Thread: Is grub2win compatible with kali

Is grub2win compatible with kali

I am using windows 10 and I want to install Kali from the mounted iso file but I got an error message "This program doesn't support windows 6.2.9200 SPO yet" but this is the only way I can install OS on my pc ,so I sort other means and found grub2win but I don't know how to configure the grub.cfg file
    Pls any help would be appreciated

please explain little bit more what you are doing exactly, how you try to install it.
    what steps you perform?

Grub2win is used to create boot menu entry for linux distributions I came across the video I watched was for linux mint, after running grub2 from windows it creates a file called grub.cfg which is used to configure grub2 to install the os from an iso file
    In the video the following lines where added to the grub.cfg file for installing linux mint "menuentry "Linux Mint" {
    set isofile="/linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-32bit.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }" so I figured this configuration won't work for kali since it's not the same I replace "linuxmint…. 32.iso with the location of my kali iso file but it didn't work
    So I was hopeing if someone know what's going on, to give the neccessary help because I want to migrate to linux but I am not familiar with it I was hoping to learn more about it using it on my old laptop before I install on my pc

ok. everything what you wrote and watch just forget.
    first to install any Linux including Kali on computer with Windows installed you need just those steps.
    1.) shrink windows partition from windows disk management console
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../gg309169.aspx
    leave this space like this - unpartition
    2.prepare boot usb/dvd for kali
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    (if you want other Linux just find how to make boot media)
    3. install Kali
    in installation you will be asked to install grub (at the end of process) and install it on dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    ok. everything what you wrote and watch just forget.
    first to install any Linux including Kali on computer with Windows installed you need just those steps.
    1.) shrink windows partition from windows disk management console
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../gg309169.aspx
    leave this space like this - unpartition
    2.prepare boot usb/dvd for kali
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    (if you want other Linux just find how to make boot media)
    3. install Kali
    in installation you will be asked to install grub (at the end of process) and install it on dev/sda
    Well if we lived in a world of "perfect" then this would work.. However, possessing that same issue as the OP, although different means of installing, I too cannot add GRUB from the live install, the install from the initial Kali os boot screen, OR from installing within windows 10.

Background =
    Machine is an HP Pavilion G7 with packetinj. out of the box(mine anyways..)
    AMD core and A8 Graphics....yada yada unimportant ish.....

The installed os out of the box was Windows 8. However, I blew it away and put Win10Ent. on the machine. I did no special installs in UEFI, even though the BIOS(hint I said BIOS) supports UEFI booting and installing. No fastboot and hotkey delay is at 0. Legacy support is enabled and Secure Boot disabled. I have 160gb of unpartitioned or initialized space I wanted to install Kali on. I boot into LIVE and make sure the partition is still recognized in GParted,and all is well.. SO I initiate the install via the System menu and it auto-parts the partition and installs Kali fine. When I get to the Mirrors part is when I hit issues. Not a single mirror will resolve for me. I check my internet by....using the internet, and I am having no errors or issues, esp. with DNS. So that is problem number one I am seeing. IDK if the OP had those issues as well??? If I skip mirrors, I then go to GRUB install where it kicks back an error that GRUB cannot be installed to /target/ - whatever the "target" is and wherever the target flag was set..... I then skip it and go to LILO with another non-install.. I say F it and go forward and I get "Bootloader not installed..blah blah... You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition /dev/dsa5 and root=/dev/sda5 passed as kernel argument..." This last message is why I am posting here.. After I installed Grub2WIN as a hopeful alternative for the failed native install, I noticed that When I was trying to add Kali into the menu, I noticed some of the special code that was similar to what the Native Install error was telling me to do IE: boot commands and arguments. However, on the menu there is no "Linux" or "Kali" options. There are flavors of Linux listed like Debian and others... And I know Kali is built off of debian.. But I didn't recognize any of the commands and didn't know what to edit... I have a feeling that If I enter the commands that Kali told me to, somewhere within the Grub2Win OS setup screen, I can get this to work. But which flavor do I tell GRUB2WIN and how exactly would the command be with the information that the OS presented to me which I have then told you all?? The OP will need this information as well...

My BIOS is Insyde F.26 2/21/2013

GRUB installed to 0,1 same as WIN10...

Thanks in advance!

J5

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyf1v3 View Post
    Well if we lived in a world of "perfect" then this would work.. However, possessing that same issue as the OP, although different means of installing, I too cannot add GRUB from the live install, the install from the initial Kali os boot screen, OR from installing within windows 10.

Background =
    Machine is an HP Pavilion G7 with packetinj. out of the box(mine anyways..)
    AMD core and A8 Graphics....yada yada unimportant ish.....

The installed os out of the box was Windows 8. However, I blew it away and put Win10Ent. on the machine. I did no special installs in UEFI, even though the BIOS(hint I said BIOS) supports UEFI booting and installing. No fastboot and hotkey delay is at 0. Legacy support is enabled and Secure Boot disabled. I have 160gb of unpartitioned or initialized space I wanted to install Kali on. I boot into LIVE and make sure the partition is still recognized in GParted,and all is well.. SO I initiate the install via the System menu and it auto-parts the partition and installs Kali fine. When I get to the Mirrors part is when I hit issues. Not a single mirror will resolve for me. I check my internet by....using the internet, and I am having no errors or issues, esp. with DNS. So that is problem number one I am seeing. IDK if the OP had those issues as well??? If I skip mirrors, I then go to GRUB install where it kicks back an error that GRUB cannot be installed to /target/ - whatever the "target" is and wherever the target flag was set..... I then skip it and go to LILO with another non-install.. I say F it and go forward and I get "Bootloader not installed..blah blah... You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition /dev/dsa5 and root=/dev/sda5 passed as kernel argument..." This last message is why I am posting here.. After I installed Grub2WIN as a hopeful alternative for the failed native install, I noticed that When I was trying to add Kali into the menu, I noticed some of the special code that was similar to what the Native Install error was telling me to do IE: boot commands and arguments. However, on the menu there is no "Linux" or "Kali" options. There are flavors of Linux listed like Debian and others... And I know Kali is built off of debian.. But I didn't recognize any of the commands and didn't know what to edit... I have a feeling that If I enter the commands that Kali told me to, somewhere within the Grub2Win OS setup screen, I can get this to work. But which flavor do I tell GRUB2WIN and how exactly would the command be with the information that the OS presented to me which I have then told you all?? The OP will need this information as well...

My BIOS is Insyde F.26 2/21/2013

GRUB installed to 0,1 same as WIN10...

Thanks in advance!

J5
    1 r f1xz0rd 1t m3h s3lfz0rz

FTR:
    in the menu config of grub2win add a 'Other' OS
    Edit custom code
    #X is the respective partition and drives

set root=(hdX,msdosX) <----- That is a major key,...and hardly any guides if any, mention it.
    linux /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda5 ro root=/dev/sda5 <----Yes, twice
    initrd /boot/initrd.img

Save and apply...

This will successfully allow you to dual-boot Win10Ent(or any flavor) and Kali1.1 64bit without UEFI on a UEFI/BIOS hybrid board....

Might want to add this to a sticky....