Thread: terminal crashes immediately after open

terminal crashes immediately after open

I rebooted recently, and now terminal fails to work. The terminal opens briefly with no prompt, then immediately closes again.
    I just made the switch from windows to Kali 5 days ago, so I'm lost. After a 15 hours of searching I found a post about 2 years ago of about the same Issue with Ubuntu
    The reply was
    Code:
    "Removing the source ~/.profile line from your ~/.profile"  ~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, ~./bashrc, ~/bash_login, /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile opening them and removing the line:

source ~/.profile

or

#[[ -s "$HOME/.profile" ]] && source "$HOME/.profile     

FYI: '~' is not a strange symbol, it just means your home directory. so its basically the path of .profile file.

Its HOME_DIRECTORY/.profile.
    I tried to search for that madness but it's in Klingon. Also I have no clue if this would work for me using Kali. If anyone can help me in anyway I would be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by MADN00BIE View Post
    I tried to search for that madness but it's in Klingon. Also I have no clue if this would work for me using Kali. If anyone can help me in anyway I would be very grateful.

you can always try to reinstall Kali and only way to learn Klingon is to speak with Klingons
    i don't know what version of Kali you used, but I recommended to use lite version and update it to full
    and first try if it is helpful

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

Thank you but I'm not one to reinstall every time I find an error. I just might have this issue again. Also I installed the latest version to start with and updated everything. Terminal worked fine but I was trying to get metasploit working as it always returns "postgresql selected, no connection" so trying to fix it I typed
    Code:
    ln -sf /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/config/database.yml /root/.msf4/database.yml
    #cp /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/config/database.yml /root/.msf4/database.yml
    I then did this
    Code:
    file=/root/.bash_aliases; [ -e $file ]
    grep -q '^alias msfconsole' $file 2>/dev/null || echo -e '\n### Metasploit\nalias msfconsole="msfconsole db_connect -y /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/config/database.yml"\n' >> $file
    source $file
    Then I restarted and the terminal opens briefly with no prompt, then immediately closes again.
    Also I can't run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal " as I have no terminal

EDIT: If I hit Control C the prompt comes back and I can use it again. Once closed it and reopen it it's blank and crashes again unless I hit Control C
    Last edited by MADN00BIE; 2015-10-14 at 20:47.