Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Try the following grub.cfg
    Make sure to replace --set=root and root=UUID= with the UUID for your system.
    The grub.cfg that comes didn't work for me so I made up the following.

Code:
    set default="1"
    set timeout=30

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
      insmod efi_gop
      insmod efi_uga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
      insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

menuentry "Kali 3.7 sdb2" {
      search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 556feb5a-aa31-4dc0-91ba-1fc416f045c6
      linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7-trunk-amd64 root=UUID=556feb5a-aa31-4dc0-91ba-1fc416f045c6
      initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7-trunk-amd64
    }

menuentry "Windows 7" {
      search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root AAFF-7523
      chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi 
    }
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Quote Originally Posted by infomaniac View Post
    So I tried the UNETBOOTIN method. However, there are some missing details. I have not fixed syslinux.cfg "like the other post says" because the data format is completely different. /boot/grub/grub.cfg is grub2 format, while /syslinux.cfg seems to be legacy grub (not sure about that).
    OK. Is the fat32 partition the only partition on the drive? If not what is the partition layout?
    EFI files must reside on a fat32 partition and fat32 partitions are NOT case sensitive.

Syslinux is its own bootloader. Syslinux does not use grub.cfg. If you used unetbootin to create the thumb and boot in BIOS mode then you are booting using syslinux and not grub.

You can try the grub.cfg I just posted. Just don't don't ever run grub-update. Starting with grub2 the grub.cfg is actually generated by scripts. You can replace the script version with the one I posted but if you run grub-update it will be overwritten.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Hi thanks for guide.
    My problem is on step 2). I'd tried both live usb install (win32 disk...and dd) but still can't mount it with write perms.
    I encounter the same issues, someone have find a solution different than the windows way ?
    I've tried to boot directly on live usb (key alt) without write the /EFI/BOOT, but my usb isn't detected...

Regards,
    Hlx

EDIT:
    I've found a solution. I partitioned in two my USB on FAT32, once for kali iso the other for EFI.
    And after dd kali iso i can set /EFI/Boot/* files in second partition.
    It works until grub. When i arrive to grub menu, i have all choices. but when i select Kali Graphical Install or others it said:
    Code:
    error: unknown command 'linuxefi'.
    error: unknown command 'initrdefi'.
    I assume that is a problem between mac and grub and i search on google but don't find any answer...
    I continue to search and if someone have solution please end my pain

Notes: Macbook Pro late 2011 (8.1), Grub v1.99, KaliLinux i386.
    Last edited by Hlx; 2013-04-27 at 07:14 AM.

I would like to install Kali on my system as a dual-boot alongside Windows 8, but I am leery about doing so, because an attempt to do that with BT5r3 borked my system so bad that I lost everything and had to reinstall Win7 and re-upgrade to Win8. Needless to say, I would like not to have to relive that nightmare, so here are my questions:

1. Looking at my laptop's drive in GParted, I have the following entries:

a. The EFI "partition"(?), which is listed as GPT;
    b. The hidden Win7 partition;
    c. The main partition that Win7 is installed on, labeled C: OS, and formatted as NTFS;
    d. And the final partition, labeled D: DATA, and also formatted as NTFS.

There's 170GB on the Data partition, which is where I intend to divvy up some space for Kali to go. Where will the bootloader be installed to, the EFI partition or the C: OS partition, and how would I go about doing that?

2. Finally, will this approach pass the Secure Boot smell test? The laptop I'm using is an Asus X75VD, and the most recent BIOS update hid all of the EFI/Secure Boot options from me, so I am assuming that Secure Boot is permanently engaged?

Right now I am booting Kali from an USB stick, but I would like to get away from that, because up until I got this laptop, I've always had Linux on my laptops in a dual-boot solution. It aggravates me that I can't do this with a lot of unnecessary drama.

Hey!
    Im having troubles installing a bootable Kali on my Asus K56C, of course equipped with efi bios. I can boot with a live USB but cant make a HDD install working. I cant get around the following:

"6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit"

I cannot find any option to partition a drive as EFI using the Kali Graphical install. Anyone succeeded in doing this?
    regards,
    xfiles

Same problem with Partition TYPE to EFI?

