Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux

Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance

Thank you guys for the information. I have successfully installed Kali onto my computer and now I have triple boot of Win8, Kali, and Ubuntu 12.04. But on kali I cannot get the brightness to work. Has anyone dealt with this problem yet? Thanks for the help guys been great.

I have tried creating the usb with the LiLi usb creator and I can still not get it to work. I also have secure boot disabled.

Great how to, thanks bohf28! I'm successfully dual-booted, but I had to download grubx64.efi from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ for my flash drive to be recognized as an UEFI device.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    I got Kali working on a macbook pro, hard disk install
    not sure if it's going to work for everyone, I put together some info crypto posted at top-hat-sec and bofh28 posted here, and came up with this...

1- create a FAT32 partition on the osx machine, a small one just to keed the /EFI/Boot/ files (a 5MB partition is more than enough for the FAT32. I assume you will also consider having a partition with free space available to install Kali. Use the Disk Utility for this step)
    2- inside the /EFI/Boot/ located on the newly created partition, put the files located on ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ (the fonts folder is not required, and we're going to update this grub.cfg file later, for now just copy the files)
    3- just to test if the partition is ready, restart your macbook and hold down the alt/option key (you should now see an "EFI Boot" option just beside your normal boot option, there's nothing to boot yet so just leave it for now)
    4- burn a Kali ISO to a DVD and install it to the partition you reserved on step 1 (if you run into some problems during the grub instalation, and you are not sure about which hd the grub should be... try /dev/sda/ or /dev/sdb/. The partition we're going to install Kali will not be recognised by default, so here's the workaround I figured)
    5- boot Kali from the DVD we used to install it. Once you boot from the DVD open Computer. Now take a look at the Devices list (there should be 3, your OSX, the FAT32 partition and your Kali) mount the one that says Filesystem (Kali). Once inside the Filesystem go to boot/grub/ and copy the grub.cfg file... now mount the FAT32 partition, go to EFI/Boot and paste the grub.cfg
    6- open the grub.cfg file with your favorite text editor > find the lines that say "linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.7..." > change the linux to linuxefi e initrd to initrdefi > the lines (there are 4 changes to make, 2 in each menuentry) should now look like "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7..." and "initrdefi /boot/initrd.img-3.7..."
    7- restart you macbook hold the alt/option and click the EFI Boot > grub will show options > boot it! =)

if you have some experience installing backtrack this will make sense... hope you guys can understand...
    I hope you, or somebody else who understands all of this is still around to help.

I'm installing Kali on a 11' MacBook Air (Mid 2013). You say to partition out a small chunk (~5MB) for the /EFI/Boot/ files. Do I make this partition on my OS X hard drive? Running diskutil list shows me this:

~ ➜ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Danboard 250.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s4

This is a normal OS X installation, but I've put rEFInd on it. However other Mac computers seem to have the EFI partition too.
    So should I be making another one? Does it have to be in front of the regular OS X partition?

Humm I've experienced similar problems. I'm also trying to install on a MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (6,1). We're a rare breed.

Anyways, I started by trying to install BackTrack, then Kali, then BackBox.
    I had the most success with BackBox, you can see what I did here: https://forum.backbox.org/general-su...-1-(mid-2013)/

I got it booting from the HD, but wireless doesn't work, and I'd like to use Kali instead anyways. It's late so I'm off for now, but if you want look over what I did and see if it can help you out. I think a lot of this goes back to Ubuntu since that's what Kali is originally based off of (right?).

I'm going to revisit this tomorrow in a fresh light, but it's good to see somebody else has the same machine, and problem that I have. I'm sure we'll eventually be able to work it out! I've just taken to documenting everything I do when messing with the install. Just keep a note pad and pen nearby and jot down any notes I can. The more info the easier it'll be to solve it eventually

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeDerek View Post
    Hey, guys. I have a Kali live USB that I made with Rufus, downloaded and placed extra files, and I'm having a problem when I try to boot it. The USB boots into grub fine, but when I try to choose any of the options, the boot hangs on something to the effect of "Booting Kali Linux 1.0.4" and the next line says, "Secure boot not enabled _". If anyone else has had this problem and has fixed it, or knows what might be the problem I would really be grateful for the help. Thanks in advance
    I had the same issue while trying to install 32bit Kali on my laptop with a 64bit processor. 32bit EFI wasn't supported but it worked with the 64bit version of Kali.

Okay, This is the forum that I used to figure this out. This will work with any EFI boot system. It's for Kali-ONLY installation. I managed to boot Kali off my MacBook Pro in only 21 easy steps.

This is a very simple Step-by-Step instruction set.

This is for a Kali-ONLY install on a MacBook Pro. Though it should work with any EFI system. If you want to dual boot with OSX/Windows, then be very careful when you are using gparted to edit the partitions!!

Pay attention to the ****** !!!

