Thread: Current Best WiFi USB adapter?

Current Best WiFi USB adapter?

I've done some research and have a general idea on USB adapters that are compatible with Kali/NetHunter.
    Searching yielded a few similar thread, but none matching exactly.

My minimum on the adapter is:
    • a decent *actual* power(mW) rating.
    • Wireless N compatibility on 2.4GHz (5GHz is a plus but not necessary).
    • External/Removable Antenna.
    • a fully supported chipset.

I've narrowed down my choices to 3 adapters. (In order of what looks to me to be best to worst)
    1. TP-LINK_TL-WN722N (Atheros AR9271)
    2. ALFA AWUS036NH (Ralink RT3070)
    3. ALFA AWUS036NHA (Atheros AR9271) - Noted that the "FCC test results, this adapter is ~5 times weaker than typical Wi-Fi adapters"

Also interested in the Signal King 950WN that uses the Ralink 3070 chipset.
    It seems to have really good reviews.
    And would like to know more about the Alfa AWUS051NH v2 (dual band).

Out of those adapters and other adapters that I may not be aware of, which is the most powerful and better of the supported USB Wireless Adapters or Kali and NetHunter?

--
    Resources:

Here are a few links that have helped:
    http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-kali...gles-2015.html
    http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-kali...ters-2014.html

The compatibility is based on chipset and should have any of the following chipsets (802.11N):
    Atheros AR9271
    Ralink RT3070
    Ralink RT3572

I've also discovered that there are some Alfa adapters that are claiming 5,000mW power from a single USB connection.
    It appears that is impossible since typical USB 2.0 ports put out 5V at 500mA max, which means the absolute maximum output of a single usb powered adapter is limited 2,500mW. (5V*500mA=2,500W - P=V*I)
    That is assuming perfect conditions which would likely never exist in actual practice.
    Last edited by Tritium; 2015-10-11 at 19:47. Reason: Corrected typo.

Just a little typo error in your post :
    ALFA Network AWUS036NH has a ralink RT3070
    ALFA Network AWUS036NHA has a Atheros AR9271
    The wn722n is a very decent USB device very cheap
    With the same atheros chipset; the alfa device is more expensive but with definitely a higher quality. More output power, better external omni antenna and a better quality of the "mother board"

That's an inside view of the wn722n with it ar9271 :

And that the alfa AWUS036NHA

exactly the same chipset but with two different approach. TP-link make it the cheapest possible with a minimalistic approach. Alfa network is on the high quality standard.
    If you are short on money you might prefer the tp-link (it works pretty good); if not the alfa network.

I would personally prefer an atheros ar9271(AWUS036NHA) to a Ralink rt3070 (AWUS036NH). I find it more "dynamic" with medium quality signals, a better connectivity. It is a bit buggy with aircrack-ng. Some unexisting PA can appers in your scan and desauthentification with ireplay-ng to a specific client might not work or at least not as good as general desauthentification (it should be the other way round)
    ar9271 works well with reaver WPS, the RT3070 not that good.

And would like to know more about the Alfa AWUS051NH v2 (dual band).
    That is a pretty interesting option. If you have a "a" band network it is worth take it.
    You will feel the difference!
    If you use it on b/g/n networks you will not see much difference than with it older brother, the rt3070.
    Maybe a bit more stability on low signal 300Mbps due to the MIMO 2T2R (two antennas) but you won't feel a big difference.
    If you have "a" band network, than it is pretty awsome and could spent some more $-€, it won't be a bad inversion.

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    I would personally prefer an atheros ar9271(AWUS036NHA) to a Ralink rt3070 (AWUS036NH). I find it more "dynamic" with medium quality signals, a better connectivity. It is a bit buggy with aircrack-ng. Some unexisting PA can appers in your scan and desauthentification with ireplay-ng to a specific client might not work or at least not as good as general desauthentification (it should be the other way round)
    ar9271 works well with reaver WPS, the RT3070 not that good.

That is a pretty interesting option. If you have a "a" band network it is worth take it.
    You will feel the difference!
    If you use it on b/g/n networks you will not see much difference than with it older brother, the rt3070.
    Maybe a bit more stability on low signal 300Mbps due to the MIMO 2T2R (two antennas) but you won't feel a big difference.
    If you have "a" band network, than it is pretty awsome and could spent some more $-€, it won't be a bad inversion.
    Thank you for the reply and for all of that info.
    Based on what I've read, the RT3070 chipset is not the best choice and the Signal King 950WN has the 3070 chipset and I don't have any .11a networks to use it on, so the 950WN is out (Their 3km/1.8mi claim caught my attention)

The AWUS036NHA seems like it's is going to be best with the TP-Link WN722N coming in at a close second.

One more question:
    1. Does the omni 9 dBi antenna make a worthwhile difference from the stock 5dBi omni antenna on the AWUS036NHA? (I'll probably use the 7dBi brand name antenna I already have instead of the stock 5dBi)
      Are those going to have any advantages over the AWUS036NHA (ar9271) in any way?
    Last edited by Tritium; 2015-10-11 at 19:51. Reason: I shouldn't post things when I'm tired, got stuff mixed up, haha.

Bumping my post instead of creating a new one.

I have a TP-LINK_TL-WN722N and was going to use a Reaver with Pixie-dust attack on my WPS enabled AP.

I was reading the --help file for reaver and noticed the -K (PixieDust) commands says this:
    Code:
    -K  --pixie-dust=<number>       [1] Run pixiewps with PKE, PKR, E-Hash1, E-Hash2 and E-Nonce (Ralink, Broadcom, Realtek)
    Does that mean my Atheros chipset is incompatible with pixie dust?

I've got the TL-WN722N and pixie dust works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
    Does that mean my Atheros chipset is incompatible with pixie dust?
    That refers to the /target/ chipset.

I have a TL-WN722N and i can also confirm it works just fine.

I can't believe so many people like the TL-WN722N. I have one, and the receive sensitivity is less than stellar.
    Get anything with the Ralink 3072 chipset and you'll be happy.
    Also, why isn't anyone here talking about Super Pass panel antennas? They are a dozen times better than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Doe View Post
    Also, why isn't anyone here talking about Super Pass panel antennas? They are a dozen times better than anything else.
    Is there a particular Super Pass panel antenna that you recommend? I've tried using Alfa panel antennas in the past and didn't have great results.
    Last edited by Noxferatu; 2015-11-11 at 20:14.

Super Pass panel antennas
    What is that?
    "Panel antennas" are well known.
    But his theme is not about antennas but about chipset
    Once you take a USB with removable antena you can connect any antenna you want "yagi, panel, grind.... o "super panel")
    Does the omni 9 dBi antenna make a worthwhile difference from the stock 5dBi omni antenna on the AWUS036NHA? (I'll probably use the 7dBi brand name antenna I already have instead of the stock 5dBi)
    Are those going to have any advantages over the AWUS036NHA (ar9271) in any way?
    I am not fanatic about "9dBi "omni" antenas"
    First because they are not realy "omni-directional".
    This better decibels results than with a 5dBi omni antenna means that the aperture angle of your 9dBi antenna is much less
    In my opinion it is beter to have a 5dbI antenna and a directional antenna (my yagi 17dBi costs 30$)
    9dBi is a starnge compromise that won't give you neither the long range of a yagi or the multi-directionality of a 5dBi omni antenna

...removed as I misunderstood the previous poster's intended recipient...
    Last edited by Noxferatu; 2015-11-11 at 21:11.