Quote Originally Posted by xfiles View Post
    Hey!
    Im having troubles installing a bootable Kali on my Asus K56C, of course equipped with efi bios. I can boot with a live USB but cant make a HDD install working. I cant get around the following:

"6) Once you get to the disk partition part of the install create a layout like this:
    At least 400MB primary partition and select EFI boot partition as the type. This MUST be the first partition you create on the drive.
    Setup the rest of the drive as you see fit"

I cannot find any option to partition a drive as EFI using the Kali Graphical install. Anyone succeeded in doing this?
    regards,
    xfiles

Hi !

I'm trying to install Kali to my macbook pro, but it seems to be hard to realize !
    I haven't found a way to install the EFI bootloader by the installer...
    I've made a partiton in FAT32 and then I've been able to boot from Mac Os X by putting Fedora bootloader, but after loading the vmlinuz and the initrd it wouldn't boot !
    I've installed the 32bits version, I'm now trying to install the 64bits version... I hope it will work !

I got Kali working on a macbook pro, hard disk install
    not sure if it's going to work for everyone, I put together some info crypto posted at top-hat-sec and bofh28 posted here, and came up with this...

1- create a FAT32 partition on the osx machine, a small one just to keed the /EFI/Boot/ files (a 5MB partition is more than enough for the FAT32. I assume you will also consider having a partition with free space available to install Kali. Use the Disk Utility for this step)
    2- inside the /EFI/Boot/ located on the newly created partition, put the files located on ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ (the fonts folder is not required, and we're going to update this grub.cfg file later, for now just copy the files)
    3- just to test if the partition is ready, restart your macbook and hold down the alt/option key (you should now see an "EFI Boot" option just beside your normal boot option, there's nothing to boot yet so just leave it for now)
    4- burn a Kali ISO to a DVD and install it to the partition you reserved on step 1 (if you run into some problems during the grub instalation, and you are not sure about which hd the grub should be... try /dev/sda/ or /dev/sdb/. The partition we're going to install Kali will not be recognised by default, so here's the workaround I figured)
    5- boot Kali from the DVD we used to install it. Once you boot from the DVD open Computer. Now take a look at the Devices list (there should be 3, your OSX, the FAT32 partition and your Kali) mount the one that says Filesystem (Kali). Once inside the Filesystem go to boot/grub/ and copy the grub.cfg file... now mount the FAT32 partition, go to EFI/Boot and paste the grub.cfg
    6- open the grub.cfg file with your favorite text editor > find the lines that say "linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.7..." > change the linux to linuxefi e initrd to initrdefi > the lines (there are 4 changes to make, 2 in each menuentry) should now look like "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7..."
    7- restart you macbook hold the alt/option and click the EFI Boot > grub will show options > boot it! =)

if you have some experience installing backtrack this will make sense... hope you guys can understand...

I'm running Securecore Tiano on my tablet PC, and I get
    Failure trying to run: chroot /target mount -t proc proc /proc
    . Doing an install of
    Debian Wheezy, I can install the system but it boots to a grub prompt rather than an OS-selection screen.

I've also tried installing the mini-iso, and I get
    failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-depends --install
    Alright, I got a little further after burning the amd64-mini.iso to a cd. Now the "select & install software" step fails at 90% without giving a reason. That's a problem I can deal with, however, I also get the error
    The grub-pc package failed to install into /target/.
    And now I still cannot boot.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2013-06-10 at 08:59 AM. Reason: merged

If I can get the system to boot to a grub prompt, that is, a prompt that looks something like
    grub>
    what do I need to do to get grub to "see" debian/kali and Windows 7? For right now, I'm just trying to put debian/kali on my machine (without windows) and get it to boot, which is far more challenging than it should be.

Today I tried installing Ubuntu 13.04 and it will still only boot to
    grub rescue>
    UEFI sucks!