Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Testers Wanted] New application/installation (feedback)

[Testers Wanted] New application/installation (feedback)

Greetings,

Let me caveat this by starting out that user fattire helped with writing this description/break down below, so big thanks to him. He also helped a lot with rewriting the application to update it to lollipop and the new chroot download/manager.

I am looking for feedback on a new install method/application update. I've switched the installer to aroma and if you are into the Android/XDA community you probably have heard of it. If you haven't its a graphical GUI that lets you pick what is installed onto your device. This is considered unofficial and I'm open to hear your thoughts concerns. Any developers out there are free to join in the kernel party...

OVERVIEW

We've been cooking up the 2.1 version of Nethunter (NH) for a few months now. Once it's fully released, we hope 2.1 will make NH a LOT simpler to install, use, and port to many devices. Here are some of the benefits over the 2.0 version:

* As of 2.1, Nethunter installations are *no longer distributed as a gigantic full ROM image*! Instead, NH can be installed as a traditional "update.zip" recovery install file "on top" of ANY rooted version of standard Android such as CyanogenMod, AOSP, etc.

* The update.zip that installs nethunter is now about 4% size-wise of what it was. Think like 40 MB vs. 1 GB. And much of that is optional third-party stuff like the Hackers Keyboard.

* Once the NH update.zip is installed, YOU get to choose which Kali "metapackage" to install in your chroot, and it's installed (and kept current) via the normal kali apt-get system.

* Porting Nethunter to other devices just got SUPER EASY as I'll explain below.

There's a more detailed summary of 2.1 changes way down at the end....

QUICK INSTALLATION STEPS

You will need:

* A rooted Android device w/unlocked bootloader (CyanogenMod, AOSP, etc. works in many cases)
    * TWRP Recovery for your device. Maybe ClockworkMod would work too. You tell us.

It would be great to also have:

* An On-The-Go (OTG) cable ($5)
    * A supported USB wifi adapter ($10-$40) for monitor mode aircrack-ish stuff.
    * An idea of how to use TWRP to install update.zip files. If not, google it

So! Here's whatcha do:

1. Grab the appropriate Nethunter beta update.zip for your device from here:

|================================================= ===================================
    | SHA1 | Links for ANDROID 5.1
    |======================================== | =========================================
    ** LINKS ARE CURRENTLY DISABLED WHILE WE REVIEW/FIX APP BASED ON FEEDBACK. WILL UPDATE SOON! **

Make sure the file is available on your device somewhere you can find it in TWRP (such as external storage).

2. Boot into TWRP, and install the update-nethunter-yourdevice.zip, selecting any additional apps or options in the menu system. When done, restart the device.

3. Launch the Nethunter app, go to the Chroot Manager, install your Chroot, and follow the instructions. (If you've previously installed an older version of Nethunter, you will *hopefully* be given the option to migrate that installation to its new location. You can choose to do that-- or, if you want to start fresh, that's fine too.)

Anytime you want to update the Kali 2.0 chroot packages, just do it from the Chroot Manager.

SO HANG ON-- EXPLAIN AGAIN WHAT'S NEW HERE IN 2.1 EXACTLY...?

Right. Aside from the 3rd party keyboards and such, there are only TWO major components of the new Nethunter installer:

(1) The Nethunter app (the APK), which is generic to all devices and sets up the chroot
    (2) the device-specific kernel (zImage or zImage-dtb)
    Last edited by binkybear; 2015-10-11 at 03:59. Reason: remove links for now

(1) THE NETHUNTER.APK APP

Starting in 2.1, the Nethunter.apk app is responsible for grabbing a base Kali 2.0 image and installing it as a chroot. In other words, when you say "install the chroot" in the Chroot Manager, it will grab a 80MB -or-so base image, authenticate/extract it, and bam, you've got a minimal kali system. At that point, it'll guide you to installing the extra kali packages you want and help keep it up to date via the normal kali apt packaging system.

The location of the chroot is new too-- it's now stored in the Nethunter.app's local storage area, so if you ever want to get rid of it, do this through the app. NH 2.1 reboots, uninstalls the chroot, it's all gone, and you get all your storage space back. Yay! (At least, this is all how it's *supposed* to work. It's in beta, remember?)

(2) THE CUSTOM NETHUNTER-ESQUE KERNEL

Aside from the new Nethunter.apk app file, the other big thing you need to run Nethunter in all its glory (porters, pay attention here!) is a custom kernel. The reason for this is that most phones and tablets have wifi chips that do NOT allow wifi to go into "monitor" mode, which is needed for collecting low-level WPA and WEP activity that is often used for testing the security of wireless networks.

