?

I don't know if MokManager.efi is needed, but I've put it in anyway, and it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bacterialbag View Post
    I tried this method, using kali live cd to add the /EFI/Boot to my Kali-usb, however when I reboot my PC with USB atachad, I can not see my USB in the EFI bootloader, only legacy... Any tips? Could someone prepare a EFI bootable .iso ? That would be great!.
    Im having the same problem. I was wondering if anyone ever found a solution to this. If so Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbas View Post
    Im having the same problem. I was wondering if anyone ever found a solution to this. If so Please help
    As my reply above, did you download all 3 files (BOOTx64.efi, MokManager.efi and grubx64.efi) into your /EFI/Boot folder?

Since the first post did not include the file "grubx64.efi" which is said to be a major problem. You should include all 3 files just to be safe (I don't really know if MokManager.efi is required, but I'll test it out soon).

I created USB drive in 1.

and then i cant access .2 to put folders in it?

is it folders or partitions?

windows cant access usb to do something there

how do i solve that?

i got uefi laptop that i cant boot in kali

Exclamation Need Help Plz

Hi i was trying to run live but when i did it all right and i went to run it live it said that it needed kernel to run first and i was wondering on how to get it to run ight

i did it, on efi asus g750jw

so it works

burned iso to usb, then booted kali in live mode, used gparted to make fat32 partition from unalocated space

then i put all files that i have to put in EFI/Boot i uploaded them in drop box public folder, and shared it on my facebook, so then under ali live i open facebook click dropbox link and download all 4 files to my root

then mounted usb created folders and copy from root to usb

after that i had grub usb

i couuld start it in bios

then just run usb live kali and there is option to install kali to hdd, that was it, took me 3 days o figure out

Had given up for a while and took another look at it this past weekend and found other instructions that showed that you needed grubx64.efi too. I added that file to efi/boot and had success.

Since the release of 1.0.8, Kali now has EFI support out of the box!
    For more information: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-1-0-8-...-boot-support/
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

still can't install Kali Linux 1.0.8 dualboot. I used rufus, and got the message "No EFI partition found" when installing Kali in efi. Please help...

I installed LUKS LVM install on Win 8.1 laptop.
    I got SSD with Win 8.1 and HDD with EFI System, Data and Kali.
    Kali has /boot (not encrypted) / and swap.
    It installs GRUB and reboots, but if you choose Kali I get blank screen.
    Only way to boot Kali is use refind and it finds another linux install under sda2 and boots.
    Grub only contains /EFI/Boot version of grub which dont work.
    Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by g0tmi1k View Post
    Since the release of 1.0.8, Kali now has EFI support out of the box!
    For more information: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-1-0-8-...-boot-support/
    If you try to boot from usb with uefi bios it does not work. The usb doesn't even show up unless bootx64.efi is found.
    I also tried extracting efi.img to the root of usb and that does not work either.

If I use gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486.iso the grub boot works fine, but when I follow the instructions of this thread it does not boot into kali just makes it as far as detection cpu's and errors out. Perhaps the debian distro doesn't support the hardware ?? HP Elitepad 1000 G2.

Ok, so I discovered why rufus does not create the USB properly. The ISO contains multiple partitions

2014-08-07_13-57-40.jpg

do we have to wait until 1.0.9 to fix this problem?

the 1.0.9 available

Quote Originally Posted by an3ukMieth View Post
    do we have to wait until 1.0.9 to fix this problem?
    let's try the 1.0.9... hope this one will work on my Asus...

