Thread: Need help installing Kali Linux to my windows 8.1 pc

Need help installing Kali Linux to my windows 8.1 pc

I'm starting to get frustrated because there are no guides on youtube or google that help me with my issue so maybe theres someone here who knows more about this.
    So I have a windows 8.1 Laptop and I want to install Kali Linux, I have downloaded the Kali Linux 64 bit from the website (ISO) and it has created a disk drive (F:Kali live)
    I have also made the empty partition for this if one is even needed. Honestly I have no idea how to install this from where im at now. I've read on the kali linux website that i need to burn Kali onto the disk drive but I cant find out how to do that. Also do I need a blank disk in the disk drive to do this? BTW I havent run into problems because theres no disk i dont even know where to hit the burn to cd button. I'd be very grateful if someone here could help me!
    Thanks!
    mitch

ok mitch, first off id forget about using a CD and go with a USB instead. Second, you cant just load a Kali CD/USB into your PC and run it like you would any other program, it has to be booted. To do this you will need to create a bootable USB drive. Everyone has there preference as to what software to use but i like Linux universal USB installer. I run windows 8.1 and i know that one will work. Youll need a empty USB of at least 4 gigs(i use an 8 gig) and then goto pendrivelinux.com and search for universal USB installer or UUI. This is a free and safe download. Also this website has tons of helpful info as well as free downloads so i would recommend bookmarking it for future reference. Download and run UUI and in the first box scroll down and select Kali as your distrubitor, box 2 browse your PC for Kali 2.0 ISO youve already downloaded. Sometimes windows will mislable the file as txt instead of ISO so once the browse box pops up, before you search goto the file box in the bottom right and click on file type, a dropbox will appear with some asterisks in it, select them and the Kali ISO will become visible. Next goto box 3 of UUI and make sure youve got the your USB selected and hit CREATE. When its done restart your computer in boot mode. For me i have to push the ESC key immediatlly after i press the power button to get to boot mode but your PC may be different. Im on an HP 15 touchscreen. once in boot mode youll see the option to boot from USB, thats what you want but before you boot the USB you need to make sure youve disabled secure boot and that legacy boot is enabled.once it boots Kali will walk you through the install. It can be frustrating but youre almost there. Downloading and using UUI to make your boot drive wont take long at all. hope this helps you, GOOD LUCK!!!!!