The solution to this is to use that OTG cable and external wifi adapter mentioned earlier. You were wondering what that was for, huh? Well, now you know. And to support that, your kernel is going to need some help to be built-in.

So, if you want to port Nethunter.apk to a NEW device-- you'll want a kernel packaged into a boot image for that device that has been built with the nethunter patches. What patches are those? Start with the kernel source for your device, then head here:

https://github.com/offensive-securit...ing-the-Kernel

When you've got a kernel and boot image you know works with the latest version of the Nethunter.apk, you *should* (again, beta folks) be able to package it all up into an update-nethunter-yourdevice.zip with a nice aroma-based interactive installer and everything-- in fact there's a repository of scripts that will create that for you, and the source for that is right here:

https://github.com/binkybear/AnyKernel2

AnyKernel2 does most of the hard work for you. It pulls out the old kernel, shoves in the new one. Doesn't even change the ramdisk... you end up with the installer, and as far as anyone needs to know you did it all by hand.

SO WAIT-- THE NETHUNTER INSTALLER IS NOW BASICALLY JUST AN INSTALLER FOR AN APK AND A KERNEL?

Yep. Pretty much. Since the app itself sets up the chroot, it's tiny and more device-independent now, and there's no need for anything else in the ROM except root to make it all work.

If you've ever built AOSP, CyanogenMod, or another ROM for your device, it shouldn't be too hard to make a nethunter installation update.zip to your device. Then people who have your device will think you are cool. And let's face it, you will be.

SO THEN TO MAKE MY OWN PORT OFFICIAL...

If you want to make your Nethunter installer part of the official Nethunter set of installers, you'll need to pass the source back to me, binkybear. I'll have to audit it carefully and get the community for your device involved to make sure it meets our rigorous quality-controls, build it, and add it. Like Juan Valdez who carefully picks every bean himself, we will sell no wine before its time.

But yeah, we would love to have contributions from the community, and the floodgates are kind of open now for Nethunter update.zips for every device.

If some changes are needed to the installer or to Nethunter to make the port easier/better/smoother please submit whatever you think might help.

I'm on freenode IRC in #nethunter by the way. Stop by and say hi. Just don't blame me for anything. I (probably) didn't do it.

WHAT IF I WANT NETHUNTER PORTED TO MY PHONE BUT I'M NOT A PATHETIC NERD AND HAVE A LIFE?

If you have a device that does not yet have Nethunter 2.1 available and you're, uh, not clear how to create an installer yourself-- talk to a maintainer for a ROM for your device. Once they see it's basically patch-the-kernel-to-make-a-boot-image, then package-it-up-with-the-apk... it shouldn't take them too long.

SO JUST TO BE CLEAR-- YOU'RE SAYING I CAN I INSTALL THESE OVER *ANY* ROOTED ROM?

So the kernels included with the Nethunter update.zip files were with AOSP (stock) ROMs in mind. It may not work over all CM roms at the moment. CM Kernels are in the works.

CAN I INSTALL THIS IF I ALREADY HAVE AN OLDER VERISON OF NETHUNTER INSTALLED?

Yes, it *should* detect your old chroot and move it to correct location. However, this has not been fully tested, and I don't recommend trying it unless you feel comfortable doing this and living with the consequences, which could include the deaths of millions.

WAIT- EXPLAIN **ONE MORE TIME**-- WHY ALL THE CHANGES?

The old method we were using required building full rom images constantly that took a lot of time and resulted in hideously gigantic files. The new method decreases build time, keeps the chroot up to date, and is also easier to port to new devices since the only a few modificaitons need to be made to AnyKernel2 build script.

BUT WHEN I LAUNCH KALI SHELL NOTHING HAPPENS!!!

Try closing the terminal window. There's a weird bug in Terminal, where you need to manually close them to get a new pending one to start up.

WHAT IF I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE OR QUESTION?

