Thread: please help me get my network settings configured

please help me get my network settings configured

Hello,

I am really frustrated... first, the INVALID post I made initally was deleted... or at least I do not see it, and I just made another one, and I dont see it either cause i was logged out... from writing the post. So please bare with me as I may be a lil tested at this point.

I have a valid issue and wish to address a "friendly community" about it. I wish to only resolve this issue and move on. Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!

I have installed a live version of Kali 2.0 on my ASUS R510D laptop running win 8.1, using VMWare as a VM machine. I have 8 gig ram, 2.5 gig cpu, quad core AMD A 10 with a HD radeon 8670M 2 GB dedicated gpu. I am running a Panda pauo5 wifi USB adapter that has the Ralink RT3070 Chipset installed. I believe those are all the specs you need to best understand my hardware, if not please ask in a reply? and I will update asap for you! thank you

My issue is i dont see my panda card once I type ifconfig in the termial. I can get Kali up and running and my VMWare setting are set to bridge the connection, replicate physical network connection state enabled, and in config adapters, only the ralink usb wifi card is enabled.

In Kali, I only see two connections in the network settings, one for wired, one for network proxy. I am basically stuck at this point. I am searching for MORE guides in pdf or whatever form to help, but Im running thin now. I have watched several youtube guides and such and I am doing all I know how. or have been shown how. So I need to ask specifically, to my issue. I appreciate the help guys I really do! Im looking forward to learning Linux and stepping away from windows and all that ****. Im a beginner and know very little about computers, but in general, I have operated them for over 15 years, and have a basic understanding how hardware works, I can overclock... for example, I just dont code or do anything specialized, yet.

In fact, recently I have been strongly motivated to learn more, and take some computer science classes in college. Which I have been watching free MIT open ware on YT, along with Eli the computer guy and others.... to help me get up to speed with basics.

It is nice to see that somebody is "strongly motivated" for learning. I am always support this! (not only for computer science)
    but I will be a little ironic, no hard feeling. If you are really strongly motivated as you told, you should solve this problem alone !!!
    This is "strongly motivated", but on the other side this is lot of reading, examine and make your own conclusions.

ok. lets go to your problem. I don't know why is that happen.
    first how many network adapters you have on laptop and
    which one you use for bridge mode in vmwire?
    second did you install vmwire tools and did you
    properly configured usb in vmwire?
    at the end I also suggested you to move from vmwire and install
    Kali on your computer as dual boot. You will learn better and faster
    have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    It is nice to see that somebody is "strongly motivated" for learning. I am always support this! (not only for computer science)
    but I will be a little ironic, no hard feeling. If you are really strongly motivated as you told, you should solve this problem alone !!!
    This is "strongly motivated", but on the other side this is lot of reading, examine and make your own conclusions.

ok. lets go to your problem. I don't know why is that happen.
    first how many network adapters you have on laptop and
    which one you use for bridge mode in vmwire?
    second did you install vmwire tools and did you
    properly configured usb in vmwire?
    at the end I also suggested you to move from vmwire and install
    Kali on your computer as dual boot. You will learn better and faster
    have a nice day!
    Thank you for your input. and for the record, I am doing this... by myself, with the guidance of a few of those that choose to contribute. Im pretty young with computers, so I am doing the best I can, and I admit, I know nothing so please to the issue at hand. I greatly appreciate your time and contribution as well, thank you! I will do my best to deliver the best information to you, so who ever you are, can assist me, as you have so chosen. Also, I will be clear and specific as best I can.

1. I have a few adapters in my laptop, Im looking in Windows in the device manager and I see:

Realtek pcie gbe family controller (disabled)
    standard wireless lan card (disabled)
    Panda wireless usb wifi adapter (only one enabled atm)

also though since i installed virtual box and vmware (because Im new, ive never used either of them, idk which one would work, but i got them both installed and running, one at a time obviously)

virtualbox host only ethernet adapter (tried enabled and disabled)
    vmware virtual ethernet adapter for vmnet1 (tried enabled and disabled)
    vmware virtual ethernet adapter for vmnet8 (tried enabled and disabled)

I have attempted to shut all adapters down, except the panda adapter. That is the wifi card that will enable me to monitor networks, so I disabled the rest as they wont be used. The exception ofc is the three adapters created by the VM softwares I have installed. Which I admit, I dont know if they should be enabled or disabled at this point. Ive tried both with no success as a result, but that may be because of my settings are not correct else where ofc.