http://www.kali.org/downloads/

hi guys..
    I had this problem,and after 2days searching (so this topic) and try many other ways......finally fix it......by the way,I'm not pro user.....so if this way,already said in previous comment,sry.......ok let's go
    first I bought a asus laptop L550 last week,and as U know,I have a pre installed windows8 OEM......and when I want to install kali,windows boot loader ignore the boot loader of kali......so this is the solution
    the main issue is the first partition (for me 300 mg).I mean EFI partition that is responsible for our prob....so we should edit this partition in right way....
    download the kali 1.0.8 or earlly 1.0.9.......then,we should write it in the flash USB drive......U know,we have a lot of program can make it,but some of them doesn't work in this situation(like rufus)....so I recommend U use this program(winSetupFrom USB)....link dl: http://winsetupfromusb.soft32.com/
    check auto format and browse the kali image in 4th checkbox and GO.......after restart system in setting menu of windows8(1-in search tools on top of the windows,type "boot" and click on on advanced start up option......and at the bottom of list advanced start up,click Restart ......go to troubleshooting option and choose on change UEFI firmware.....
    .also,before all of these step,U should disable secure boot and enable CSM...
    in the boot menu of,you see the first option boot is "Windows boot loader"...and You should see your USB EFi option......so change the first priority on your Usb drive and save (F10) them and restart...
    U will see the boot from USb.......install the kali, as U know ...we can't load kali,and after restart of complete install,windows boot up.....ok,this is my steps to get kali.....
    1-there is a program "The rEFlnd Boot Manager" on this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/refi..............and if U have time recommend U read all of them,this man is genius who make that...http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/..........
    there is image file "refind-flashdrive-0.8.3.img".........in this case I recommend U ,use rufus for burn in to your flash memory........so again restart your system on this UEFI USB drive.....and you will see the nice graphical boot loader,and see the kali linux and windows icon.......... choose linux...

2-after login,go to application list,accesory.and run disk utility......
    3-mount the first partition,(EFI partition)..... copy the "EFI" folder to other partition(it's safety have a back up plan).....
    4-in EFI,you see the at least two folder......1-boot2-microsoft(3-asus for my laptop).......
    5-delete all of them except "microsoft" folder............so U should have just "Microsoft" folder.........
    6-back to utility folder and open the flash USB drive,(mount it)......
    7-copy all of the files and folders in USB drive to the first partition internal drive(that EFI partiton,step3)
    8-restart to the UEFI firmware setting(i mean old bios_................
    9-disable "windows boot loader"
    Last edited by sad_hosseini; 2014-08-30 at 13:13.

thanks sad_hosseini..
    anyway I had solve this problem too.
    I downloaded the last kali (1.0.9) and create a bootable usb using rufus, then :
    - I did like bofh28 wrote, step 2 - 4
    install kali linux in text mode. follow the instructions...and tadaaa... it works...
    thanks everyone...

Hi Guys.
    I have followed all the steps until now.
    After booting my usb I get the following header
    "Minimal Bash = Like Line editing is supported"
    And then this thing comes
    grub>
    And the cursor blinks beside it.
    Any help appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by an3ukMieth View Post
    thanks sad_hosseini..
    anyway I had solve this problem too.
    I downloaded the last kali (1.0.9) and create a bootable usb using rufus, then :
    - I did like bofh28 wrote, step 2 - 4
    install kali linux in text mode. follow the instructions...and tadaaa... it works...
    thanks everyone...
    I'm getting this error:

error: you need to load the kernel first

When I select any options in the boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by phat_cow View Post
    I'm getting this error:

error: you need to load the kernel first

When I select any options in the boot menu.
    It's an old post but I'll reply for the case someone is having this same problem.
    I had the same issue today, in my case it was an easy fix. When formatting the usb with Rufus, it's by default making a freeDOS. This doesn't work. There's an option in lower right corner to choose ISO-image. Once you choose this you get to Search for your Kali-iso. This will make your usb a bootable.

My problem starts when i boot from the usb i prompts me to the GNU GRUB version 2.00 screen, minimal BASH-Like line editing is supported ... Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

I had issues and several attempts to get kali running on EFI. I finally stumbled across rEFIned. Followed the simple instructions. Its not Grub2, but still a nice boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by DeAdZoNe View Post
    I had issues and several attempts to get kali running on EFI. I finally stumbled across rEFIned. Followed the simple instructions. Its not Grub2, but still a nice boot menu.
    How did you do this?

hello,

I EFI installed kali using the above mentioned process and it worked flawlessly the first time. Then on a reboot I entered BIOS to enable the secure boot but after doing it my grub screen doesn't show up whenever I boot my system. I also again disabled the secure boot to see if the grub screen shows up but I couldn't get my grub screen to show up whenever I booted in my system. Any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Hi

i try to make a boot USB with the UEFI and spent hours and hours in forums so i hope to find my answer here :-)

my USB is starting the boot manager and when i click the USB KALI section ..... suprise windows 8.1 starts up

So i try the next :

i try to pik the files Download bootx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    i get a 505 error in the browser,

what can i do now ?

Bassie

I have 486 non-PAE - Hardware
    Does there exist anywhere any BOOTX386.efi or so to get my GRUB installed ?