Thread: Installed Kali 2.0 with a USB drive, and now I can't boot my computer without.

Installed Kali 2.0 with a USB drive, and now I can't boot my computer without.

I thought when I burnt this image to a USB drive and installed Kali I thought I could simply take it out, and I could just boot my regular Windows 7 Home Premium OS without it. Now, without the USB drive at boot up, I get a no such device error, a few lines of code, and a grub rescue> prompt. When I installed Kali I was careful, but I think I may have somehow overwrittten the entire hard drive with it. The Kali Linux webpage even says "Oh, well you can just erase the files on the USB drive, and all your stuff will go back to normal blah blah) thank god I haven't yet because then I wouldn't be able to load any OS.

This is really bothering me I can't just use my Windows OS Puter without this friggin' thing in here. Can somebody please help me out? Should I download a Windows 7 HP install image to another USB?

Near the end of the Kali installation you were primpted to choose the disk you wanted to install the bootloader on. Your physical harddrive was near the top of the list, your usb key (where you should have put it) was near the bottom. It's just a mistake of hitting enter too quickly.

To get it back to the way you had it you can boot from a W7 installation or repair disk/usb and choose the repair option. That will put your MS bootloader back. Just to be safe, first boot into W7 the way you are now and back up all your personal data.