Thread: Evil Twin Attack

Question Evil Twin Attack

Hi,

I'm still in process of learning pentesting. Currently I am at very basic level.

My question is regarding Evil Twin attack. Most of the tutorials out there use an external usb WIFI adapter such as Alfa,etc to create an rouge AP using airbase-ng.

Is it possible to create do the same using a Wireless range extender or a router?

I am pretty sure to I need a more powered adapter for this purpose, which I don't really think I have. I have TP-Link WN-722N High-Gain Usb wifi adapter.
    Do you think this will do the work?

And about the wireless range extender/router, is there any way to create a Rouge AP using them or any other means which I am not aware of.

Thanks.

well yeah basically thats enough , but it depends on how much your target is away from you. well personally i'll suggest you to buy an Alfa (injection capable) Wifi adapter because they are well reknowned for their powerful wireless works. but if you want to stick to your TP-link adapter and want to increase its power it can be done by the following commands
    1st Method.
    Code:

iw reg set BO
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30

If above method gives the following error then go for 2nd method.
    Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

2nd Method.

Code:

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iw reg set BO
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 channel 13
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30

if both of them don't work then your adapter doesnt support it .
    and for checking the results after command , use "iwconfig" command
    . hope this is enough , You can reply to this thread if you have any further questions

It's entirely possible to make a evil twin using a router. Just install openwrt and any other packages you may need onto the router. And configure it with the same ESSID and BSSID. I set up a captive portal on mine for password collection and cranked up the transmit power to hopefully drown out the real ap. Just change the port of the configuration gui to something else and set up a small httpd and route all DNS to resolve to itself.
    Last edited by aanarchyy; 2015-10-14 at 17:11.

It's entirely possible to make a evil twin using a router. Just install openwrt and any other packages you may need onto the router. And configure it with the same ESSID and BSSID. I set up a captive portal on mine for password collection and cranked up the transmit power to hopefully drown out the real ap. Just change the port of the configuration gui to something else and set up a small httpd and route all DNS to resolve to itself.
    i've learned and worked with evil twin a bit deeper and pretty good, but your kind of technique seems really good, so as we can create a rogue AP with several tools out there and can use some powerfull wlan cards or even can increase there power and combine some other tools to create a perfect evil twin, but i've never used openwrt just have read about it that its used as a wireless router etc, but whats the point of using it for an attack like this where we can get the job done without it.
    Maybe i am not getting the point but aanarchyy can you explain the motive a bit, i might get some new ideas.
    Thanks

I will see about doing a full write up if anyone is interested in a how-to on this, but I'm not sure if I can post it here as it is not strictly "kali related" and is likely to get axed...

it will most probly fly and go unaxed in the howto section
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge