Thread: Switching Between Desktop GTX 760 and Laptop Intel HD Graphics [Sana]

Switching Between Desktop GTX 760 and Laptop Intel HD Graphics [Sana]

Hi all,
    I know this may be a weird situation, but I need help with this. If this is in the wrong forum section, please move it.

I installed Kali 2.0 (with the default gdm3) to an external hard drive (for portability) and I want to use it on both my desktop and my laptop. Here's the thing: My desktop uses an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and my laptop uses the built-in graphics for my processor (Intel i5-520M). I installed the Nvidia drivers so that I can use Kali with my desktop, and they installed fine. However, I tried to boot with my laptop, and I get the blank screen and am forced to use the command line. I'm guessing that the problem is that I'm using the Nvidia drivers and not the built-in ones. Which brings me to my question:
    Is there a way for me to switch between using the intel drivers and the Nvidia ones, so that I can boot to a GUI from both my desktop and my laptop?

I am finding the way too ,

i also had this problem in switch to NVIDIA AND HD graphics .

if you would like to work well , you need to del Nvidia drivers which installed

Quote Originally Posted by RedAgent14 View Post
    Hi all,
    I know this may be a weird situation, but I need help with this. If this is in the wrong forum section, please move it.

I installed Kali 2.0 (with the default gdm3) to an external hard drive (for portability) and I want to use it on both my desktop and my laptop. Here's the thing: My desktop uses an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and my laptop uses the built-in graphics for my processor (Intel i5-520M). I installed the Nvidia drivers so that I can use Kali with my desktop, and they installed fine. However, I tried to boot with my laptop, and I get the blank screen and am forced to use the command line. I'm guessing that the problem is that I'm using the Nvidia drivers and not the built-in ones. Which brings me to my question:
    Is there a way for me to switch between using the intel drivers and the Nvidia ones, so that I can boot to a GUI from both my desktop and my laptop?

Update: The CPU in my desktop, being an Intel CPU (i5-4690k), has integrated graphics. So, some new questions from there:

1. Would I be able to use Bumblebee to achieve an Optimus-Esque state on my desktop?

2. If not, would I be able to use the CPU integrated graphics for display purposes and have the Nvidia GPU run for CUDA only?

3. This is a dangerous modification, but it's been done before: Is it possible to make a second grub.cfg file so that I have one grub.cfg for Nouveau and one for Nvidia? It's been done on other Debian distros, but Kali isn't a standard distro by any means, so I don't know if the grub configuration is the same as standard Debian (In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't).

4. Would it be more worth it to wait until Nouveau gets CUDA/a CUDA equivalent?

As a side note, the only reason I'm looking into CUDA is for faster cracking times, as almost every source I look at says that GPU > CPU for bruteforcing.

Hi I am also having the same problem as you. Installed AMD ATI fglrx drivers for my desktop AMD GPU. All is fine. However when I plug in usb persistence on my macbook, it shows a black screen with blinking cursor.
    Does anyone have a work around solution for this?