Greetings to everyone reading this. I would like to respectfully ask for some assistance from any and all who are inclined (and qualified) to provide it. But before I jump into that as if I am entitled to it I suppose I should provide a little background:

I am extremely new to penetration testing and the reason for my interest is twofold; 1. I have a genuine thirst for knowledge and once something captures my attention I have a tendency to dive in headfirst &, 2. I initially wanted to test the security of my personal website, system & network and quickly realized this has the potential to become a legitimate career rather than just an idle hobby.

At first I was running Kali Linux 2.0 on VM's; VirtualBox and VMWare, respectively but it quickly became apparent that I was unable to enjoy the full functionality of this wonderful program on either of those because the NAT connection is extremely limited and I could never get the bridged connection to actually work despite hour after hour spent researching and trouble shooting.

So I decided me next best bet would be to attempt a dual boot alongside my main OS of Windows 10, which brings us to the issue I am asking for help with:

As per the numerous tutorials of the process I have looked at, I see the first step is to create a disk partition. Which I have attempted, numerous times, to no avail. I just tried to upload images to give you a detailed look at what I am seeing but I am told that I do not have permission to do so, for some reason. I imagine it is probably because this is my first post here. But I digress.

Since I am unable to upload images, I will type out the information as it appears in the Disk Management GUI throughout the process of attempting to shrink the volume:

OS (C
463.67 GB
Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

*^right click > "Shrink Volume..."*

Shrink C:
Total size before shrink in MB: 474594
Size of available shrink space in MB: 142769
Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB: 10240 *<manually entered, auto-populates as 142769*
Total size after shrink in MB: 464354

*^ > "Shrink"*

[Disk Management]
(X) There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.

Now, unless I am mistaken, logic would dictate that there is indeed more than enough disk space available to complete the operation. I am no expert when it comes to math but I am fairly certain that 10240 is smaller than 142769.
By that same token, logic would also seem to dictate that perhaps the issue I am facing is that I can not partition that disk because that disk is where my OS is located and is currently running. However, in every tutorial I have watched, the person can be seen doing exactly what I have attempted numerous times without issue. This has become quite frustrating. I am hoping there is someone here with the expertise to advise me on how to resolve this issue so I can successfully boot Kali Linux 2.0 alongside Windows 10.

To facilitate troubleshooting, here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 15R-5521
Processor: Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.88 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
Running Windows 10 Home, upgraded from the Windows 8 factory installed OS

I hope I have provided sufficient information to be of use to anyone willing/able to help.

Is what I am attempting even possible with what I have at my disposal? Would I be better off just wiping Windows from my system entirely and devoting the entire system to running the Kali Linux 2.0 platform?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.