In windows, network settings, I can bridge networks, which I have little experience with, but I did manage to bridge the panda adapter, to both, vmware and virtual box virtual adapters shown in the windows network settings window at that time. I attempted, one at a time, to start each of the vm machines and played around with network settings some, but could not get them to connect to the net, or even show wifi in linux. (prolly need wifi driver in linux)

To simply answer your first question, i am showing 6 network adapters, one of which, the panda wifi usb adapter, is the one i want to connect everything thru. and I attempted to bridge the panda wifi adapter to each of the network adapters both of the virtual machines created.

2. simply, no... I did not know if that was an ad if what. both of the softwares seem to be a trial version... and it wants me to pay for an updated version or dl something I was not entirely sure about, so I hesitated till I asked someone with more experience.

When I try to set usb to 3.0... which is prolly why linus isnt showing my wifi card? along with driver? (I was told I wouldnt need a driver from the manufacturer for win 10 or kali linux 2.0 but they sent them anyway) ... it says, you need updated version to use usb 2.0 or 3.0... as well. so I felt maybe I shouldnt DL anything yet. and ask. I do the reading that I can, but not everyone has the same setup or problem, it can be difficult to find someone else's forum post on an issue that identical to mine.

3. the last issue here, is the boot location. Ive tried to get linux on my usb to install but windows seems to have issues with this. Ive then burnt the iso to a cd. and again in VM softwares, Im having issues getting the install to complete outside of the live install. Im not sure why this is. I did get my linux from authorized distributor, and I have all the drivers up to date, I do have net connection, but Im not able to update linux... I could install the vmware or virtual box tools or update and try again...

I keep reading and keep finding many issues people have had to deal with, seems like just little things that are common to the everyday linux user, or savy computer guy, but frankly Im neither of them. lol...

So to clarify my understanding perhaps someone can easily take a few seconds to answer a few questions I have?
    1. Do I need to use the virtual networks, should the be enabled in the windows device manager? (listed in 1.)

2. Has anyone had to install this panda wifi adapter driver into linux?

3. I need to get around the live install, and get dual boot running. I can get into my bios, force from the cd or usb, but when it restarts, the screen is black and sits there, it wont load to install... Ive found a few guides online to help with dual boot install kali onto win 8.1... has anyone got one they recommend and have used themselves? I will attempt again, for like the tenth time.

4. so my ignorant understand of this is, my computer creates a vm, but those both need to communicate to each other, then they can communicate to the outside networks,... is this correct? I should be able to ping my wifi on my computer form inside the vm once i get this sorted, correct?

Thanks again for the help guys! this is kinda frustrating at this point, ive already received a few warnings for not presenting my posts accordingly, or there was adouble post cause one was deleted, i made another, then that didnt show so i made another... i mean im a little upset about the difficulty it is to just get some guidance here, so please understand from my shoes, Im rather humble but I just need some guidance, I dont need to be picked on or picked at, cause something is perfect... I just want to get my issue resolved, and not fight anyone who expects perfection. Im a perfectionist enough myself. realistically, i think its just unnecessary. If it continues I can ask another community. I just kinda liked the looks of this forum and it was number one on google results. I already admit Im not a computer guy... that doesnt mean im an idiot and need to poked, my issues with computers are complex enough as it is lol. thanks :P

You have to examine some things by yourself and make your own conclusions. I will give you
    just some hints how to do it.
    First put your Panda wi fi card away from your laptop
    Then enable all networks adapter in windows and only one for internet (Realtek pcie or standard wireless)
    connect and verify that you have internet on windows system
    Then start vmwire with Kali and try to connect with IceWease browser to internet
    on this point you have to investigate by yourself what you need.
    do you need that adapter which windows use to be in bridged mode with vmwire or not
    This is a first task you should solve.
    When you establish internet on vmwire then you can take you Panda wifi adapter and
    put it in one of usb port. wait few seconds to see is adapter recognized by vmwire.
    If it is not then your usb setting for vmwire is wrong. make changes.
    if it is everything ok then "iwconfig" will list your adapter.

Answers for your questions
    1.)investigate it. it is easy.
    2.) read this from http://www.pandawireless.com/
    Linux Compatible
    Our wireless cards are plug and play on Ubuntu, Fedora, and many more distros!
    They also support monitor and promiscuous mode,
    so you BackTrackers can sniff and inject to your heart's delight.
    3.) read carefully post here on forum. you have a solution for this.
    4.) make your own conclusion

it will be nice that your next post be that you successful solve all of this !
    and hope this is helpful for you.

Here's more detail about my current situation :

I have an ASUS laptop computer with Windows 8.1 installed. I installed the Virtual Box (just updated today to the newest version) on my laptop. In the virtual machine, I have installed linux, kali version, and can get it to boot fine. The stock wifi card in my laptop works fine in windows and linux.

