Thread: Guide:- Install any version of NVIDIA drivers on KALI SANA 2.0 (Solved)

Guide:- Install any version of NVIDIA drivers on KALI SANA 2.0 (Solved)

This is the guide by which I was able to install NVIDIA drivers on KALI Linux SANA 2.0 after struggling for almost a month and trying almost every available guides online which are only for upto Kali Linux 1.1 and results in unbootable device. The drivers are necessary for 16:9 resolution for me as the nouveau provided resiolution was **** and making me run away from Kali, but I was determined this time and hence was able to install the drivers.
    Have to flash the kali iso atleast 40 times to make it work..
    Am using a USB drive for Kali 2.0 of 32 GB and a guide will folow for "How to make Kali Sana with 4 partitions and a Windows readable FAT32 partion on Windows 7-10 itself without using Linux or Gparted".

So as I mentioned I have 4 partititons on USB pen drive and please do check what your partitions consist of by fdisk -l.
    Am not using any numbers for steps as to make it a copy-paste guide so please consider every other line not starting from # as a step and a command in terminal.
    This guide is for fresh install as well as a working installation of Kali Sana with persistence.

Mandatory:
    Kali Linux with persistence if its a USB Drive.

Steps:-
    # Boot up your PC from USB Drive.
    # In Boot menu of kali choose Kali with persistence or encrypted persistence as your installation is and press Tab on keyboard, give a space and type:-

nomodeset=0

# Let the PC boot up
    # Open a terminal and check your NVIDIA chipset:-

lspci

# Resulting in VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation ******** where stars are your model number.
    # Open Iceweasel and Google to Download appropriate Linux drvers for your NVIDIA GPU or from:-
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

# Copy-paste the driver file to root of your system and remane it as 99999.run or anything, I ain't did that but it helps when you have not to type a very long name in TTY. Got the idea?
    # Now change permission for the file:-

chmod +x /root/99999.run

# Open terminal

apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)

# when everything is installed just do this. If its a new installation it might bring no results and would just say nothing to remove. The peeps who have a working installation and did a apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms should do:-

apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-dkms (optional for peoples who did apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms.)

apt-get remove nvidia-* --purge
    apt-get remove nvidia* --purge

# Now open TTY by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1
    # Login with root and toor for USB installs or whatever your login and password is.

service gdm3 stop

ls /root

# it will give you the output of contents of /root

./99999.run -a

# The driver installation should start now:-
    # Whatever it asks you just accept or ok or agree to it by choosing with arrows and pressing enter on keyboard.
    # It will ask you for installation or making changes to
    xconfig - accept it.
    # When everthing is done and notification pops up that the installation is done enter ok.
    # The TTY screen will pop up:-

service gdm3 start

# And voila you are into your 16:9 resolution display, CONGRATULATIONS..

# Now pop a terminal and type:-

nvidia-settings

# *** you have a NVIDIA settings panel too.
    #Do Mirror the Screens if you have more than 1.
    #Now we have to remove nouveau drivers or stop nouveau from loading in next boot otherwise it will be a bootloop on next boot:-
    # make a file with name:-

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

# Copy paste these lines in the file:-

blacklist nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    options nouveau.modeset=0

# Now just do:-

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

# Hope I covered it thoroughly but as am a Linux noob please use your brains and point out any mistake in the guide prior to or after using it.

DISCLAIMER:- Am not responsible for any broken pen drives or eathquakes or hurricanes or shattered lives due to the guide.
    # Please bud me to teach me few basics of Kali Linux if you have a bit of spare time.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ENJOY!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

If it helps you please rate the thread.
    The people who have a 32 GB or 64 GB pen drives and want to have a windows readable 10, 15, 20 GB space with kali on it must wait a Day as of now I am short on time to write the guide.
    Last edited by sihag; 2015-09-12 at 07:32. Reason: Text Size, Forgot to quiet Nouveau resulting in bootloop on next boot.

Thanks alot for the tut sihag, but i couldn't get it to work, the screen stucks at the black screen with a blinking cursor.
    can access CTRL+ALT+F1 tty.

