Thread: Dual Boot Kali Linux 2.0 alongside Windows 10 *Please help*

Dual Boot Kali Linux 2.0 alongside Windows 10 *Please help*

Greetings to everyone reading this. I would like to respectfully ask for some assistance from any and all who are inclined (and qualified) to provide it. But before I jump into that as if I am entitled to it I suppose I should provide a little background:

I am extremely new to penetration testing and the reason for my interest is twofold; 1. I have a genuine thirst for knowledge and once something captures my attention I have a tendency to dive in headfirst &, 2. I initially wanted to test the security of my personal website, system & network and quickly realized this has the potential to become a legitimate career rather than just an idle hobby.

At first I was running Kali Linux 2.0 on VM's; VirtualBox and VMWare, respectively but it quickly became apparent that I was unable to enjoy the full functionality of this wonderful program on either of those because the NAT connection is extremely limited and I could never get the bridged connection to actually work despite hour after hour spent researching and trouble shooting.

So I decided me next best bet would be to attempt a dual boot alongside my main OS of Windows 10, which brings us to the issue I am asking for help with:

As per the numerous tutorials of the process I have looked at, I see the first step is to create a disk partition. Which I have attempted, numerous times, to no avail. I just tried to upload images to give you a detailed look at what I am seeing but I am told that I do not have permission to do so, for some reason. I imagine it is probably because this is my first post here. But I digress.

Since I am unable to upload images, I will type out the information as it appears in the Disk Management GUI throughout the process of attempting to shrink the volume:

OS (C
    463.67 GB
    Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

*^right click > "Shrink Volume..."*

Shrink C:
    Total size before shrink in MB: 474594
    Size of available shrink space in MB: 142769
    Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB: 10240 *<manually entered, auto-populates as 142769*
    Total size after shrink in MB: 464354

*^ > "Shrink"*

[Disk Management]
    (X) There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.

Now, unless I am mistaken, logic would dictate that there is indeed more than enough disk space available to complete the operation. I am no expert when it comes to math but I am fairly certain that 10240 is smaller than 142769.
    By that same token, logic would also seem to dictate that perhaps the issue I am facing is that I can not partition that disk because that disk is where my OS is located and is currently running. However, in every tutorial I have watched, the person can be seen doing exactly what I have attempted numerous times without issue. This has become quite frustrating. I am hoping there is someone here with the expertise to advise me on how to resolve this issue so I can successfully boot Kali Linux 2.0 alongside Windows 10.

To facilitate troubleshooting, here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 15R-5521
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.88 GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
    Running Windows 10 Home, upgraded from the Windows 8 factory installed OS

I hope I have provided sufficient information to be of use to anyone willing/able to help.

Is what I am attempting even possible with what I have at my disposal? Would I be better off just wiping Windows from my system entirely and devoting the entire system to running the Kali Linux 2.0 platform?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1 step make any Linux boot usb/cd/dvd (Ubuntu,Mint...). then boot in live mode.
    and just provide detailed information about your hdd partition table with Gparted here how it is look like
    I am thinking that you already have 4 partitions on thy system and one or two need to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Inciting.Riots View Post
    Greetings to everyone reading this. I would like to respectfully ask for some assistance from any and all who are inclined (and qualified) to provide it. But before I jump into that as if I am entitled to it I suppose I should provide a little background:

I am extremely new to penetration testing and the reason for my interest is twofold; 1. I have a genuine thirst for knowledge and once something captures my attention I have a tendency to dive in headfirst &, 2. I initially wanted to test the security of my personal website, system & network and quickly realized this has the potential to become a legitimate career rather than just an idle hobby.

At first I was running Kali Linux 2.0 on VM's; VirtualBox and VMWare, respectively but it quickly became apparent that I was unable to enjoy the full functionality of this wonderful program on either of those because the NAT connection is extremely limited and I could never get the bridged connection to actually work despite hour after hour spent researching and trouble shooting.

So I decided me next best bet would be to attempt a dual boot alongside my main OS of Windows 10, which brings us to the issue I am asking for help with:

As per the numerous tutorials of the process I have looked at, I see the first step is to create a disk partition. Which I have attempted, numerous times, to no avail. I just tried to upload images to give you a detailed look at what I am seeing but I am told that I do not have permission to do so, for some reason. I imagine it is probably because this is my first post here. But I digress.

Since I am unable to upload images, I will type out the information as it appears in the Disk Management GUI throughout the process of attempting to shrink the volume:

OS (C
    463.67 GB
    Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

*^right click > "Shrink Volume..."*

Shrink C:
    Total size before shrink in MB: 474594
    Size of available shrink space in MB: 142769
    Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB: 10240 *<manually entered, auto-populates as 142769*
    Total size after shrink in MB: 464354

*^ > "Shrink"*

[Disk Management]
    (X) There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.