Email me at [email protected] or leave a comment here. Issues with the app itself can be made to: https://github.com/offensive-security/nethunter-app

Again-- IRC. freenode. #nethunter

CAVEATS, DISCLAIMERS, AND OTHER OBSERVATION

Finally, please read and agree to the GPL and other licenses as it pertains to the software, and familiarize yourself with the disclaimers, terms, and caveats within.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES IN 2.1 BETA 1
    * Installer
    - Uses AROMA installer which allows for selection of applicaitons during install process
    - Cavaeat, OnePlus One does not support AROMA in TWRP so we install everything.
    - Now using AnyKernel2 to install all kernels. We don't touch ramdisk at all.
    - Includes SuperSU and Busybox so you don't have to download
    - Checks for Busybox first before trying to overwrite

* Application
    - Fattire and Jmingov have made large changes to the application to include:
    - Kali Chroot is now downloaded inside application
    - Kali Chroot can be installed at a minimal ~100mb file system with no packages (if that's)
    - Packages are installed through application providing latest updates
    - All scripts are contained within application itself, no more installing scripts to /system and /sdcard
    - Changes to UI bring it up to date with Lollipop

* Kernels
    - OnePlus One and Nexus 7 (2013) no more reboot when external wifi is unplugged!!!!!!

will download and let you know!! android 4.4.0 so using nexus 5 image

ShenLun - I should have been a bit more clear, these are for Android 5.1 only.

N5 // Stock Android

Installed it // Had some difficulties with the chroot install after download "access denied" // I think it was executing before SuperSU granted access // After clicking around it installed and updated properly.

Current issue is that it does not detect my external wifi card // it did on the previous version of nethunter.

I see that discipuloosho released a new ElementalX-N5-Nethunter // tried to flash this one and see if the wireless card would be detected but my noob powers are too high and was not able to compile it

Nexus 5
    Stock android 5.1
    ----------------------------------
    external wifi no detected
    htc_9721.fw firmware not being copied
    error after install "/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]:syntax error: 'fi' unexpected"
    ----------------------------------
    Optional apps during installation are no being installed ie. Hackers keyboard, Drive droid, etc.
    I saw that there is also an option for firmware installation, it might be failing same as these apps are.

Nexus 5
    Stock android 5.1
    old Nethunter installation
    ------------
    Installing Apps
    Stuck at 40% creating free space

By chance are there any Roms that do not have Google and all of its useless and invasive apps pre installed that would be compatible with the update?
    I tried with cyanogenmod rom just to see what happens. nethunter and the other tools all installed but the os was extremely slow.

Thank you for feedback. Some of the issues i've seen so far (main issue) is running out of /system space so not everything is being copied over. So what I gather so far.

* Nexus 9 - Aroma doesn't work
    * Nexus 5 - Issue with creating free space? Firmware didn't copy (system space issue). Access denied early on if not granted SuperSU (not really much I can do about that).

One Plus One
    cm-12.1-20150901-SNAPSHOT-YOG4PAO236-bacon (latest 5.1 snapshot)

Already installed busybox before flashing the Nethunter zip:

- Successfully installed Nethunter, Shodan, Bluenemea
    - Was able to maintain chroot (Annoying terminal bug though)
    - External WIFI not detected ('please install lsusb')
    - "/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]: syntax error: 'fi' unexpected"

The new installation is very streamline, easy to use so THANKS for the efforts ! This is great !
    Last edited by aemaeth2501; 2015-09-29 at 07:08. Reason: Subscription

Okay Binkybear, I'll bite and be a tester...

Here is where I am at so far:

I receieved a Nexus 7 (2013) this weekend that I have been horkin' around with trying to get a functional Nethunter 2.0 running on last few days, but now I've found this thread and decided to start over from scratch -- with a new clean slate.

You mentioned this is "for Android 5.1 only", so I took that literally to mean 5.1.0. So, I went to Google's factory images page, then into the "razor" section and downloaded "5.1.0 (LMY47O)" to my windows box. I proceeded to follow the "flash to factory settings" instructions as outlined on the Google download page. That went off without a hitch, except for the weird Google versioning # system put me into an interesting scenario of wasting a lot of time, lol.

After, I got fully setup and booted into v5.1.0 the system tells me it has an update for v5.1.1 available to me. After I select "proceed with the update" and follow along the process of also letting it update 100 apps, I discover it ends up being v5.1.1 (LMY47V) which is the next selection below mine on the "Google factory images" page. After booting into the new OS, a few minutes later the system tells me it has an update for v5.1.1 available to me, wash, rinse and repeat above for the new version which ends up being version 5.1.1 (LMY48G) and its' 100 apps update. And then, after booting into the new OS, a few minutes later the system tells me it has an update for v5.1.1 available to me, wash rinse and repeat above for which ends up being version 5.1.1 (LMY48I) and its' 100 apps update. And then, after booting into the new OS, a few minutes later the system tells me it has an update for v5.1.1 available to me, wash rinse and repeat above for what ends up being version 5.1.1 (LMY48M) and its' 100 apps update. That was an hour (extra?) that I think can be skipped by future readers by just getting the latest one on the list and flashing that? <-- Is that accurate?

