Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Alfa awus036ach help

Quote Originally Posted by airhogger View Post
    Hey undersc0re

It looks like "kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed." You should install kernel headers.

apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Yes I tried that with this result. I might have messed up something along the way in my desperation to get something to work lol. I am not sure why it looks for those old packages, does not seem right to me. Why it trys the 4.6 I have NO idea heh, i fully updated and sources list is good....I hate to have to redo my persistence stick all over again with a new weekly image or at least the latest image because of something that seems simple...I can not tell where it tells it to look for 4.6 when it should be 4.9 I assume. Even manually installed latest linux-header and linux-image...just trys looking for 4.6 and uname shows 4.6 heh, my persistence stick must be the issue, I think its time forma redo

apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-amd64'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-amd64'

Edit=
    Grabbed the latest weekly image and did up a new persistence stick and it works great now!
    Last edited by undersc0re; 2017-05-09 at 03:35 AM.

Guys!
    I have been trying with the drivers from the new branch from astsam .
    And everything is going more smoothly both in managed and monitor mode.
    The drivers are not the one in the dkms package, you have to install them from Git Hub repository.

If you don't know how to use git hub, steps would be:
    1) install git
    Code:
    sudo apt install git
    2) download branch 5.1.5 from astsam repository
    Code:
    git clone -b v5.1.5 https://github.com/astsam/rtl8812au.git
    3) locate your shell in the branch
    Code:
    cd rtl8812au
    4) Complie
    Code:
    make
    5) install
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Before doing that make sure:
    1) if you installed previously a driver from git hub, you have to erase any previous module 8112au.ko
    It is located in an actualized system in
    Code:
    /lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    If you have a module for rtl812au there, erase it
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8812au.ko
    and unload the module in case it is active
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r 8812au.ko
    2) If you installed the driver with the dkms package provided by Offensive security simply use aptitude to remove it and maybe restart your computer to avoid any troubles installing version 5.1.5
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove  realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms && sudo systemctl reboot
    You will see that with this new drivers airdoump-ng windows populate much more quickly; really at full speed.
    Try them, They really worth it!
    Do feedback: if they work better for you too i will reopen the bugtrack ticket to ask for upgrading the dkms package from 4.3.21 to 5.1.5
    Last edited by kcdtv; 2017-05-19 at 02:15 PM.

kcdtv, I tried your instructions and get this error, at this step. I did an uninstall of previous driver as instructed. It worked with kali's drivers before but slow like you mentioned.

I am using the latest weekly image on my persistence stick, unfortunately I updated/upgraded kali before trying your guide which seems in my case to make some driver installs get errors, and the kernel header problems pop up etc.

~/rtl8812au# make
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/build M=/root/rtl8812au modules
    make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    Makefile:1855: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    Last edited by undersc0re; 2017-05-09 at 03:04 PM.

This is because you still don't have the linux headers
    Code:
    sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64

Okay, so i followed kcdtv's post to get the version 5 branch drivers installed. When I run airmon-ng it shows ??????? as my driver now. did i miss something? I'm getting the impression that something didn't install properly. the adapter has also been acting finicky. It wont turn back on if unplugged and plugged back in, and it no longercomes up with ANY Access Points in airodump-ng.

I hope somebody can help.

Update::
    Flashing my system with kali image and installing drivers worked!
    I had to do an os update to get headers to install.
    Last edited by Soledge; 2017-05-11 at 10:05 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    This is because you still don't have the linux headers
    Code:
    sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64
    yes you were right about that, updating the headers worked this time with the brand new kali install, thx.
    now I just need the adapter to work, it will see it in lsusb, I must have missed something somewhere, I will keep trying!

EDIT - Kept trying, reinstalled persistence again lol, but did not install the kali drivers first from the new blog how to this time...instead installed yours right off the bat and voila! Thanks!
    Last edited by undersc0re; 2017-05-10 at 10:28 PM.

Hi guys!
    @ undersc0re
    I think that it would have been enough just to "apt autoremove dkms" too after removing the module rtl81xxau in order to totally get rid off anything linked to the old drivers.
    Glad to know that you got there!
    Did you noticed too that the USB is working much more "fluently" with this drivers?
    @ Soledge
    If you installed the dkms package previously, try to remove dkms itself and restart your system.

I did a kali 2017.1 flash on my pc and now things are working much better with the version 5 drivers. its still not perfect but its a lot better than before.
    I hope the developer continues to work on getting things like txpower adjusting fixed. right now i think its the best driver so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    Hi guys!
    @ undersc0re
    I think that it would have been enough just to "apt autoremove dkms" too after removing the module rtl81xxau in order to totally get rid off anything linked to the old drivers.
    Glad to know that you got there!
    Did you noticed too that the USB is working much more "fluently" with this drivers?
    @ Soledge
    If you installed the dkms package previously, try to remove dkms itself and restart your system.
    Yes working much better! Just have to start it to monitor mode manually for things but no big deal! Thanks for the tips.

what is everyone getting for tx power in monitor mode using the new branch astsam drivers installed? I get 12 db as installed with no modifications after.
    is it lower tx while testing so the usb is not overloaded?
    Last edited by undersc0re; 2017-05-16 at 07:00 PM.