Thread: Kali 2.0 in virtualbox, ettercap lua: Lua: no scripts were specified, not starting up

Unhappy Kali 2.0 in virtualbox, ettercap lua: Lua: no scripts were specified, not starting up

I installed the kali2.0 in virtualbox, (actually, using the direct download of kali 2.0 virtualbox image from website), and when I run ettercap graphical, it prints message as below:

HTML Code:
    lua: Lua: no scripts were specified, not starting up!
    When I click host scan or whatever, it responses nothing. So, I am guessing this message must be the cause.

I googled, and find an issue post https://github.com/Ettercap/ettercap/issues/432 (discussed in 2013, a little old, so I figured the same issue must be fixed by now).

So, my question is, do I need to update the curl, patch the fix, and rebuild the ettercap as suggested in post, or this is due to other reasons? Anyone has a similar encounter as me?

Thanks

I'm having the same problem, but on a different setup. Running Kali 2016.1 freshly installed from the ISO image (no virtual machine). Tried installing on a pc and a laptop. Both resulting in the same Lua error.

Tried mitm attack on non-secure loginpages, but it's giving no result. Driftnet is spewing out images when I browse on another computer, so ettercap must be collecting data.

Downloading and going to install Kali 2 to test if it gives the same error.

If anyone has a possible solution for this error that would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
    Arthur