<sarcasm> ...from an outsiders perspective, thank you very much for an easy to understand version number system Google! </sarcasm>

Nexus 7 was already OEM unlocked from my weekend adventures, so I did the following against my factory reset Nexus 7:

-fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
    -downloaded and ran the Autoroot process/script(s)
    -Used your link above to get the NH2.1 file for my hardware, then
    -adb push update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip /data/local/tmp/update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip
    -entered recovery mode; hit the install button; went to that file location and performed the install

Booted into a fresh and clean Kali 2.1 system (on Android 5.1.1 (LMY48M)).

Ran the "install Kali chroot" process.

Now I am at the "Metapackage Install & Upgrade" point. I have selected everythign on the list a couple of times after which a terminal opens & runs a few lines of code that have "cannot create directory" and "directory does not exist" and then dies stating:

ROOT NOT DETECTED! Type: su or install SuperSU to fix
    $

I ran the su command which grants me a root prompt, however the script still goes nowhere from there. Also, incidentally I have superSU installed and the terminal emulator app is already on the list to be granted SU status...so this doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, it looks as if superSU may be granting root to the terminal app a little after the script(s) start running <-- is that even possible?

Where to go from here?

Nexus 7 2013
    Tried first to install 'over the top' of Nethunter 2.0. All appeared to be ok, but on a reboot started moaning about a few files not found (old version) & then threw up a lovely unstable OS warning. So a complete wipe sorted that out.:-)

Have had similar issues to others about access denied, files not found etc. Even apt-get not recognised. Halfway through installing kali-linux-Nethunter I noticed it flashed up about being granted SU rights & then that's when it all went to pot.
    On investigation into the SuperSU app, the log is full of entries about Kali app making requests for features only provided by SuperSU Pro. So maybe that's the issue?

Cheers,

@scoruud

1. Make sure you have Busybox and SU installed.
    2. As for the permission to the terminal, it was a little tricky for me but I got it to work, I opened the terminal and ran su before installing chroot to force SuperSU to grant access before the script started and not after.

@psicomantis

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Okay, I installed Busybox free version, also added it to superSU for permanent root access. I'm confused on the install su part... isn't that just a *nix CLI command that can be run in terminals, ssh sessions, at the console, ETC? What do you suggest I do to install su in Android -- I don't see that it in google playstore and don't recall and discussions of it in my previous readings?

2. Several of the iterations of trying to get installation scripts top run yesterday had me leaving the terminal window open with the su command run prior to retrying the chroot installations. However, I retried your recommendation after installing busybox this morning and the results ended the same.

At prompt:
    $

su [Enter]

receieved prompt:
    #

Left terminal open, ran install chroot process in NH 2.1 app again... same results.

Also, should I retry flashing back to stock android 5.1.0, and giving it another whirl without letting it update to any version of 5.1.1?

Tried the same procedure(s) using 5.1.0, with Busybox loaded, Etc, same results.

Again, hardware is Nexus 7 (2013).

After installing lsusb, everything went fine for external wifi.
    There is some other glitches though:
    - Hid attacks jams when elevation is selected, causing app to crash
    - files folder (that was before in sdcard) does not exist anymore/does not contains script --> the mana scripts are void

@Everyone
    **OLD: Skip this post: if anyone is going to try my sequence(s) below, you'd be better served to use the outline in my next post on this thread. It is much streamlined and optimized... It should show up shortly, thanks!!***

Okay, here's at least one sequence that leads you on a path of success on the Nexus 7 (2103). This is NOT meant to be a newb guide, so a high amount of android/linux knowledge is advised before anyone attempts the following set of sequences.

remember: backup your important data if you want it in the future!!

- perform an OEM unlock
    - restore device to factory image (v5.1.0) by downloading and installing factory image available from google site using their instructions
    - boot and setup your device like you would any new android; recommend NOT restoring apps from previous/other devices when asked
    - obtain twrp recovery image and then perform; fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
    - download and run the CF autoroot process using their instructions
    - reboot into android
    - obtain and then; adb push kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_razor_lollipop.zip /data/local/tmp/kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_razor_lollipop.zip
    - obtain and then; adb push update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip /data/local/tmp/update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip
    - reboot into twrp recovery and install kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_razor_lollipop.zip from the location you just put it in
    - reboot back into your android system
    - find and install busybox from play store (i do not know that this is required but I did it and ended in success, so, take it or leave it!)
    - ensure nethunter, terminal emulator and busybox are all setup for root access in superSU
    - open nethunter | go into kali launcher menu | update kali chroot; this action took a long time and downloaded hundreds of files and then installed them
    - reboot into twrp recovery and install update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip from the location you put it in a few minutes ago; it will launch into an install mode that let's you choose which items you want, I chose them all. Then, when finished...
    - reboot back into android
    - open nethunter (2.1 now launches)
    - go into chroot manager, it will do a download and then ask you whether you a question...
    - choose to keep/maintain chroot... You will be presented with a list of which items you want. Ichose everything and then clicked the update button at the bottom.
    - the system should then launch the terminal and proceed to download nearly 1 thousand updates and install them.
    - Tada Nethunter 2.1 from a scratch google factory install!

