Thread: No audio from custom image of Chromebook (Snow) - Am I the only one? Help?

No audio from custom image of Chromebook (Snow) - Am I the only one? Help?

Everything else works great but I've been torturing myself for a day trying to get the sound to work on my Chromebook. One other user seemed to have had the same problem but the post was from a year ago and a different version of a ARM based (Chromebook) Kali. Thinking it's a problem on my end I tried everything before posting. I've uninstalled and re-installed alsa-base, pulseaudio, puvcontrol, messed with the alsamixer, updated and upgraded the distro, et cetera but no dice.

The custom image I used: https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/ (under Chromebooks)

One funky thing I've noticed that when I enter alsamixer, the some volume controls (such as stereo - the important ones) are locked to 00 (not mute) but highlighted red. You can't raise the volume.

I've flashed two micro SD cards back-to-back to make sure I started off fresh to determine the problem, if any. I don't think it's an hardware issue because the audio in ChromeOS works fine. Anyone else encounter the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by slowsum View Post
    Everything else works great but I've been torturing myself for a day trying to get the sound to work on my Chromebook. One other user seemed to have had the same problem but the post was from a year ago and a different version of a ARM based (Chromebook) Kali. Thinking it's a problem on my end I tried everything before posting. I've uninstalled and re-installed alsa-base, pulseaudio, puvcontrol, messed with the alsamixer, updated and upgraded the distro, et cetera but no dice.

The custom image I used: https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/ (under Chromebooks)

One funky thing I've noticed that when I enter alsamixer, the some volume controls (such as stereo - the important ones) are locked to 00 (not mute) but highlighted red. You can't raise the volume.

I've flashed two micro SD cards back-to-back to make sure I started off fresh to determine the problem, if any. I don't think it's an hardware issue because the audio in ChromeOS works fine. Anyone else encounter the same problem?

In the other thread you mention a different machine - the 503C12 or some such - that's a Peach Pi (iirc) not Snow. That said - what I've noticed is that even with the ucm-config files in place, you may need to unmute some specific channels - I don't recall their exact names, but they are something like Right Blah Right DAC, Right Blah Left DAC, Left Blah Left DAC, Left Blah Right DAC - I forgot to mention that in the other thread. Next time I'm near my Snow or Peach, I'll look up exactly what they are called and post the names here. And this is for all Chromebooks it seems, even minnie (Veyron/MK3288-based) runs into the issue.

Actually - it was bugging me so I went and grabbed it to look up the names. The 4 that you need to unmute are

Left Speaker Mixer Left DAC
    Left Speaker Mixer Right DAC
    Right Speaker Mixer Left DAC
    Right Speaker Mixer Right DAC
    Last edited by steev; 2015-10-21 at 08:54.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    In the other thread you mention a different machine - the 503C12 or some such - that's a Peach Pi (iirc) not Snow. That said - what I've noticed is that even with the ucm-config files in place, you may need to unmute some specific channels - I don't recall their exact names, but they are something like Right Blah Right DAC, Right Blah Left DAC, Left Blah Left DAC, Left Blah Right DAC - I forgot to mention that in the other thread. Next time I'm near my Snow or Peach, I'll look up exactly what they are called and post the names here. And this is for all Chromebooks it seems, even minnie (Veyron/MK3288-based) runs into the issue.
    Apologies, I thought this thread was eaten up by the filter so I just replied to the other one. Sorry I should've said Peach not Snow. Ah, thanks for the extra tips! Your efforts are always appreciated by lurkers like me.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    Actually - it was bugging me so I went and grabbed it to look up the names. The 4 that you need to unmute are

Left Speaker Mixer Left DAC
    Left Speaker Mixer Right DAC
    Right Speaker Mixer Left DAC
    Right Speaker Mixer Right DAC
    My god, that was such an easy solution that I feel embarrassed for even making a thread about it. OF COURSE I should've just unmuted everything set by set to and hope it works but I got kind of scared when I heard sharp crackling noises and stopped in fear of blowing out the speakers. Ugh. I feel stupid. I mean of course it's going to be different on a embed! Thank you for the help.

It's completely understandable. I'll try to get the documentation updated to point out unmuting those 4 options which are the only ones afaik that need to be for audio to work.