Thread: Using Kali on Raspberry Pi2 with 7' touch screen - display OK, touch not OK

Question Using Kali on Raspberry Pi2 with 7' touch screen - display OK, touch not OK

Hello,

So I bought the 7' touch screen that was released recently.
    This one: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the...ry-pi-display/

Now I'm trying to make it work with Kali on a Raspberry Pi 2. The display actually works fine, but not the touch part.

The touch screen works perfectly with Raspian Wheezy (provided you run apt-get update + upgrade).
    So it's not an issue of weak power supply.

I have searched quite a lot, obviously the touch screen was released very recently and I understand Raspian is the only sanctioned distro with suitable support at this point. But I think there should be a way to use it with Kali. I'm afraid this could involve recompiling the kernel or something.
    The question is, what am I missing...

Relevant info: the screen uses the DSI interface.

I can't believe I am the only one
    Any clues welcome.

uname -a:
    Code:
    Linux kali 3.18.16-v7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 13 11:35:22 CDT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
    Output of lsmod:
    Code:
    Module                  Size  Used by
    cfg80211              384120  0
    rfkill                 16205  1 cfg80211
    evdev                   9802  4
    snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s     6444  0
    snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c     1693  0
    regmap_mmio             2965  1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
    snd_soc_pcm512x         6356  1 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c
    snd_soc_wm8804          7300  0
    snd_soc_tas5713         4968  0
    snd_soc_core          135973  4 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_tas5713,snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
    snd_compress            7507  1 snd_soc_core
    snd_pcm_dmaengine       3343  1 snd_soc_core
    snd_pcm                72539  3 snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
    snd_timer              17586  1 snd_pcm
    regmap_spi              1702  1 snd_soc_wm8804
    snd                    50582  4 snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_compress
    regmap_i2c              2281  3 snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c,snd_soc_tas5713
    spi_bcm2708             5133  0
    i2c_dev                 5554  0
    i2c_bcm2708             4936  0
    fuse                   81207  1
    ipv6                  330717  18
    NB: output of dmesg is attached separately.
    PS: yes I've noticed errors with pcm512x in dmesg, I understand they are benign and related to the sound driver... I think.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Marjorie,
    You have excellent taste! I've got the exact same setup Same touchscreen on a raspberry pi2. Unfortunately, I also have the same problem. Everything except for the touchscreen works. Have you found a workaround yet? I'm considering having a look at how https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-PiTFT-Helper is put together, and trying to come up with a solution.

Just wanted to let you know it's a dsi setup not tft.

Quote Originally Posted by grese View Post
    Hi Marjorie,
    You have excellent taste! I've got the exact same setup Same touchscreen on a raspberry pi2. Unfortunately, I also have the same problem. Everything except for the touchscreen works. Have you found a workaround yet? I'm considering having a look at how https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-PiTFT-Helper is put together, and trying to come up with a solution.
    Just wanted to let you know it's a dsi setup not tft. It will not work.
    Try kivy.org multitouch 10 points found article on raspberrypi.org its for deb so should work good luck

Which distort are you using? I've got the same hardware, but I can only get the touch screen to work in Raspbian. I've tried both the TFT and regular prebuilt editions.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I cant even get a picture on mine. Works find with Raspbian image

I haven't had any luck. Exact same scenario, no picture but works fine with Rasbian. Would be great to find out which version of Kali the people above used (the one that apparently works without the touch).

I'm considering looking into installing the tools and software contained within Kali in Rasbian....

Quote Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post
    I cant even get a picture on mine. Works find with Raspbian image
    The display works for me, but you need to upgrade the system (apt-get update).
    What doesn't work yet is the touch part.

The image can be found here: https://www.offensive-security.com/k...ux-arm-images/
    Info: http://docs.kali.org/kali-on-arm/ins...m-raspberry-pi

Thanks for your reply Marjorie.

I'm suing the Raspberry Pi 2 image from the same link you provided. I did try running the apt-get update/apt-get update/reboot commands, however no display or touch. Is that what you've done, or did you use the Pi w/TFT image (I can't get that one to boot).

I'll try it all again sometime today. It would be great to just get the display working, i'm not too fussed on the touch screen part.

Thanks again,
    John

So I prepared a fresh SD card with Kali using dd, ran the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade command and still nothing being shown on the display.

Are there any changes to config.txt that need to be made?

Sadly the documentation for the display is VERY thin on the ground and ad-hoc. Because of this I find myself grasping at any possible solution. For example, would it make a difference if I ran the updates THEN connected the screen. I've seen some steps written in this order but am not sure if it is intentional or not.

To anyone else with this issue, running Kali 2.1 resolves the issue.

Not for me Did you adapt anything in the config ?

I didn't have to change a thing.

I should clarify that the display worked automatically, but the touch input still isn't.

OK. The display works for me too. I was just hoping you found a way to make the touch part work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    OK. The display works for me too. I was just hoping you found a way to make the touch part work.
    I was wondering if you've had any luck with getting the 7" touchscreen touch interface working yet. I just got my touchscreen and was going to try setting it up.