Now, unless I am mistaken, logic would dictate that there is indeed more than enough disk space available to complete the operation. I am no expert when it comes to math but I am fairly certain that 10240 is smaller than 142769.
    By that same token, logic would also seem to dictate that perhaps the issue I am facing is that I can not partition that disk because that disk is where my OS is located and is currently running. However, in every tutorial I have watched, the person can be seen doing exactly what I have attempted numerous times without issue. This has become quite frustrating. I am hoping there is someone here with the expertise to advise me on how to resolve this issue so I can successfully boot Kali Linux 2.0 alongside Windows 10.

To facilitate troubleshooting, here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 15R-5521
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.88 GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
    Running Windows 10 Home, upgraded from the Windows 8 factory installed OS

I hope I have provided sufficient information to be of use to anyone willing/able to help.

Is what I am attempting even possible with what I have at my disposal? Would I be better off just wiping Windows from my system entirely and devoting the entire system to running the Kali Linux 2.0 platform?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    LOL am sorry to say it will never work. Sorry for being harsh if I sound like one. No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that. I have hp envy 15'' 2013 model with windows 8 pre-installed , 64-bit architecture and I tried everything you can imagine but the grub bootloader wont just load and that caused my windows to go corrupt and then it crashed. The main culprit is hardware not software. I took my laptop to a local engineer and he said the system architecture and hardware is such that it will never take kali linux and you won't be able to downgrade your laptop either. So literally no chance with the current machine I have. The only solution he told me was either to use kali live usb mode everytime(which is not full package you know) or buy a DOS based laptop. There are plenty of them in the market if you do a online search. and about your problem I think your windows must have been crashed since installing kali directly interferes with the MBR , atleast in my case it did. So good luck buying a new one. I am already thinking of buying DELL XPS 13 or HP Pavilion 13-a201TU 13.3-inch Touchscreen or Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (Intel 2-in-1 Laptop) (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1/ Touch) (59-442014) and will update this thread once I buy and successfully install kali but that will take another 15-20 days because am superbusy with my work right now lol. Plus I have to discuss extensively with the seller as to what my expectations are from the laptop that am gonna buy. Am not a fan of 15 inch , they are too heavy for me to carry plus they look quiet big you know. but the 13 inch models are quiet handy , light weight specially if its an ultrabook and does the job of a 15'' , lookwise/display wise not too big , not small , just perfect. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sk90 View Post
    LOL am sorry to say it will never work. Sorry for being harsh if I sound like one. No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that. I have hp envy 15'' 2013 model with windows 8 pre-installed , 64-bit architecture and I tried everything you can imagine but the grub bootloader wont just load and that caused my windows to go corrupt and then it crashed. The main culprit is hardware not software. I took my laptop to a local engineer and he said the system architecture and hardware is such that it will never take kali linux and you won't be able to downgrade your laptop either. So literally no chance with the current machine I have. The only solution he told me was either to use kali live usb mode everytime(which is not full package you know) or buy a DOS based laptop. There are plenty of them in the market if you do a online search. and about your problem I think your windows must have been crashed since installing kali directly interferes with the MBR , atleast in my case it did. So good luck buying a new one. I am already thinking of buying DELL XPS 13 or HP Pavilion 13-a201TU 13.3-inch Touchscreen or Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (Intel 2-in-1 Laptop) (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1/ Touch) (59-442014) and will update this thread once I buy and successfully install kali but that will take another 15-20 days because am superbusy with my work right now lol. Plus I have to discuss extensively with the seller as to what my expectations are from the laptop that am gonna buy. Am not a fan of 15 inch , they are too heavy for me to carry plus they look quiet big you know. but the 13 inch models are quiet handy , light weight specially if its an ultrabook and does the job of a 15'' , lookwise/display wise not too big , not small , just perfect. :-)
    Your whole answer is totally wrong. I have to strongly disagree with your and yours local engineer conclusion.
    1.) "No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that" . Explain why is that?
    2.) "I tried everything you can imagine". Really I can not imagine what you are trying. Should I believe you?
    3.) "The main culprit is hardware" - which hardware and why?
    4.) "or buy a DOS based laptop". you can have DOS based computer on any comp if you wipe whole hdd or change hdd. you don't need to buy new computer because of that.

only what I want to say your answer is only your specific conclusion, it is not rule.
    and one good thing is if someone want to buy a computer, before that to examine is hardware compatible with specific OS . from my point of view i will never buy comp with ,for example, nvidia chipset for Linux.
    and this link shows how to install ubunut (also Kali, Debian, etc...) on preinstallede Windows 8 64
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/22183...dows-with-uefi

