Thread: Apt-get upgrade, Insufficient Disk Space

Apt-get upgrade, Insufficient Disk Space

Hello,

I am playing around with Kali 2.0 64bit on a few Live USBs and am coming up with some errors when trying to update it.

When I try to install the updates it eventually tells me I have run out of space.

Using GParted and fiddling, I've realized that the default install sets the partitions at a certain size.

That would have been all fine and dandy if I could resize the partition to allow more space and then update and/or install more packages, but unfortunately not.

The install formats the partition as FAT16, which seems is limited to a certain size. So, let's try to bypass the default install and format and install the ISO using something like Universal USB Install (UUI) so I can have it formatted to FAT32, which should allow for a larger partition.

With UUI finished and attempting to boot to the new FAT32 USB of Kali 2.0 64bit it simply doesn't seem to be seen as having a bootable system on it and goes to the default OS on HDD, even when I try to force boot from BIOS to the USB it doesn't register.

So, I am looking to get help with increasing the size of the install partition, either pre- or post-install, so I can install at least updates, if not the Kali All Metapackage, which is my goal.

Thank you.

first i did not realize what you trying to accomplish.
    second you use wrong method (Universal USB Install) to make boot usb
    thirdly read those posts
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Kali-2-0-error

Thank you for the response, but I must apologize for my slight lack of detail.

I supposed I should have been more thorough by mentioning that I already correctly created two live USBs of Kali 2.0 already. The first using the Win 32 Imager, the second using the first live Kali OS to use 'dd'. So, that is not the issue.

And to attempt to clarify what I am trying to accomplish, I am trying to find a way to give myself more space on my Kali install. I am trying to do this because when I try to update or install anything it runs out of space due to only have about 4 GB allotted to itself, with most of that already taken up.

Thank you again, I hope to have cleared up some of the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Lost King View Post
    And to attempt to clarify what I am trying to accomplish, I am trying to find a way to give myself more space on my Kali install. I am trying to do this because when I try to update or install anything it runs out of space due to only have about 4 GB allotted to itself, with most of that already taken up.

Thank you again, I hope to have cleared up some of the confusion.
    are you trying to install it on usb or hdd? 4GB for kali ?!?!?

Le Lost King , I know what you're talking about. I'm having the same problem. To clarify, for those who might be able to help, the issue is that if you follow the instructions on Kali's live usb install page (http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install) you end up with only limited space for the installation. As Kali is installed, two partitions are created: the first is a 3 Gb hidden HPFS / NTFS boot partition. The second is a 79 Mb FAT 16 partition.

If you try to update the Kali install later on, you run out of space because of the small partitions created during the installation. There's no way to give yourself more space because you can't change the size of the partitions. Gparted says you simply can't on the 3G partition (and I assume it would destroy Kali to edit that partition), while using Gparted to enlarge the FAT 16 partition gives an error. So, even if you have lots of space left on the disk, Kali still says it runs out of space when trying to update.

Any thoughts on how to give Kali more space during the initial install? I assume there's some way to do it with a custom .iso, but that's a bit out of my depth.

Doesn't seem like the apt-get upgrade adds anything to the first two partitions, it all goes in the persistence drive, I've tried expanding the persistence drive after booting into Kali with persistence but doesn't seem to register the expanded space. The upgrade as of this time took up 10.1GB of space so just make sure your persistence drive has plenty of room to start.
    Last edited by lucylulu; 2017-02-23 at 18:22. Reason: experience update