That will get you past my previous hangups to fully installed NH2.1 beta... now I'm off to go test OTG WiFI adapter, and other goodies!

YMMV! good luck... :-)
    Last edited by scoruud; 2015-10-02 at 14:44. Reason: Suggested users skip this post and use my next one down as it is streamlined. Also, grammar/spelling adjustments..

@scoruud - Thanks for not giving up. I should have been more clear that you should be on 5.1.1 (or latest at the time of this writing). I'm unsure what some of your earlier errors were. It's possible its related to system space issue. That seems to be a common problem that can throw everything off (busybox install/firmware/supersu) since those are installed to system. I'll start moving some things to data and make the cleaning script mandatory in the future.

@aemaeth2501 - Thanks you for the warning on HID and mana. I will look into these.

Nexus 5

1. Flashed Stock Android
    2. Updated to latest version
    3. Installed Busybox
    4. Installed TWRP
    5. Installed Terminal and granted access with SuperSU
    6. Disabled extra Gapps and deleted the unused apks through command line
    7. Flashed Nethunter / Confirmed firmwares and extra apps (Hackers Keyboard) copied successfully
    8. Installed chroot
    9. Confirmed external Wifi working

Still get "/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]:syntax error: 'fi' unexpected"

Will continue testing now that the installation was successful.

@Binkybear - Okay, I took your recommendation, started over to test with factory 5.1.1 (LMY48M) image. **Caveat: I may not have had Busybox properly installed due to errors in most of my previous attemps. However, below outlines my fixes and gained efficiencies.

@Everyone else! - This is a more streamlined version of my sequences from earlier that worked for me...

My device is the Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB

This is NOT meant to be a newb guide, so a high amount of android/linux knowledge is advised before anyone attempts the following set of sequences.

remember: backup your important data if you want it in the future, it's about to go away forever & ever!!

- perform an OEM unlock
    - restore device to factory image v5.1.1 (LMY48M) by downloading and installing factory image available from theee Google site using their instructions
    - boot and setup your device like you would any new Android; recommend NOT restoring apps from previous/other devices when asked
    - obtain twrp recovery image and then perform; fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
    - download and run the CF autoroot process using their instructions
    - reboot into android
    - find and install busybox from Play Store - I used "BusyBox Installer", by JRummy Apps, had to revert back to v1.20 during the install process to get it to work properly though.
    - obtain and then; adb push update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip /data/local/tmp/update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip
    - reboot into twrp recovery and install update-nethunter-flo-2392015_192930.zip from the location you put it in a few minutes ago; it will launch into an install mode that let's you choose which items you want, I chose them all. Then, when finished...
    - reboot back into android
    - ensure nethunter, terminal emulator and busybox installer are all setup for root access in superSU
    - open Kali Nethunter 2.1 now launches
    - go into Kali Chroot Manager | do the download | Extracting message appears that warns this could take a while, "If longer than 15 minutes, please panic" :-)
    - Once complete; choose the items you want from the list; I chose them all; Then Accept|Install button
    - the system should then launch the terminal and proceed to download nearly 1-Thousand updates and install them.
    - get some coffee and a nap while the processes run!

Meanwhile, granny is still back at the fort holding off the indians!

- Complete, Tada Nethunter 2.1 from a scratch google factory install!

That will get you to fully installed NH2.1 beta... now I'm once again off to go test OTG WiFI adapter, Ethernet adapter and other goodies!

YMMV! good luck... :-)

At this point WLAN1 wasn't working... TL-WN722N

Caveat: it never has for me as all this hardware is newly acquired!!

Here is what I did to resolve:

From Kali terminal ran: iwconfig

there was no sign of a wlan1 on the list

ran: apt-get install usbutils
    ran: echo 1 > /sys/module/msm_otg/parameters/usbhost_charge_mode (I have a Y-cable and saw a post somewheres else where Binkybear suggested this - don't know if this was part of my fix -- or even necessary any longer?!?)

ran: lsusb; device showed up on this list, however,
    ran: iwconfig and wlan1 still wasn't showing up in that list.