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    Your whole answer is totally wrong. I have to strongly disagree with your and yours local engineer conclusion.
    1.) "No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that" . Explain why is that?
    2.) "I tried everything you can imagine". Really I can not imagine what you are trying. Should I believe you?
    3.) "The main culprit is hardware" - which hardware and why?
    4.) "or buy a DOS based laptop". you can have DOS based computer on any comp if you wipe whole hdd or change hdd. you don't need to buy new computer because of that.

only what I want to say your answer is only your specific conclusion, it is not rule.
    and one good thing is if someone want to buy a computer, before that to examine is hardware compatible with specific OS . from my point of view i will never buy comp with ,for example, nvidia chipset for Linux.
    and this link shows how to install ubunut (also Kali, Debian, etc...) on preinstallede Windows 8 64
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/22183...dows-with-uefi
    LOL sorry again. You might be right in the present. But in the past I won lol. Because Kali has released an updated version/latest version 1.0.9 or 2.0 as it is called which is said to be compatible with UEFI Boot menu. I am saying so because I read it on one of the forums. As for your links which shows how to install kali and what not on a pre-installed windows 8 laptops , there are 100's of sites which give you 1000's of methods which never worked atleast for me because it was an old version 1.0.8 which I tried with. I checked out the downloads page of kali and its showing up a new version. So like I said , on a tech website , in one of their forums it was said that it would be compatible with UEFI Boot Menu and the issue is fixed now. So what am gonna do is try installing the new version on my old hp laptop , on which the 1.0.8 version never worked(which I tried relentlessly couple of months ago) and post an update here within 12-15 days. Now coming back to your [1.) "No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that" . Explain why is that?] I do not why is that so. All I heard was the UEFI Boot Menu issue and the hardware issue. Installing kali interferes with the MBR somehow. I don't know if that's because you are trying to install grub when windows actually has its own MBR. Clash of the two titans?? may be. [4.) "or buy a DOS based laptop". you can have DOS based computer on any comp if you wipe whole hdd or change hdd. you don't need to buy new computer because of that.] oh really?? sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about laptops and computers huh. Also let me share my expereicne of Live USB mode. The Live USB mode was successful. I could run kali smoothly but it was not a full package. Yes I could do apt-get-install but my USB stick had only 32GB plus I chose the option of "not letting anything happen permanently" hence everytime I booted up from the Stick previous data would erase automatically. Hope this helps.

@Sk90
    "You might be right in the present. But in the past I won "
    just read this post and make your own conclusions.
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux
    second my advice for you is do not give any advice like:
    "No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that"
    and when someone asked you to explain that your answer is
    "I do not why is that so. All I heard was the UEFI Boot Menu issue and the hardware issue"
    that what you heard keep for yourself

Cheers
    duxim

no, it's totally possible to install kali alongside win10. it totally is. UEFI presents an architectural challenge but, hello, ubuntu owns all the non win/mac world and people have been working on this problem ever since win8 came out.

first, look for a firmware upgrade from the manufacturer of your computer. I have an acer something-something and I logged in, found the model, and downloaded an upgrade to the "bios" (I put it in quotes because it's technically not BIOS anymore, it's UEFI), which for me offered a mode called Legacy, which permitted (though I cannot say how ... ), which permitted an actual change to the boot order. I put USB at the top, booted back into Windows. Then I made the usb boot drive, which I made with a program called unetboot, which I do not recommend. The commands for installation appeared incorrect, and despite being unfamiliar with the syntax, I hacked it together and it installed. I recommend instead something which looks quite promising but which I have not tried, called easyBCD recommended in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    @Sk90
    "You might be right in the present. But in the past I won "
    just read this post and make your own conclusions.
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux
    second my advice for you is do not give any advice like:
    "No matter what you do Kali will never work on pre-installed windows 8/10 systems mind you that"
    and when someone asked you to explain that your answer is
    "I do not why is that so. All I heard was the UEFI Boot Menu issue and the hardware issue"
    that what you heard keep for yourself

Cheers
    duxim
    you need to shut up. you need not tell me what advice to give others or not. you are not my manager. this thread is not started by you. if you find me insulting or something like that you may ignore my words/statements. Again , Just for your info the new kali version 1.0.9 is compatible with all new UEFI boot menu. I don't repeat my statements unless some idiots want me to. I guess you read what wish to and not the entire thing and then keep complaining about what advice to give and what not.....

@sk90
    Quote Originally Posted by sk90 View Post
    I don't repeat my statements unless some idiots want me to.
    The words we use to describe someone always describes us. Pure psychology.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I tried dual booting alongside Windows 10, and shrunk space from C drive. I opened Kali through Live and pointed at the free space and I got "Too many primary partitions error". But all I have is 2 primary: 1.System reserved 2.C: drive. I try to make in Gparted same error. I tried in Windows I can make only one partition(can use for / ) but can't make /home and swap. I can't even make ext4 logical partiton only primary is allowed. Please help!!! The diagram is as follows:
    Capture.jpg

Please help. Thanks in advance