Thread: Issues with Asus BIOS maybe?

Issues with Asus BIOS maybe?

I have been attempting to get my laptop which is an ASUS GL551JW, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD (500GB C:/ + 500GM D:/). I have attempted everything I have read on how to maybe get this to work - getting into the BIOS and disabling the Secure Boot option, changing the boot priority from HDD to USB, disabling the legacy boot option that I found, changing everything I can think of in the BIOS to get it to work, and it still won't work. My computer still boots straight into Windows without even attempting, from what I can tell, to boot off of the USB drive. What did I do wrong, what do I need to fix, and/or what is missing?

this is problem related to uefi bios or windows secure and fast boot.
    you are doing something wrong.
    first read this
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh825112.aspx
    and after that just confirm if you have options to boot from other media, nothig elese.
    if it is not possible then second step is to disable fast boot.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    then after that once again just try if you have options to boot from other media.
    after that proceed to prepare hdd and make usb for install Kali
    also read post here and you will find some good advice
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-easy-solution

If your bios is anything like my G751JM, ensure that you have "Secure Boot" disabled, "Fast Boot" disabled, enable "Launch CSM", and, though it shouldn't be needed, just for kicks enable "Launch PXE OpRom Policy". Save, and if you have a "Boot Override" option, look for your device there.

And actually, before you do any of that, make sure your usb is actually bootable.

Quote Originally Posted by ezstyles View Post
    If your bios is anything like my G751JM, ensure that you have "Secure Boot" disabled, "Fast Boot" disabled, enable "Launch CSM", and, though it shouldn't be needed, just for kicks enable "Launch PXE OpRom Policy". Save, and if you have a "Boot Override" option, look for your device there.

And actually, before you do any of that, make sure your usb is actually bootable.
    Yes, you are right. It works on my Asus G551JW.

Thank you all. I'll try all of this tonight and return with results.

And, @EastOfEden - that's a very darn close computer to mine (same model family and all that jazz) so I might be sending you some PMs to get some more advice and so forth.

@ezstyles - How do you tell if the USB is bootable? Is there some of test that I can run on the drive to verify this? This is the same thumb drive that I was using for the previous version of Kali on a Win7 computer previously if that helps with anything.

What program did you use to make the usb and on what os? If on Windows, try Rufus. Personally I had issues with getting the prebuilt iso's to boot as well and I built a custom iso through live-build. You might give that a shot

starsin, I installed it successfully, but I have another issue that Kali doesn't show in boot menu.. Simply no Kali grub menu.

No dice at all yet. Will have to try again later. Not sure what I missed. But I was using unetbootin on windows and on Mac to create the USB (made it twice now). It's worked whenever I tried to boot it up on a windows 7 machine, but this windows 8.1 doesn't seem to want to play nice.