Thread: [HOW TO] Install Nvidia Drivers on Kali 2.0 x86

Post [HOW TO] Install Nvidia Drivers on Kali 2.0 x86 (HP Mini 311)

I have Kali 2.0 on my HP Mini 311-1000NR(x86) dual booted with Ubuntu 14.04LTS on my OEM HDD. My 311 has the awesome NVIDIA ION (LE) GPU/chipset in it. While installation of the drivers is fairly easy with Ubuntu, it's a bit more technical with Kali. Though, both of the systems are Debian based; there are some similarites thankfully. I am posting what I found in @ColForbin's Thread: Install Nvidia 340.76 Driver in Kali Linux 2.0. There are some slight modifications that I am making to this How-To to suit the x86 platforms and the current NVIDIA driver released that supports my machine's GPU. Let's Begin!!!

Anything wrapped in code must be typed (or copy & pasted) in the terminal.
    Additionally, each new line in code is a separate command. Meaning, type or copy & paste each code line individually.
    Hit the Enter button after each line.

• Install the kernel headers, and dkms

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) dkms
    • Download Nvidia driver installation, and change its permissions to executable
    • Here, you can modify the command just as I did to suit your needs. Change the driver # according to what you need.
    • Make sure everything is keyed in exactly the way it's labeled. Terminal is case sensitive.

Code:
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/XXX.XX/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-XXX.XX.run
    chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-XXX.XX.run
    For my needs it was:
    Code:
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/340.93/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.93.run
    chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.93.run
    • Prevent nouveau from loading

Code:
    sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    reboot
    • Once rebooted, switch to a virtual console (ctrl+alt+f1 for instance) and stop the gdm3/lightdm service

Code:
    service gdm3 stop
    or
    Code:
    service lightdm stop
    • Run the nvidia driver installation

Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-XXX.XX.run
    For my machine it was
    Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-340.93.run
    • During the installation, choose yes to register the kernel module with DKMS.
    • Say 'Yes' to everything when prompted
    • NVIDIA Installer will prompt you if you want it to automatically run the nvidia-xconfig command. Choose 'Yes'

Code:
    reboot
    If you have done these steps and get an error from the NVIDIA installer informing you that it cannot complete the installation, follow the steps listed below:

First completely remove the driver.

Search what packages from nvidia you have installed.
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
    If you see that there are NVIDIA drivers installed, use the following command to remove all of them
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    The asterisk in the end means (Purge everything that begins with the name nvidia-)

After you have completed the removal of the existing NVIDIA drivers, you may proceed with starting at the beginning of this How-To to install the NVIDIA driver that you need. Please reply if errors come up when using this guide so that I may correct it accordingly.
    Last edited by Kalibruz; 2015-10-04 at 01:29.