Disconnected the Y-cable (w/WiFi adapter plugged in) with power plugged in.
    Re-connected Y-cable adapter (w/WiFi adapter plugged in) with power plugged in.

ran: lsusb; device still showed up!
    ran: iwconfig AND device wlan1 now appears on the list! Badda-bing!

Sometimes I have to disconnect the power and plug it back in to get it to show up in iwconfig.

Launched WIFITE from Kali Nethunter launcher -- wlan1 is now present in that App! Monitor works fine...

Good luck, YMMV!

And now, back to Nethunter2.1 Beta testing! :-)
    Last edited by scoruud; 2015-10-02 at 14:41. Reason: Minor grammatical adjustments; added sentence about needing to remove and re-add power cable.

Just wanted to chime in and say if your doing a new Nethunter 2.1 could you make it so openVas works properly from the get go? I can't get it working on 2.0 at all.

@scoruud - I believe in the latest kernel I enabled y-cable by default so you shouldn't have to do echo, but it doesn't hurt just in case. Glad to see you are up and running though.

@Greenwolf - OpenVas has always been a bit of a challenge because of the large size (both download and memory usage). I can add it to the list of things to look at though.

This works on my tmobile note edge, wifi cards detected. It also installed fine on my galaxy s2 tab but landscape mode doesn't work during installation. Wifi cards not detected because I don't have a compatible kernel yet. I'll test it on s6 edge plus soon.

Will give it a shot this weekend on my Nexus 7 2013 wifi and with hardware I know works on kit kat

So I got chroot working on Nexus 7 2013 wifi, and it seems fairly stable. I only have a couple of issues...

1. I am unable to get my TL-WN722N working without a y-cable plugged into power. How would I go about running untethered from power?

2. mana config files inside the nethunter app are all blank. I apt-get installed mana-toolkit, and it did not resolve the issue, however I have not attempted to run mana from the command line. What is the path that the app references for those files?

3. Maintain chroot runs through the update/upgrade process, and returns:

/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]: syntax error: 'fi' unexpected
    1|u0_a86@flo:/ $

Other than these issues, I am able to run through my normal usage of nethunter... Now I'm off to play around with it some more and see what I can break.

Thank you to all involved in this project. I have been working with nethunter on my Nexus 7 2013(wifi) since March. I really like the new installation method. It is much more streamlined.

I understand that this is in beta, so I don't expect everything to function as it should. With that said, I would like to put in my two cents about what I have experienced with NH 2.1.

My initial install was completely botched, ending with a soft brick. After reverting everything back to stock 5.1.1, I followed this instructions posted by @scoruud, and everything went as I expected. I also experienced issues with getting my TL-WN722N to work. Again, following @scoruud's instructions I was able to get my wifi adapter recognized by the chroot. With a fairly stable chroot running and recognizing my wifi adapter, these are the issues I am currently experiencing:

1. In previous versions of NH, I was able to use a non-Y-OTG cable with my adapter, but this version has lost that functionality. I must have a Y-cable attached to power for NH to recognize the attached device. For my purposes, being able to operate untethered from power is essential. Kudos to whoever fixed the reboot issue, it is a dream to operate now!

2. When attempting to use the MAINTAIN CHROOT function, I am unable to install any meta-packages besides kali-Linux-nethunter, about halfway through extracting packages it appears that I lose write permissions... also, upon completing the script, I get this error: "/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]: syntax error: 'fi' unexpected"

3. All of the previously pre-filled configurations within the NH 2.1 app are completely blank, with the exception of Mana's hostapd configuration (there is also a typo in the "Channel" field, it says "Chanel"). The app menus are also displaying improperly, for example, you can only see the top half of the "hostapd-karma.conf" field.

4. Whenever I exit the kali menu, it forces an apt-get update/dist-upgrade... I'm not sure if this is intended or not.

Once again, thank you to everyone involved in building this tool. Time to get back and see what else I can break.

-thnks1

after installing the image for nexus 4. It gets stuck at boot logo

Hi all, I have a note 4, I already had a chroot installed from the previous version of nh, so I installed over the top. Initially I had no problems installing, but once installed my phone ended up going into a boot loop and my only remedy was a reinstall of the emotion rom. I'm going to try a full wipe and a fresh install later, so I'll post my results, but for now guys keep up the great work!