I purchased a USB wifi adapter, a Panda pau05 with the chipset RT3070
    http://www.wirelesshack.org/kali-lin...b-adapters.htm
    ralink adapter
    vendor id: 148f
    product id: 5372
    chipset RT3070

I got this USB adapter because not only is it recommended for kali, but it was within my budget, and its low-profile appeal will be most beneficial. This USB adapter works great in Windows. No drivers needed, says the manufacturer, for either windows or kali linux.

I have been watching youtube tutorials, reading online forum guides, and even had a friend try to help met get the VM configured correctly. But I am not doing something(s) right... So I decided to come here and make an account and post my issues, to see if someone here more experienced can help me get past it.

I have a little background with computers, I am not a programmer. I have searched for everything I could think of. I have tried multiple configurations in kali and VB, with no luck...

I have my settings as follows:

VB 5.0.4 r102546 updated this morning. with no change in behavior from previous version. But I could get the OS KALI to run.

General:
    In Virtual Box I have the OS, Kali Linux installed, no more virtual install, it is installed on a virtual drive and Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x(64bit) boots fine. I have shared clipboard enabled for bidirectional and drag n drop for bidirectional, so in case I want to share text between the host and client. No encryption selected.

System:
    boot order is floppy, optical, hard disc. (network is not ticked as recommended via Youtube tutorial) not sure if this needs to be selected... seems like it should but I have no luck either way.
    3 gigs of ram
    2 of my 4 cores for processing
    enabled i/o apic
    disabled efi
    hardware clock in utc time enabled
    enabled pae/nx
    hardware visualization is both enabled

Display:
    128mb video ram
    1 monitor
    scale set to 100%
    3d acceleration enabled

Storage:
    nominal settings, 20 GB hard drive set on a virtual disc image... as default settings.

Audio:

Network:
    Here is where Im lost...
    I have the default enabled, enabled network adapter, attached to NAT (default settings, cable attached)

(I have tried multiple settings here and could use a little help here... )
    I have tried it on bridged, with my usb wifi in windows bridged with the VB Ethernet adapter) and I have tried two network adapters, one NAT as stock settings, and the second with the bridged settings, in this case I have the wireless usb adapter attached to the bridge adapter, UNDER ADVANCED > I select the stock Intel 1000 mt desktop, allow all promiscuous mode, mac address default, cable connected.

Serial Ports:
    default, nothing selected.

USB:
    usb 2.0 selected, even though i have usb 3.0 ... Ive tried both actually... and Ive used both 2.0 and 3.0 usb slots. on either configuration...
    Today I caught on to a video tutorial, that claims I should set a filter... I have spent a few hours today messing about with those settings, but no luck. ATM there is no filter.

That is pretty much it I think.... That I need to mention...

In linux. with the stock wifi, I have updated Kalli with updates.
    Virtual Box does need an extension pack for the USB 2.0 or 3.0 and I got that installed as well, long ago. but no luck with the usb wifi card working...

IN KALI:

I can access the web with the stock wifi card built into the laptop. When I disable that stock wifi, and ENABLE the USB adapter, I can see the option to plug in the adapter in the lower right, usb icon, but it wont allow me to plug in, it is busy with another operation.

I have read the guides here and on KALI forums, but I feel Im a bit over my head and just need to ask for assistance. please be patient with me, I have no formal teaching, or schooling on computers. Im a learn it yourself kind of guy... but I just cant seem to get past this hurdle.

I feel... from the behavior of my USB and network settings in windows, when I turn on windows, my usb wifi works. I start VB and get the VM kali os running, my usb wifi disables itself...

In windows I have tried to bridge the only VB network card available with my USB wifi adapter, and tried it without the bridge... same result. the USB wifi disables itself and I have to actually restart windows to get the USB to enable itself, even if i close the VM...

I have watched a video where the tutor goes into etc/netowrk-managment conf file and edits false to true... I have no response...

I would love to get this up and running, I dont want to use any adapters except my usb for kali... so I can monitor mode and try to penetrate my own network at home. If I have missed important data that you need, to better understand the issue, please politely mention so in a reply. thank you for taking YOUR time out of your day to read this lengthly post. please help me.
    Last edited by haken29a; 2015-11-06 at 22:41.

if you have 16gb USB stick read this
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem
    and install Kali on USB, rather then having problems with Virtual Box and Kali. You have 50% of process completed.
    btw your problem could be related with some extra drivers for V-box or some extra setting in Windows and V-box.
    i don't know what it it could be exactly.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum