Thread: VERY Slow Kali - Runs fine Live

VERY Slow Kali - Runs fine Live

O.K. I realize a lot of you are going to tell me "Kali is only supposed to run Live"

However I want to run it off my HD - That way I dont have to enter a USB stick every time I boot into it, I also want to save files downloaded and packages installed. This way I don't have to reinstall and reupdate every time I boot into it. I also run out of space when I run txt files of passwords. Many of which can be upwards of 8 gigs a piece easily.

Here is my problem :

When I installed Kali on my HD it is running EXTREMELY slow. I mean really slow. My processors and memory are sufficient. When I run it off Windows in a VM with half of my processing power and memory it is slick. Also when I run it off a Live USB stick which gives me full power to my CPU, memory, etc.

However for some reason once fully installed it is very and I mean very laggy.

Does anyone have any idea why ? Maybe some information I could copy and paste or settings I could alter ?

I ran top and my load was very load - I believe 0.3 and CPU and memory used were very low as well when running top.

Edit : When I run pyrit benchmark I am getting same speed as when run it under a VM. so it just seems to be the Graphical Mode (New Desktop) for Version 2.0
    Last edited by lanane; 2015-09-20 at 04:02.

Searching this website didn't give me any results here, however searching Google did. Here is how to solve the problem - I found the answer on another thread here :

It seems apt-get install xfce4

Does improve performance but it's still not as solid as Kali 1.X was ...

I'm running Quad 2.X with 4 Gigs of Ram - My computer is not 4 years old (as OP was) and while it isn't i5 or better qith a quad processor it should be able to handle the load, especially with the figures I posted above. It also has a 1GB graphics card. Not a premium computer but should be more than sufficient for any Linux Distro.

Maybe this should be moved to bugs section and looked into ?