Can you help ?
    Kali-Linux 1.1.0a 32Bit (VM)
    kali-linux 2.0-amd64
    Lenovo Y510p
    RAM 8GB
    HDD 1TB
    GRAPHICS 2GB NVIDIA GT755M && 1GB Intel Integrated

Yup Rajnish357 what is the exact problem? Where is exactly I can be of any help. Can you please tell me where the problem actually occurs?

i have the same problem, more and less. I check and this happend because there is something wrong with the xorg.conf, before installing he driver there were no xorg.conf, if you rename it wthis problem will disapeard. But for me this open the door for new problems because i have nvidia optimus a nothing work right.

i have the same problem, more and less. I check and this happend because there is something wrong with the xorg.conf, before installing he driver there were no xorg.conf, if you rename it wthis problem will disapeard. But for me this open the door for new problems because i have nvidia optimus a nothing work right.
    Sihag do you have a computer with nvidia optimus system?

Sihag - you just saved me so much time. Been having some serious issues with getting the latest NVIDIA drivers working and your guide was perfect. Thank you!!!

Please give more details....

Quote Originally Posted by harry_arg View Post
    If only you provide me more details (of your system, the way you wanna install it and at what stage you have the problem) I can be of real help.
    BTW I had a Intel installation and am assuming you are not running a AMD build? If that is the cas this guide should work but I can not troubleshoot it.
    XORG.cfg problem
    While installing the correct NVIDIA drivers it would have asked you about installing XORG and am hoping you accepted it? Anyways you can always install it manually.

works for 525M.thanks

I fallowed your guide, but it doesn't work with me. It doesn't let me install the drivers.

nvidia-installer.log
    Code:
    nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer
        -a

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> License accepted by command line option.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 340.93.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    Any ideas?

wil this guide work on a gtx 970 on kali 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by snake_moreno View Post
    works for 525M.thanks
    I assume this implies you are on a laptop with both integrated [intel] and discrete [NVIDIA] graphics cards?
    Is there anything else you did?
    I am not having the same luck with my 650M.

Does it work for Nvidia Optimus too? Because i have already tried this guide without succes... (white screen error) and i was asking myself if it happened due to my fault...(i think it... )
    I have tried to install Nvidia 352 drivers.
    (Sorry for my really bad english grammar )

Am sorry for the querries being answered late.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry_arg View Post
    Sihag do you have a computer with nvidia optimus system?
    No I don't have Optimus system but have you tried this guide or this one?

Quote Originally Posted by noliveira View Post
    I followed your guide, but it doesn't work with me. It doesn't let me install the drivers.

nvidia-installer.log
    Code:
        ./nvidia-installer
        -a

-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 340.93.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    Any ideas?
    Could you please post /var/log/nvidia-installer.log so to find out who is the exact culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by s2robbin View Post
    wil this guide work on a gtx 970 on kali 2.0
    It will surely work. What you need is the latest version of Nvidia Drivers from here. (64 bit drivers link)

Quote Originally Posted by hydratedscrub View Post
    I assume this implies you are on a laptop with both integrated [intel] and discrete [NVIDIA] graphics cards?
    Is there anything else you did?
    I am not having the same luck with my 650M.
    There is nothing else to do just download the drivers and follow the guide. (Link is of 64 bit drivers for 650M)

Quote Originally Posted by orasio2 View Post
    Does it work for Nvidia Optimus too? Because i have already tried this guide without succes... (white screen error) and i was asking myself if it happened due to my fault...(i think it... )
    It have tried to install Nvidia 352 drivers.
    (Sorry for my really bad english grammar )
    Please follow this Guide for it.
    Last edited by sihag; 2015-10-19 at 04:56. Reason: Links updated.

Quote Originally Posted by sihag View Post
    It will surely work. What you need is the latest version of Nvidia Drivers from here. (64 bit drivers link)

There is nothing else to do just download the drivers and follow the guide. (Link is of 64 bit drivers for 650M)
    Sadly, no.
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ursor-of-Death
    I have documented EVERYTHING I am doing and can not find a solution.
    I recently realized my laptop is OPTIMUS enabled, so I followed the guide you linked but I also end up with blinking cursor
    CTRL+ALT+F1 shows that nouveau is off, NVIDIA is loaded (even though its not) and Bumblebee can't initialize.

Please follow this Guide for it.
    Already done, same problem... I have followed this guide for kali 1.1 and it used to work but it seem not to be working with kali 2.0.
    The only thing that seem to be near a solution is to install bumblebee-nvidia but in this way i have no access to nvidia-setting and it install an older version of nvidia driver then the "352.55" (latest for my GPU, nvidia 755m).
    (in my case i also need to install CUDA 7.5 and the drivers privided by bumblebee-nvidia are not compatible... D: )

I got the nvidia-340 driver loaded with this guide but it did fail on the first attempt because nouveau was still in use. I blacklisted nouveau and did a reboot then the installation went through. The only problem I have now is actually making use of the card.