Installed on my Nexus 6. First installed android 5.1.1, updated everything. Then really just followed binkybear's instructions. Before I began, I installed Busybox, SuperSU and had to manually re-root the phone. After that just pushed up the zip file and followed the instructions. Setup completed fine and for the metapackages, I selected wireless and sdr. Wifite works fine and detects my TP-Link WN722N. Really liking this new direction, great job for everyone involved in this project.

@thnks1 - Thanks for the detailed feedback. Not to toot my own horn (toot) but I figured out the kernel oops issue. As far as it only working with ycable, you can turn that off with: echo 0 > /sys/module/msm_otg/parameters/usbhost_charge_mode
    Although thats not an ideal method. I'm not sure if there is an easy fix for this other then maybe adding a button to the app.
    I've fixed the #2 issue in the next update. Just a small if statement breakage in bootkali, shouldn't cause terrible problems. #4 is not intended and I will have to look into #3 also.

@sherzod33 - Were you on stock 5.1.1 or CM?

@Aranadin - It is not designed for the Note 4. Flashing the kernel will go into a bootloop.

I checked in my Phone settings and it said 5.1.1 although i dont know what CM is. I only just re imaged the phone to lollipop 5.1.1 before installing Nethunter, thats it no mods on it. Then i used Clockworksmod Recovery to to install the Alpha Nethunter that you gave me.

Tried on a Nexus 4 w/ stock 5.1. The install process is really nice, but some errors come up, same as previously found by others: /data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]: syntax error: 'fi' unexpected

terminal freezes if I try to disconnect and reconnect the wifi adapter (Alfa AWUS 036H), after having manually installed wireless-tools since iwconfig was not found. Not usable yet, but definitively a clever way to go.

This is my test on a Nexus 9 (Wi-Fi)
    - Fresh flash install the latest 5.1.1 (LMY48T) factory images.
    - Root the device with NRT.
    - (test it and the device is properly rooted)
    - Install BusyBox and SuperSu.
    - Reboot in TWRP and install the update-nethunter-flounder-2392015_19310.zip
    And that's the problem. Aroma doesn't start, the device reboot and nothing happen.

I confirm that AROMA didn't work on Nexus 9 and nethunter doesn't install at all.

Any Workaround?

I try a couple of time and have the same result.
    I try to install the latest TWRP for Nexus 9 (2.8.7.0) because NRT install the previous (2.8.6.0) but have the same result.

What i can try now?

Quote Originally Posted by binkybear View Post
    @Aranadin - It is not designed for the Note 4. Flashing the kernel will go into a bootloop.
    Why no love for the Note 4 Binkybear NH 1+ wasn't meant to work on it either but it ran perfectly well

But anyway I reinstalled my updated rom, then had another go at installing NH, it installs fine, and updates and runs, the only thing I cannot test test is external wifi as my OTG cable is broken, I have one ordered, so in a day or two I'll find out if the external wifi is working...

I wasn't able to install nethunter on my galaxy s6 edge plus. I do have a compatible kernel. Nethunter installed without any errors but the installation won't stick. I've tried wiping/factory reset a few times and that doesn't work either. I installed it 4 times and none of them stick, it keep on asking me to install again every time I launch the app. I was able to install on my galaxy tab s2 and note edge without any problems.

@Aranadin - If you have a Note 4 kernel dropping a zImage and changing the install path in anykernel.sh can install the kernel. Otherwise I imagine it will just skip the kernel install if it can't find the right partition or install and bootloop if it does find the same partition. There's a lot of folks who want NH on Samsung devices and I feel the pain. There's a lot of Samsung tablets/phones floating around and I'm sure people want to make good use of them. It is entirely possible to install NH on them with a compatible kernel.

@Fer2000 - Nexus 9 seems to be having issues with aroma installer. I have a no aroma installer option, here is a upload link good for a few days: https://transfer.sh/LQlwZ/update-net...2015-20367.zip

@goingmad - You said it's not useable yet, is that because of wifi issues or something else?

@sherzod33 - goingmad was able to install to the Nexus 4 so i'm not completly sure what issue might be. Unsure if its related to using clockwork mod.

Binkybear i figured out my mistake and followed this guide https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...pported-device with this i successfully installed nethunter and also the chroot. Im gonna test it out on wifi penetration testiong when my antenna arrives. ill let you know any issues i run into

Thank you very much Binkybear for the new zip file.
    But still some problems:
    1) It install all the apk except the nethuner.apk. So i extract the nethuner.apk fron your zip and manual install it.
    2) I do the chroot... download thousand of file, start services (all ok except for the DHCP), everything seems to work fine during install, i only have the little problem that everybody just tell, the "/data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts/bootkali[336]: syntax error: 'fi' unexpected". But Nethunter continue to say "No kali chroot directory was found."

