Thread: Installed Kali without a bootloader, now black screen with blinking underscroll

Installed Kali without a bootloader, now black screen with blinking underscroll

Hi everyone,

So a bit of a noob here. My intent was to install Kali on my external harddrive but I may have accidentally screwed up my windows7 partition, I'm not exactly sure what happened because my memory is horrendous.

So I'll repeat the whole process: installed kali successfully, presumably on my external HDD. Wasn't able to install GRUB or the other bootloader that supposedly comes with kali. I assumed that worst case I can just boot directly into windows7. I was wrong, I can't boot into windows and I can't even boot into my windows recovery partition.

So my questions/concerns are, is win7 gone? Is my recovery partition gone? Are my hard drives OK as in they are not irreparable? Is there a way to fix title so it boots into kali and/or windows?

Any advice is highly appreciated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by shapb View Post
    So my questions/concerns are, is win7 gone? Is my recovery partition gone? Are my hard drives OK as in they are not irreparable? Is there a way to fix title so it boots into kali and/or windows?

Any advice is highly appreciated at this point.
    first before doing something you don't know well try to inform about it and try to read about it, find it on google, make some conclusions. your windows is on hdd, but you broke mbr and that is the reason why you can not boot into windows.
    you can fix it with hiren's boot cd or with boot repair
    find it, read how to perform those task and make boot cd/usb and boot your computer.
    "My intent was to install Kali on my external harddrive "
    for this read this post
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...o+install+kali

Ok so this problem is still not solved, Hiren's boot CD failed me for the purpose of fixing the MBR, however I was able to access the linux OS on Hiren's boot and use the dd command to make a bootable USB with Kali Live. I reinstalled Kali again via a bootable USB instead of a bootable exernal harddrive which fixed a lot of problems. At least now I can boot into Kali. Now i'm trying to make a bootable windows 7 USB stick via the dd command to try to fix the MBR but I can't boot the USB for some reason, I'm also trying to burn something like Hiren's boot repair but again, I am having trouble making it bootable via dd.

Should I make a new thread since the focus seemed to have shifted into how to make a bootable USB via kali?