Code:
    root@Eagle:~# lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia              10518528  41 
    drm                   274432  3 nvidia

root@Eagle:~# glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
        GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, 

root@Eagle:~# pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #2:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    So as you see my card is not showing up when I run <pyrit list_cores> I am assuming that I need nvidia-cuda-toolkit but am stuck trying to install it when I do

Code:
    aptitude install nvidia-cuda-toolkit nvidia-opencl-icd
    then the installation complains about a previous install and will not finish. The nvidia driver is definitely installed and working. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

anything about ati graphic drivers?

awsome please google it or search in this forum for ati graphic cards driver "learning by doing"

I'm about to set up my Virtual Machine using VMWare. I have read a lot of threads about people having these issues with the lovely Nvidia GPUs and I understand it's a driver issue. Running a Kali on VM, will I encounter these problems as well? If need be I can switch to my CPU with Intels awesome built in graphics (total sarcasm).

Update: VM works on a GTX 980M so far. Will test and post results if anyone is interested.

Update: I just used this guide to get my laptop with dual GTX980m cards working.
    For fun I ran an cudaHashcat benchmark-

Code:
    Device #1: GeForce GTX 980M, 8191MB, 1126Mhz, 12MCU
    Device #2: GeForce GTX 980M, 8191MB, 1126Mhz, 12MCU

Hashtype: MD4
    Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel

Speed.GPU.#1.: 15339.6 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#2.: 15379.7 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#*.: 30719.3 MH/s

Hashtype: MD5

Speed.GPU.#1.:  7324.5 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#2.:  7348.8 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#*.: 14673.4 MH/s

Here is a sort of condensed version that I used...

I'm using: kali-linux-2.0-amd64 with NVIDIA-Linux-86_64-352.63

Update and Upgrade
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    Code:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname-r)
    Download latest NVIDIA driver

Move to terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1

Purge old drivers
    Code:
    apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-dkms
    Code:
    Code:
    Move to downloads folder
    Code:
    cd /root/Downloads
    Make executable
    Code:
    chmod +x <Your NVIDIA file name>
    Stop gdm3
    Code:
    service gdm3 stop
    Run the NVIDIA setup
    Code:
    ./<Your NVIDIA file name> -a
    Ignore warning about 32bit stuff

Accept xconfig notice

Start gdm3 and return to GUI
    Code:
    service gdm3 start
    Create blacklist file
    Code:
    nano /etc/modeprob.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    Add the following
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau
    Final updates
    Code:

NOTE: This was all learned following sihag's tutorial and all props go to him. I am not responsible for any issues or typos but will correct them as I learn about them
    Last edited by baazju; 2015-12-13 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by RageinHell View Post
    I'm about to set up my Virtual Machine using VMWare. I have read a lot of threads about people having these issues with the lovely Nvidia GPUs and I understand it's a driver issue. Running a Kali on VM, will I encounter these problems as well? If need be I can switch to my CPU with Intels awesome built in graphics (total sarcasm).
    Quote Originally Posted by RageinHell View Post
    Update: VM works on a GTX 980M so far. Will test and post results if anyone is interested.
    Sounds still good if runs somehow but still we would like to know what your complete build is so to suggest if any other measure will install Nvidia drivers.
    Am not good at VM as I used Bactrack on VM and that drove me away from linux.
    I am running an old graphics card and that do not have any supported cuda drivers so I will suggest you to install your cuda drivers only instead of installing Nvidia drivers as told in the guide. It might not install xconfig or it might but the drivers might install if you follow it correctly. If there is any step which is not clear or you get stuck please ask in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by baazju View Post
    NOTE: This was all learned following sihag's tutorial and all props go to him. I am not responsible for any issues or typos but will correct them as I learn about them
    Thanks @baazju for your humbleness and simplifying steps of the guide. I am assuming if only proper cuda drivers are installed for the relevant card the drivers should work. What do you think? (I don't have a Cuda supported graphics card)
    Might need some help (hardware suggestions) in near future for my new build.

Hi ,

i did forget to disable the nouveau driver before rebooting and now i do have the oops error how can i get the nouveau driver to get lost from that point?

im on usb live with persistance and cant reach the desktop help plz sniff

Quote Originally Posted by JapaneseNinja View Post
    Hi ,

i did forget to disable the nouveau driver before rebooting and now i do have the oops error how can i get the nouveau driver to get lost from that point?

im on usb live with persistance and cant reach the desktop help plz sniff
    Try this:-

# Start your pc with pen drive installation.
    # Once in the black screen
    # open TTY by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1

service gdm3 stop

#Edit this file now with any file manager (Nano or GVim) by opening TTY2.

