Thread: Problems with Username and Password

Problems with Username and Password

Hi,

Im trying to install Kali linux on my Mac bookPro

Now the whole process of the installation went smoot until I came at the screen that asked for my login and password

I gave up a password at the beginning of the installation and I do remember it but it won't accept it and I have no clue how it comes

As username I used root

And as password the one I gave up at the beginning of the installation

I already tried to reset it through safe mode and it accepted it succesfully to an easyer one

But also that password won't get accept

Plz someone help

try toor as default password on root

Us professional "hackers" use a very complicated password that is nearly impossible to guess or crack and would take trillions of years to brute force.

It's our username (root) spelled backwards (toor).

(also check caps-lock, it's all lower case)

Did you ever get this resolved? Downloaded and burnt 3 ISO's, Ive re-installed Kali three times, tried the password hack on Kali boot, nothing works. This is one broken software product.

GrampaT, have you checked the hashes? It sounds like you have a broken download

Im having the same problem. After install I enter "root" and it simply hangs after i press enter. I downloaded it again. Burned a new disk. Same problem. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wcook101 View Post
    Im having the same problem. After install I enter "root" and it simply hangs after i press enter. I downloaded it again. Burned a new disk. Same problem. Any ideas?
    yes first idea is to read carefully post here and find solution.
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

This sounds like the same problem I was having. After about 4 hours of trial and error, I've found my problem and maybe yours. During installation, if you choose a root password, then it will skip the username and password setup. The problem is that when you reboot, you cannot log in to Kali without a username and password. So to solve the problem, I left the root password blank, then was able to set the Username and password. Finish installation and reboot. Then I can log in and go to terminal to create a new root password. This is where the "toor" password comes in. The Kali generic password for root is toor. Hopefully this is the solution to your issue as well.

Follow up: After install with Username and Password set, I found that the root password was not "toor" or the password that I put in for my Username. So I edited the grub bootloader as directed by QHacker on his youtube video using the 'rw init=/bin/bash' in place of 'ro.........quiet'.

All of this was with the amd64bit complete version. After this, I got out my old Acer Aspire One ZG5 and made a bootable USB with the i386 light version. The same installation process was needed, no root on install, set username and password, then edit grub to prompt new password creation.

Hope this info is useful to others and complete enough for everyone to follow easily.
    Last edited by Stephe; 2016-01-02 at 02:34. Reason: Follow up details