Thread: RPi2/Kali2.0.1: boot to commandline instead of X?

Question RPi2/Kali2.0.1: boot to commandline instead of X?

Hi,
    After having run Kali 1.x on a RPi B (original model B) I got myself a RPi2 and installed Kali 2.0.1. Seems like Kali 2.0.1 comes up with a full blown X login screen as opposed to Kali 1.x that booted to a plain vanilla "login:" prompt so one could opt for either starting X using "startx" or staying "CLI only".

Since I'm mostly working via ssh login into the RPi and won't need a graphical environment most of the time is there a way to prevent Kali 2.0.1 from booting right into the graphical environment?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
    -ejkali

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but you're going to want to look into disabling lightdm - something like this *should* work, but no guarantees - 'systemctl disable graphical.target' - read up on using systemd, since that's the new service manager and init system

Get the current session type, text-mode or lightdm+xfce:
    Code:
    systemctl get-default
    Set the current session type to text-mode by disabling lightdm autostart:
    Code:
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    Enable lightdm autostart:
    Code:
    systemctl set-default graphical.target
    Works 100% on Kali 2.0.1 + Raspberry PI.

I have kali 2016-2 installed on an older laptop. The above systemctl command works great for disabling the automatic start of the gui at boot.

Is there a way to start the gui from the command line without having to change the default back to graphical target and rebooting? I would like to be able to do something like startx from the command line, but still retain the default boot into CLI mode. All of my googling seems to bring up info on pre-systemd configurations.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bsteener View Post
    I have kali 2016-2 installed on an older laptop. The above systemctl command works great for disabling the automatic start of the gui at boot.

Is there a way to start the gui from the command line without having to change the default back to graphical target and rebooting? I would like to be able to do something like startx from the command line, but still retain the default boot into CLI mode. All of my googling seems to bring up info on pre-systemd configurations.

Thanks for any advice.
    here you go

/etc/init.d/lightdm start

One thing that I have not figured out yet is why I need to login on the CL to get wifi to start when running headless. this is not an issue with eth0 only wlan0.....