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

# Copy paste or type these lines in the file:-

blacklist nouveau

#than back to TTY1

service gdm3 start

#Hope it helps your problem...
    Last edited by sihag; 2016-03-07 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by 1witness View Post
    I got the nvidia-340 driver loaded with this guide but it did fail on the first attempt because nouveau was still in use. I blacklisted nouveau and did a reboot then the installation went through. The only problem I have now is actually making use of the card.

Code:
    root@Eagle:~# lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia              10518528  41 
    drm                   274432  3 nvidia

root@Eagle:~# glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes

root@Eagle:~# pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #2:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    So as you see my card is not showing up when I run <pyrit list_cores> I am assuming that I need nvidia-cuda-toolkit but am stuck trying to install it when I do

Code:
    aptitude install nvidia-cuda-toolkit nvidia-opencl-icd
    then the installation complains about a previous install and will not finish. The nvidia driver is definitely installed and working. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
    Could you please try to install only the CUDA drivers for your card and not the NVIDIA drivers and than check? Or the CUDA drivers first than if it permits and if needed try to install NVIDIA drivers later.

i have the same tortured, more and less. I check and this happend because there is something wrong surrounded by the xorg.conf, by now installing he driver there were no xorg.conf, if you rename it wthis shackle will disapeard. But for me this right to use the showing off in for calculation problems because i have nvidia optimus a nothing accomplish right.

Been having some enormous issues when than getting the latest NVIDIA drivers on the go and your guide was resolute. Thank you!!!
    Life's Great!

Hey can u help me? I also have kali booted off my flash drive (with persistence) and i have nvidea graphics card Geforce 500 series.
    When i try to get the headers this is what happens

root@kali:~# apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64'

I have tried changing the repositories to default and i have done all the updates (including apt-get dist-upgrade)
    Even when i do all ur steps (i have treid the others too) this problem persists
    PLS help

Hello free people
    Can someone please help me with nvidia-driver problem?
    This is second time i have problem when installing nvidia-driver on Kali sana.
    1st time was over synaptic, 2nd over Kali site, step by step.
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
    sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    reboot
    Every time i can't go back on linux. When I reboot all i got is black screen, and if i boot in recovery mode, i get message "[ OK ] Starting LBS: thin ...script" without quotes. And then trying to solve something, but in basics I can't go back on Kali again.
    Can this be solved without installing OS again? Thank YOU

I've installed Kali Sana again. People, DO NOT ever install nvidia driver on Kali. Simply doesn't work together.
    Peace
    Last edited by zenmen; 2016-03-22 at 00:22.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmen View Post
    Hello free people
    Can someone please help me with nvidia-driver problem?
    This is second time i have problem when installing nvidia-driver on Kali sana.
    1st time was over synaptic, 2nd over Kali site, step by step.
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
    sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    reboot
    Every time i can't go back on linux. When I reboot all i got is black screen, and if i boot in recovery mode, i get message "[ OK ] Starting LBS: thin ...script" without quotes. And then trying to solve something, but in basics I can't go back on Kali again.
    Can this be solved without installing OS again? Thank YOU

I've installed Kali Sana again. People, DO NOT ever install nvidia driver on Kali. Simply doesn't work together.
    Peace
    Same problem here, man.
    It just looks impossible to install the nVidia drivers on the last Kali version (2016.1) by any meaning. Any guide I found on the internet is working for me.

Read the first post carefully and follow it.

Peeps who say they cannot get it working should read the first post thoroughly. Try a new install of kali 2.0 and do not try apt-get update prior to get your card working.
    PLEASE READ THE TUT CAREFULLY AND TRY TO FOLLOW THE STEPS and don't complain about it not working when you do not follow the steps given in the very first post.
    Zenmen I don't know how you assumed the steps for installing nvidia card but you haven't read the first post for sure, please try it first before posting and tell me if you get stuck.