1. Insert Kali DVD into Laptop and reboot.
    2. Press Option/Alt when the laptop is booting (before you hear the chime) keep it pressed until you see the boot drive selection screen show up.
    3. Select the DVD when it comes up. (the Label on mine said "Windows" because of the formatting.) The icon is a CD.
    4. Select "Live Boot" which is the first selection when grub starts.
    5. Go to Applications --> System Tools --> Administration --> GParted Partition Editor
    ******* Note: if you perform the below step you will erase EVERYTHING on your drive, you are warned*******
    6. Erase every partition on your HD until everything is listed as "unallocated space" under File System
    7. Click on the "Create a new Partition" to create a new partition.
    8. Make sure the partition type is FAT32
    9. Give your partition a name. I called mine EFI.
    9. Make sure you adjust the size of the partition. I used 400MB, but that is more than enough.
    10. Create the partition. You can click on the "check mark" icon. You should now just have 1 400MB partition that is on the drive.
    11. Exit out of GParted.
    12. Go to Places --> EFI (or whatever you named your partition)
    13. You should now have an empty window. Right-click and create a new folder named EFI. Go into that folder and create a New Folder named Boot.
    14. Copy all of the files (except for the Fonts folder) from here: ftp://mirrors.kernelhttps://forums.k...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ into the Boot folder.
    15. Reboot your computer. Put the Kali DVD back in the drive when it spits it out. Hold down option/alt again when you are booting up.
    ***** You should now see 2 devices on the boot options screen. 1 Drive that says EFI Boot and the DVD that says "windows" If you don't then you messed something up in the above steps.
    16. Boot into the Kali DVD. Select "Graphical Install" Go through your options until you get to the format disk section. Make sure you select "GUIDED - Use continous free space"
    ***** When you get to the Grub Boot Loader section, tell the Install to NOT INSTALL GRUB to your MBR. If you do you will overwrite the /dev/sda1 partion and you will have to start over*****
    17. Put the DVD back in after it installs Kali and hold down option/alt. Boot from the DVD Again.
    18. Go back to Live Boot. Take a look at your devices list. You should see 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 Kali. Mount the Kali partition and go to /boot/grub. Open the grub.cfg file and copy the contents.
    19. Open the FAT32 partition and go to /EFI/Boot. Open the grub.cfg file and replace it with the contents you copied in the above step.
    20. Edit the new file however you want (VI, nano, leafpad) find the lines that say: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.... and add "efi" to the end of linux. Do the same for the lines that say initrd.
    ***** You should have edited 4 lines. They should now say "linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7...." and "initrdefi /boot/vmlinuz-3.7....." without the quotes.
    21. Reboot. Remove the DVD. Hold Down option/alt and select EFI Boot as your boot drive. You should now boot into Kali.

Hope this helps. Thanks to albert on the forums for the information!

Few hours ago, I completed the Kali installation with Windows 8 Pre-installed in EUFI based system.
    The steps I followed were:

1. I used Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to install Kali ISO in USB Memory Stick.

2. Follow the Steps from #2 to #4 typed by bofh28 in first post.
    - Boot UEFI Files link: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/

3. In EUFI Setup set Secure Boot = Disabled
    4. In EUFI Setup set Boot Mode = UEFI Boot. The name of this value can be some different in others laptops.
    5. In EUFI Set USB as First Boot. Save Changes!

6. Restart your machine. It must appears the GNU GRUB version 2.00.
    7. (Optional) If you don't have HD partition to Linux Installation, you can use GParted to create this partition. It's a software included with Kali Live. If so, you can choice the option "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode". When Kali Live is up, go to Gparted and create the partition targeted to Kali. Restart your PC.
    8. Select "Install Graphic" in GNU GRUB Menu.

9. Follow the installation steps, but when you are in Disk Partition Step, you must be careful. Please, select "Manual Partition" option. Using "Guided - use the largest continuos free space", strangely doesn't recognize the UEFI partition. This option see it like fat32 and this is not good for us!
    10. Once you finish the partition part, if all it was set up fine, the installation process doesn't ask about EUFI partition. Yes, the EUFI partition used by Pre-Installed Windows 8 can be used in Linux too. Now, If you PC doesn't have Windows and you only want to use Kali, you MUST create the UEFI partition.
    11. Continue the Kali Installation, it must download and install GRUB at the end of installation.
    12. When finish the installation, remove the USB Memmory and Restart the machine.
    13. If all was good, you should see the GNU GRUB Menu, like this:
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/wp-content...D4-600x450.png

Note: If you have problem downloading the GRUB at the end of installation, check you Internet Connection. If the problem continue, connect your PC directly to ADSL o Cable Modem. Avoid Wireless Router or something like that.

HI,
    well from months myself looking around but couldn't solve my problem.my question is about penetration testing KALI LINUX its a normal linux like normal my point of view i just wanted to install kali linux into my external USB HDD so that i need i can boot from my external USB HDD ok remember i am not taking about live boot.i am OK with that.i just wanted to complete install like windows.the problem comes when i make live USB PEN_DRIVE to install into my EXTERNAL USB HDD everything goes perfect with successfully but when i restart my laptop n boot from my USB HDD FROM BIOS its gives me a GRUB RESCUE even i had try to repair my grub but fail than i had remove my laptop internal HARD DRIVE than make a try with USB HDD live Kali Linux to select into my external USB HDD same everything goes perfect with last final grub installation than i reinstall my main INTERNAL HDD into my laptop and connect my EXTERNAL USB HDD n from bios boot from USB HDD
    same problem GRUB RESCUE even i cant repair with same live kali linux so kindly help me out how to fix this problem i don't want to do DUAL boot just complete different .DO REPLY...