Thread: Kali Linux Disk Space problem when using apt-get upgrade

Kali Linux Disk Space problem when using apt-get upgrade

Hello,
    I am using Kali Linux 2 x64 on VMware Workstation 12 Pro, while my host OS is Windows 8.1 x64.
    I installed Kali without any problems, and when I tried to update / upgrade Kali I got an error near the end of the process, saying that I don't have enough disk space even if I allocated 40GB on my SSD to the virtual machine via VMware Workstation.
    #I don't know if this bonus information will help, but when I right-clicked on the 'Computer' directory in Kali Linux and chosen 'Properties', it has only shown 1GB of maximum memory for that directory, of which only 22MB of memory were unused.
    Could you assist me with this problem? Where did I go wrong?

Also, I'd like to ask: How can I make the Screen Resolution of Kali that I configured in my last session get saved even after I restart Kali? It keeps happening that when I change the resolution, it gets back to 800x600 after I restart the virtual machine.

Thanks in advance!

I allocated 40GB on my SSD to the virtual machine via VMware Workstation.
    Try making a static volume, not a dynamic one. Or try using virtualbox

I downloaded virtualbox and tried both the Dynamic and Fixed options, and the problem still persists.
    Besides, why is nobody answering my topic for such a long time? Did I not explain the problem with enough detail?
    And for Kali2015, thanks for trying to help.

So I searched the web for a bit and I've seen something called 'gparted' that I can use to allocate space to my native partition, but how do I allocate space to the folder where the updates are downloaded? Here is a picture of my partitions

Quote Originally Posted by vurazz View Post
    Besides, why is nobody answering my topic for such a long time?
    Well, because there is no official support. My topic was also left unanswered until i tried to solve it myself.
    you cannot allocate space to a folder in gparted, currently on the screenshot i can see that you don't have even a partition(unallocated). You can download kali virtualbox image already preinstalled where everything works out of the box here(it's official) http://images.kali.org/Kali-Linux-2....-amd64.torrent

Thank you, kali2015! You fixed my problem