Do post the log who remain unsuccessful.
    Last edited by sihag; 2016-06-19 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by baazju View Post
    Update: I just used this guide to get my laptop with dual GTX980m cards working.
    For fun I ran an cudaHashcat benchmark-

Code:
    Device #1: GeForce GTX 980M, 8191MB, 1126Mhz, 12MCU
    Device #2: GeForce GTX 980M, 8191MB, 1126Mhz, 12MCU

Hashtype: MD4

Speed.GPU.#1.: 15339.6 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#2.: 15379.7 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#*.: 30719.3 MH/s

Hashtype: MD5

Speed.GPU.#1.:  7324.5 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#2.:  7348.8 MH/s
    Speed.GPU.#*.: 14673.4 MH/s

Here is a sort of condensed version that I used...

I'm using: kali-linux-2.0-amd64 with NVIDIA-Linux-86_64-352.63

Update and Upgrade
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    Code:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname-r)
    Download latest NVIDIA driver

Move to terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1

Purge old drivers
    Code:
    apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-dkms
    Code:
    Code:
    Move to downloads folder
    Code:
    cd /root/Downloads
    Make executable
    Code:
    chmod +x <Your NVIDIA file name>
    Stop gdm3
    Code:
    service gdm3 stop
    Run the NVIDIA setup
    Code:
    ./<Your NVIDIA file name> -a
    Ignore warning about 32bit stuff

Accept xconfig notice

Start gdm3 and return to GUI
    Code:
    service gdm3 start
    Create blacklist file
    Code:
    nano /etc/modeprob.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    Add the following
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau
    Final updates
    Code:

followed the steps and X11 log says: No screen found. Any ideas?

Smile DKMS error

Quote Originally Posted by sihag View Post
    Do post the log who remain unsuccessful.

Hi

I tried this guide and hit these flaws:
    If trying to install before doing any updates, the 4.6 doesn't seem to be available when running: apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname-r)

I then ran the updates and the NVidia installer couldn't build DKMS.
    Another post I found somewhere suggested: apt-get install -y nvidia-support. It didn't for me though.

The version I have from Nvidia is 367, tried with 370 and 375 but they had exactly the same errors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

NVidia Log:

/usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-common/scripts/Makefile.build:294: recipe for target '/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o' failed
    make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o] Error 1
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-common/scripts/Makefile.build:294: recipe for target '/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o' failed
    make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o] Error 1
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-common/scripts/Makefile.build:294: recipe for target '/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o' failed
    make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Target '__build' not remade because of errors.
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-common/Makefile:1475: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel' failed
    make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz3429/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.57/kernel] Error 2
    make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-amd64'
    Makefile:150: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
    make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.7.0-kali1-common'
    Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    ERROR: The nvidia kernel module was not created.
    ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    Last edited by materangai; 2016-11-03 at 12:18. Reason: Added logs

You don't have to change the file name to something shorter... tab completion is your friend.

have the same problem installing nvidia geforce gtx 960m driver in my Dell 7559 using Kali Rolling. I did the same step indicated from the first post, still no good. I tried also installing legacy-340xx drivers from the repo, still failed. I'm stuck with "after login hang-up" issue. Please help

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ
    Laptop: Dell 7559
    OSes: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 10, Kali 2016 RC2

NVIDIA INSTALLER LOG
    Code:
    nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Tue Nov 22 05:28:47 2016
    installer version: 375.20

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

./nvidia-installer
        -a

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 375.20.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
    ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.  Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
    Last edited by projectrk; 2016-11-22 at 08:45.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrk View Post
    have the same problem installing nvidia geforce gtx 960m driver in my Dell 7559 using Kali Rolling. I did the same step indicated from the first post, still no good. I tried also installing legacy-340xx drivers from the repo, still failed. I'm stuck with "after login hang-up" issue. Please help

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ
    Laptop: Dell 7559
    OSes: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 10, Kali 2016 RC2

NVIDIA INSTALLER LOG
    Code:
    nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Tue Nov 22 05:28:47 2016
    installer version: 375.20

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

./nvidia-installer
        -a

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 375.20.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
    ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.  Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
    When did this error occurs? on which step precisely?

I had high hopes this would solve my issue, unfortunately this didn't work for me under latest kali with a GTX 1060 card.

Regardless of what I do I either get the black screen and have to TTY login or after renaming the config file to get to a login it instead brings me to an oops page where my login page would be. Only option I currently have is to purge the nvidia content & use the nouveau drivers. This is a serious bummer.

Not sure if the issue is due to Kali not being completely compatible with these newer cards or if it doesn't play nice when systems have both an intel card and gtx 1060 card. I don't think it's the latter as I've seen my same exact issue reported on various forums.

If anyone has the latest Kali build, integrated intel graphics card + the Nvidia GTX1060 card that has gotten it to work, you'd be a godsend right about now.

Thanks a LOT!!