Thread: Best Chromebook and method to install Kali Linux

Best Chromebook and method to install Kali Linux

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to Kali and was wondering what the best and most stable version of Kali Linux is to install from a bootable usb drive that works on any Chromebook. Just recently purchased a Samsung Chromebook 2 and installed with no luck. I'm will to admit right off the bat that I'm not best at this stuff but I do know how to follow instructions and had no luck getting it on the Chromebook 2. In fact, I didn't notice til I got the Chromebook 2 that the link for that download is no longer around. Tried to dd the Chromebook Kali image onto a thumb drive, try to boot and just got a sad beep noise. Is there a better more stable way to do this on another Chromebook without actually downloading it onto the hard drive of the Chromebook itself. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by haken29a; 2015-09-09 at 02:43. Reason: Title

You'll probably want to download armhf image. If you have access to another Linux or Windows machine, you should be able to make a USB live Kali stick

Quote Originally Posted by badger8327 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to Kali and was wondering what the best and most stable version of Kali Linux is to install from a bootable usb drive that works on any Chromebook. Just recently purchased a Samsung Chromebook 2 and installed with no luck. I'm will to admit right off the bat that I'm not best at this stuff but I do know how to follow instructions and had no luck getting it on the Chromebook 2. In fact, I didn't notice til I got the Chromebook 2 that the link for that download is no longer around. Tried to dd the Chromebook Kali image onto a thumb drive, try to boot and just got a sad beep noise. Is there a better more stable way to do this on another Chromebook without actually downloading it onto the hard drive of the Chromebook itself. Thanks in advance.
    I just figured this out myself.
    For the Chromebook 2 from Samsung, I grabbed the peach arm kali image. Look for "Samsung Chromebook2 (Peach)"
    Next, get your chromebook in developer mode :http://linux-exynos.org/wiki/Samsung...stalling_Linux. Make sure to
    Code:
    sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_signed_only=0
    since ChromeOS doesn't think the kali ISO is signed.
    Then follow the instructions for creating a bootable USB/SD. http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence

My HD on my chromebook isn't big enough to xz the kali image, so I had to
    Code:
    sudo su;  xz -d kali-2.0-exynos.img.xz -c | dd of=/dev/sda bs=512k
    Once finished, reboot the chromebook and push ctrl-U at the developer warning screen.