@goingmad - You said it's not useable yet, is that because of wifi issues or something else?
    Hello Binkybear,

I've done another install test, taking images after several steps reached this time.

I can confirm NH is installing until the end, after that there is a (common) error shown

IMG_20151008_120327.jpg
    .... kaliboot[336]...'fi expected

Currently I have an Y cable, with a power bank and an external wifi adapter (Alfa AWUS036H and a Turbotenna from danets.com, both well working in regular Kali distro out of the box)

The wifi adapter (one or the other) is not recognized at all, tried with lsusb several times, also disconnecting and reconnecting that

IMG_20151008_182033.jpg IMG_20151008_163453.jpg

also a usb flash card is not show on lsusb

Do you think I have to manually install the drivers or I have to buy a tp-link adapter to be sure to have this working?

just tried to install on grouper/N7_2012_WIFI_16GB/
    optipop rom /optipop_grouper-ota-2015-06-25.zip system ext4 data and cache are f2fs/ about rom:
    Screenshot_2015-10-09-09-11-32.jpg

link: http://postimg.org/image/74a19ijtt/
    got bootloop after install nh, i selected all the tool in aroma

*just removed anykernel folder in update-nh-grouper.zip
    now installed fine, i install now the chroot
    Last edited by beloadjoker; 2015-10-09 at 08:09.

Hi, nethunter user since the first relase here, and before that, pwnie (tl;dr : i love you binky) next week i will be able to test that on :
    - Nexus 7 (2013 / Wifi)
    - OPO 16gb
    - OPO 64gb

What are your needs ? I can test that on any of this devices and with any rom you want.

Looking over the app (based on feedback) I noticed a lot of file paths need to be changed and sdcard files needs to be copied during install. I'm going to take down links for now since app is somewhat broken (no mana/hid). I will update links again when I push an update. I will try to get back to everyone that I missed responding to tomorrow.

Would love to give this a go. I have th Samsung GT-i9507 which is the Australian variant but will usually hold up to a GT-i9505 ROM

really interested in trying this and looking forward to stable 2.1, any word?

I've just compiled the kernel and Nethunter installer from source for my Nexus 4 (cyanogenmod 12.1), using binkybear/AnyKernel2.
    (I replaced the source's zImage with my current rom's)
    It works, but have some bugs. The installer is really great. Some files on the SD card has to be replaced manually from earlier builds.

I like the new nethunter, everything I've tried works, except wlan1 and Duckhunter. (It doesn't convert my scripts. No error messages.)

So it's "work in progress" i think.

<--- Tester available.
    Nexus 7 2013 WiFi (Razor)
    Experienced in android, root, and to a lesser degree Kali and Linux in general.
    Last edited by xNotta; 2015-11-01 at 00:24.

If you guys need a tester for nexus 5 on both cm12.1 or 6.0 stock I'm here.

Hi there BinkyBear,
    I've been following the Nethunter project since the pwnpad days. Good job and thanks for everything you've done to get this great tool developed. I think this latest project is a huge step forward and I agree with others who say that it "streamlines the install."

As of a couple minutes ago:
    -Nexus 5 Hammerhead
    -cm-12.1-20150901-SNAPSHOT-YOG4PAO237-hammerhead
    -flashed and installed kali-nethunter (compiled with AnyKernel2 using a custom CM12.1 zimage)
    -all addons chosen during install
    -booted up nicely with the fancey new custom boot logo
    -all chosen apps seem to have made it through the install process
    -chroot downloaded and installed

Next Steps:
    I will keep you posted with any comments I may have regarding functionality. Excited to start playing around with it!
    Will also let you know how the install goes on my Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi) Flo!

Quote Originally Posted by JQuon View Post
    Hi there BinkyBear,
    I've been following the Nethunter project since the pwnpad days. Good job and thanks for everything you've done to get this great tool developed. I think this latest project is a huge step forward and I agree with others who say that it "streamlines the install."

As of a couple minutes ago:
    -Nexus 5 Hammerhead
    -cm-12.1-20150901-SNAPSHOT-YOG4PAO237-hammerhead
    -flashed and installed kali-nethunter (compiled with AnyKernel2 using a custom CM12.1 zimage)
    -all addons chosen during install
    -booted up nicely with the fancey new custom boot logo
    -all chosen apps seem to have made it through the install process
    -chroot downloaded and installed

Next Steps:
    I will keep you posted with any comments I may have regarding functionality. Excited to start playing around with it!
    Will also let you know how the install goes on my Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi) Flo!
    So its now working with cm 12.1?